Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 311 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I was wondering if it is still possible to get a positive result when i have a hydrosalphinx which cant be clipped or removed.

Will the enbies still survive, I no it reduces the success rates

Any thoughts as i am a bit worried about it

Thanks
Sahara ^eyes^

·
Registered
110 Posts
hi sahara,
i cant see why the embies cant survive as women got pg b4 they started clipping and removing tubes... with ivf.....

when i had my tx back in 1999 and 2000 there was no mention of clipping or removing my tubes and one of the girls at my clinic at the time got a +tive and she had the same problems as me.....
so dont worry unneccessarily wont do you any good hun
all the best and good luck
petra

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hi
I had 4 attempts, the first 3 with hydro. I then had my tubes removed and fell pregnant. I know it is possible to achieve a pregnancy with hydro, but it does hinder the outcome.
Karen

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Hi, I am new to these boards but an old hand at living with infertility, I am now 32 nearly 33 and had an ectopic when I was 20 when the right tube ruptured and was removed I was told the other tube was also blocked and that to conceive I would need IVF, I went for a cycle of IVF when I was 21 which failed, my husband and I have recently decided to start ivf again but I have now been told that my notes say that my left tube is hydrosalpinx, this has been explained to me as fluid build up, my consultant has told me that tubal removal is not neccessary as my hydrosalpinx is quite small and is probably sealed, but on other websites I have read that the fluid build up can sometime backflow into the uterus and that this fluid is toxic to embryos, what should I do? Please help as I am now very confused and worried that if I dont have the tube removed then I will end up thinking that is the reason if the cycle fails again.
Dydie

·
Premium Member
16,348 Posts
Hi Dydie,

We have a whole area dedicated to this subject....

http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php/board,114.0.html

On a personal note - we were told that it would be the best thing to remove both of my wifes tubes due to backflow worries and her bilateral hydrosalpinx.

So we did.

We have since had success :)

Sending babydust your way ;)

Tony,
x

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Hi Tony
Congratulations on your success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
my situation is not quite as straight forward, as I seem to have an uphill battle on my hands to get someone to remove my tube!
I have posted a rant about my situation in the "diagnosis" "hydrosalpinx" board if your interested.
But I must admit that everyone seems to share your opinion of its better to get rid of hydro's and I know that if I don't I will always have it on my mind!
Dydie

·
Registered
500 Posts
hi dydie
i also have hydros in 1 tube .
firstly was told it had to be removed then told its too small iwas in despair.
but when i sat down will cons and it was explained to meif its large .. remove it if not leave well alone as sugery would be last resort as it could cause other complications... they should pick it up from scans during ivf.. i left well alone this is my 2nd go and small hydros was spotted and cons decided to leave it as it was small!!i am currently on 2ww i personally think each clinic is different and you have to take their advice as they know your bodys insides!!
hope this wasnt too confusing
marzy

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Ruth,
i'm new and i've posted a message on the introduction forum,i was'nt sure where to post.It's under something like'newbie with one blocked tube and hydrosalpinx,advice please'-JO40.I would really appreciate it if anyone could give me some advice as i'm worried sick and thought maybe Ruth might know what i should do.Thankyou so much.Josie.xxx 

·
Registered
337 Posts
hiya josie...

im not a nurse, but just thought i would send you some info, ,,,,,,,
i had blocked tubes and bilateral hydrosalpinx a few yrs ago but mine was a quite severe case so unfortunatley i 2 have both my tubes removed so that we could have ivf treatment, my consultant  did give me the option of them draining the tubes but there was a chance it could come back anytime, and is toxic which can kill an unborn baby, we had 2 ivf cycles last year with negatives and icsi this year with a posative but sadley we have just lost our baby :'(.
i hope this helps a bit, hope you get your baby soon and hope things turn out good with your tubes.
love lisa xxxx :-*

