Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

After much convincing my cons has agreed to check my tubes.  He is sorting out a HSG for me.  Can any of you ladies tell me what to expect in terms of what will happen, does it hurt, does it need to be done at a particular time of cycle - basically any info you can give?  Before I get myself in a state!!!  ::)

Thanks you for reading.

Karin

xxx

·
Premium Member
5,521 Posts
Hi Hun

Its normally done before day 10 of your cycle.... Its over in about 10 minutes.

Its like having a smear to begin with, then they insert a long thin tube into your cervix.  Then a contrast liquid get past though in to your uterus and hopefully through your tubes and out the othe side.

It doesnt hurt, just feels like a period pain when the liquid get past through. Thats it, you may bleed after so you might want to take a pad with you!

Good luck
Natalie xxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Hi ya  :)

I had my HSG last year.  I think it can be a bit more uncomfy if they have trouble getting the dye through your tubes (mine are basically blocked!) but it still wasn't too bad and only lasts about 10 minutes anyway  ;)

I read another similar post on here, so have a search for HSG and see if it brings it up.  Someone on theer suggested that you take a couple of paracetamol 30 minutes beforehand.

Honestly don't worry, it's not bad at all.  I wouldn't be concerned about having it done again if I had to.

Good luck
Lully x

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Just to add to the debate. I have had 2.  One really hurt and I felt like it was a very painful period and didnt feel "right" the rest of the day.  The second I had to ask when they were going to start and it was already 3/4 of the way through.

My understanding of it is is that it is often more painful if you have blocked tubes as obviously they are forcing dye up them. I had one tube that it didnt go up at all the first time but for the second they were clear.

Sometimes I understand an HSG can have a good effect in clearing out any tubes which can be great if this is your problem and I know of ladies who have had natural pregnancies after such a procedure.

I was prescribed anti-bs for both occasions as there is a slight risk of infection.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies ladies.  I'm glad to have a good cross section of peoples experiences.  Can you tell me when do you get the results?  Then and there or do you have to wait for cons appointment?

Thanks again

xxx

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Hi hun,

I had two, only because the first attempt they couldnt get the tube through my cervix  :eek: the second attempt didnt hurt as such, just really bad period like cramps, and i felt a bit sick and faint.

You should get the results there and then, if not ask. I didnt and had to wait till my appt, and my cons was annoyed they hadnt told me and i wished id asked as it was a long time to wait to find out.

Nikki xx

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nikki That's what I was worried about. My next appoinmtent is not until Sept so think I'd go crazy waiting until then!!!

xxx

·
Registered
566 Posts
KW33, just picked up on this thread.  I had a blocked tube and it was a wee bit sore, like a period pain but not really bad at all.

My con actually did my HSG and told me exactly what the situation was there and then.  We then went through things in more detail and discussed options at my next appointment so hopefully you will get the results straight away.

Good luck ^fingerscrossed^

Foxy x

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hi KW

I was dreading my HSG but it was absolutely fine, as you can see people's experiences vary widely.

They use much smaller thinner tubes these days than they used to so fingers crossed you will be fine. It can hurt when the dye comes out the ends of the fallopian tubes into the abdomen, so even if you do have some pain, doesn't by any means mean that there's necessarily something wrong!

It is generally done between CD7-10 to guarantee that you are not pregnant when receiving xrays. In our region you have to have ruled out infections like thrush, chlamydia etc before they will book it but this varies.

I was advised to take some simple painkillers 30 mins beforehand and make sure you take a pad with you for afterwards. The radiologist will know whether it is looking normal while they are doing it, but you may have to specifically ask to get the result on the spot.

Best of luck and fingers crossed you will sail through it!  :)

fizzgig xxx

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Hi
I searched lots before mine as well to see people's experiences because I was worried, and as you asked I will be honest. I found it very painful - but only for probably seconds - felt longer. It hadn't helped that they tried to do the hycosy first as I said I would prefer that - no radiation, but couldn't get the bits in to do for some reason then had to wait for the HSG so already in some discomfort and panic had set in. I took some nurofen before but not sure it helped - can't do any harm though. Everyone is different and so many people find it fine. I felt sorry for the staff as I seriously screamed but as I say it was over very quickly and I had no after effects at all - I had to drive home in the end as DP felt really faint - he didn't even come in! We are not a great couple in that respect. It is worth it though and they told me straight away that all was clear, I then took the pics and the report to my clinic - I had it done privately locally.  the other good thing is that several people then have a positive as it does clear out the tubes.
Good luck - it is over quickly
Tiny

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
Karin,
I had one when TTC Bel and actually got my BFP the same cycle.
Were told had to be done by day 10 and it didn't matter if you were bleeding or not.  I took some painkillers just before and it was painful till the dye started to spill out but that was it afterwards nothing. I would advise to take a sanitry towel as you will still leak dye and may bleed a little.
I was told straight away everything looked clear and the consultant would confirm at appointment. some are told not to TTC that cycle but we weren't told and well can see the result

1 - 11 of 11 Posts