Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Jeanette,

Amy is almost 11 weeks old and I just want to check something about her feeding.  This is what she has:

7pm 8oz hungry baby formula
for the last 3 weeks she has generally slept through till 4am, but 3 times has gone through the whole night and 3 times has woken up at 1am for a feed too, as she did last night.

7oz of normal formula whenever she wakes up in the morning, then the next one 4 hours later of 7oz hungry baby, then depending how it will work with her last feed at 7pm so sometimes 3 1/2 hours later, 7oz of normal formula.  

Yesterday she had a feed at 6.30am and then was grizzly at 10 so I gave her a feed anyway and she just fell right asleep.  She was then grizzly when she woke up 3 hours later so I gave her another feed and she was fine, and again 3 hours later.  My HV told me she should go about 4 hours now but doing every 3 yesterday seemed to make her a lot happier but I don't want her to flip off the scale - she is already 15lb 2oz!  

Does it sound like she should be on hungry baby all the time now?  I wonder if this is why she sometimes still wakes up in the night or is this just what babies do to start with when they begin to sleep through? Should I give her water if she's grizzly before 4 hours is up during the day so that she will last until 4 hours?

Any advice appreciated!

Love Jen & Amy xxx

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Hiya Jen & Amy!

You could try going onto the hungry formula milk all the time and see how she goes.

It could also be that Amy is having a growing spurt hence the increase in amount and frequency of feeds.

If the hungry formula doesnt work then go for the water.

Let me know how you get on

jeanettexx

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi,

Just wondered whether you daughter is on SMA by any chance.  There is nothing wrong with SMA, but in my experience more babies on SMA go on to hungry baby formula, than other formulas.  Sometimes if you swap the formula to Aptamil, Cow&Gate or Farleys they will be satisfied on the first milk and not need the hungrier one, which is sometimes better as they take less of the hungry one and can get really constipated as they're not having the fluid.  This is just my opinion, I have nothing scientific to base it on, just experience as a nursery nurse.

If she isn't, could she just be thirsty sometimes? That can be what it is sometimes, have you tried her with cooled, boiled water? I know most hate it and pull some wonderful faces but its worth persevering as she might go longer and if she does need hungry baby formula she'll be getting extra fluid with the water which might stop her getting constipated.

Hope she settles for longer for you soon. 

p.s Amy is absolutely gorgeous!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jeanette, I'll give it a go!

Clairabeth, thanks for the advice - Amy is actually on Aptamil already and thank you for your kind comment!

Love Jen xxx

·
Registered
349 Posts
HI-im just waiting for everyone to get on my case for this :-\,but my dd was born weighing 8lbs and formula was never enough for her.I asked my health visitor about introducing some form of solid food which they refused because they said she was too young at 8weeks.But my mum told me to add a rusk to her bottle(but check to be sure the teet doesnt block)in the morning and last thing at night,and after that she was a dream,she slept from 9pm-8am and wasn't crying all day.Brittish midwifes will advise against this but in some countries they feed their babies chewed up food from birth :p(not keen on chewing up food for my child) ;D.Hope this is usefull to you.Skye. :-*

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi again-i thought id better add i'm NOT a nurse or midwife.I just read this post and thought i'd post a reply incase it helped you.Skye. ::)

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
I'm woth the cool boiled water to see if she is thirsty or waking out of habit.  When Alex was little I was told to feed every 3 hours then you would get the calories into her so she would go longer at night.

You could try changing formula though - I found Alex was far happier on SMA than on Aptimil

Clare

·
Registered
13 Posts
Im just new on here but saw this thread and thought i'd add my penny's worth!!
My little boy was 9lb2oz when born and would eat day and night if i let him....at 9 weeks old i started giving him the packet food you mix  :eek:
I know, health visitors advise against it and midwife's do, but my mum and bens childminder all said, the sooner you get him onto food the better. He had a breakfast, lunch with pudding, a bottle at 3.30pm and then dinner with a pudding too!!
He would then wake up about 5am for a bottle too, which i then got rid of by using water as thought theres no way he can be hungry!!

Everyone say's different techniques but its upto the individual to try what they think is best for their baby.

Note: In my experience, i've found that babys who are put onto packet food/or any food at an earlier age instead of the recommended 4-6 months, have had no problems as they've grown up with eating. But everyone i know that has waited until the recommended age to wean have had nothing but trouble, baby wont take the food and wants bottle instead because they were never introduced to a different way of 'feeding' from an early age and so they get lazy and just want to suck. :-X
Maybe i shouldnt say that??!! ;)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all again!

Well for the third night running last night Amy was up for an extra feed at 2am!  Yesterday during the day I gave her all hungry baby except for one feed but it didn't seem to make any difference AND she didn't sleep much yesterday 'cos we were out so I thought she'd go right through being so tired - a common misconception I'm sure!!

Skye and EC - both my mum and MIL have said that we were on solids from 6 weeks old including rusks, didn't do us any harm did it?!!  I know you should listen to "current opinion" but let me just say now, I bet anything you like that before too long we will be told that babies must sleep on their fronts again!!  It's just the way the world goes, isn't it?!!  I am seeing the HV next week and am going to speak to her about solids early as Amy will be 12 weeks old on Sunday so she's almost 3 months and something I got through from Pampers the other day said you can wean from 4 months.  I might also try changing the formula as you've mentioned Claire.

Why is nothing simple??  :)

Thanks again guys!

Love Jen xxx

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi Serafena,

I've just read your 1st bit and noticed that Amy is 15lbs+, it didn't register the 1st time I read it.  Its just when I did my training as a nursery nurse the guidelines were 12 weeks for weaning, it then changed to 16 weeks or 16 lbs which ever came 1st, 1 reason for this change was people tended to wean earlier than 12 weeks and it could cause probs in some babies, so the theory was if they raised the guidelines by 4 weeks, generally the earliest people would start is 12 (I was told this by an excellent yet down to earth realistic health visitor).  I know the guidelines have changed now to 6 months, though I think that is mainly for breastfed babies, I certainly haven't ever known a bottlefed baby who was happy to go past 16 weeks/16lbs!  Also weaning is part of helping their speech development and babies who are left too long before starting solids seem in my experience to find it harder to cope without gagging etc.  Speak to your HV but it definitely sounds like Amy is ready for a bit of baby rice once a day, expect some wonderful facial expressions from her when you do start, make sure you have a camera ready or even better some else there to capture the moment, oh 1 more thing I know some Mums dread weaning, scared of baby choking etc..., but really just take it in your stride and enjoy her face with each new taste!

Hope this helps and good luck Clairabeth

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.