Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has any one had an hsg in the xray department did it hurt and for how long did u bleed after it can i use tampons or do i need towels please help going for it next week very worried

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
Hi Sarah,

I had a HSG a couple of months ago (following on from a HyCoSy). It's not painful, more uncomfortable (like a smear test). I ached a little afterwards similar to a mild period cramp but it was certainly not that painful.

Afterwards I bled for a few days and decided to use towels rather than tampax - the nurse reccommended it as apparently there is less risk of infection (no idea if that is true or not!) plus I was fed up of having things shoved up where the sun don't shine  ;D

My advice would be to relax and think of the baby you are one step closer to getting.
Good luck

Debs

·
Registered
840 Posts
It really is nothing to worry about, it is just like a smear.  Some girls recommend taking a pain killer about half hour before. I found it more uncomfortable than painful, I used towels aswelll but didn't really get too much bleeding from it.

Please don't worry about it too much, like Debs says it really is one step clser to a baby!

^goodluck^ ^goodluck^

·
Premium Member
2,340 Posts
Hi Sarah,

I had heard many horror stories about HSG's, so by the time i went and had mine, i was filled with dread!  However, all that washed away and I was left feeling afterwards, well what was all the fuss about!!!

It is just like having a smear - assuming you've had one of those?, as in they use a speculum.  They then insert a fine tube, squirt the dye in, take a few x ray pictures and that's it - more or less!  The discomfort may come from the dye "filling and spilling" from the tubes.  At worst you may get some mild cramping.  You should get to see it all happening on a TV screen nearby - fascinating!
Don't think I bled that much.  Used a pad, as advised against a tampon, to cut down risk of infection.
You will obviously get some leakage from excess dye - which will come our clear - it just looks blue on the x-ray pics! 
Some may not react well to the procedure, but in general, it's pretty harmless and does generally tell you there and then whether or not your tubes are blocked!

Very best of Luck and let us know how it goes!

Tamsin
x

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.