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Lisa,
Thankyou so much for your message.I had my hysteroscopy yesterday by Mr Taranissi,i told him my worries and he said that there is no need to take that tube away,he will drain it before e/t or e/c.I know he's the best in the country but i'm still worried and i've been told by lot's of people that he's the expert and he's very very good.I just dont know what to do or think.This will be our last go because of funds.A nurse from the ARGC is going to call me in a few days to tell me where we go from here.
I'm so so sorry to hear your news hun,you poor thing,you have been through so much.What are you going to do now Lisa,will you try again.Please try and stay strong and i wish you lots of luck for the future.Josie.xxx

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi,

My last cycle was abandoned after EC, as they discovered fluid in my tubes and uterus.  Had a follow-up consultation to be told that it's hydro, and am booked in for a laporoscopy to either 'divide' the tubes or remove, to give ourselves a better chance for implantation.  What exactly is this 'fluid'?  I was so keen on firing questions to the consultant to make sure it was the right thing to do and forgot to actually ask what it is?  I do have alot of adhesions apparently, and endo - are they connected?

Thanks for any responses

BH xx

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi BH,
I'm so sorry your treatment was cancelled hun.I too have blocked tubes and hydro.Hydro is a toxic fluid and it can destroy your embryos or stop implantation.It's really a shame that they never discovered it before your treatment.It's best to get rid of it before treatment.
I had icsi in April that failed which could have been because of my hydro but then i did'nt know anything about hydro and my old clinic did'nt mention anything about it.I'm now at ARGC and they are going to drain my hydro at e/c.I've been so worried about my next treatment failing again because of this and i've been postponing my treatment(was meant to have icsi in August).I was considering surgery to open my tubes and get rid of the hydro.After talking to my consultant about my worries i was told that i was in the best and that there was no reason for me to have surgery,so i've made a decision to have icsi in Jan '05 with them draining the fluid at e/c.Still worried though as i've been told the fluid can come back.If that does'nt work i'm going to have surgery on my tubes(i'm covered by health insurance for this).
I think though that everyones situation and problem is different.Good luck with your lap,try and ask lots of questions ie.the best thing that they can do for you to get your bfp.Good luck.
Please let us know how you get on.You can IM me anytime if you want to chat.Josie.xx

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hi.
I had the same problem! My fluid was found while i was down regging and they cancelled my cycle.It was our 1st go and was gutted!  The clinic told me i had a hydro but when i saw my gynae who did my lap before he said that it wasnt because i had had a lap 3 mnths ago and wasnt there then!So very confussed! Anyway i have adehisions and poss blocked tubes from appendix op 3 yrs ago . I am now waiting for app to sort out everything so we can start again! Really annoyed as we have got to wait 3 mnths for lap!!
So i dont know whether i have hydro as been told 2 different things! Guess i will have to wait till op and find out!
When is your lap?
Good luck
stacy

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi Josie & Stacy,

Thanks for your responses; it's such a comfort to know that others know what you are going through isn't it.

Josie:  really sorry to hear about your unsuccessful tx in April.  Like you, I'm now wondering if my last failed one (in June) was because of hydro.  The thing is, I actually went thru' major surgery (laporotomy) Jul 04 to remove a swollen tube (hydro was never mentioned, but apparently it would have been that if swollen..!!) but in theatre my cons decided not to remove the tube because it wasn't swollen at that time; and he thought best to leave it and didn't want to have an adverse affect on my ovary - so in a way I felt that the surgery was for nothing in the end (huge ab scar and out of action for 6-8 weeks!).  However, now I'm thinking if he had removed it, I may not be in this situation now!  I have a different cons now, and she said that by 'dividing' (as she called it) the tube thru lap now, they won't touch my ovary.  How confusing.  Anyway, as soon as this is over, we can then go for a FET, so at least we won't have to wait 2 long and hopefully no further probs of hydro.  I wonder why some women have it though, and others don't..?  Like you said, everyones situation is different isn't it.  I hope I'm not going to be going thru this laporoscopy for nothing. 

Stacy:  it's devastating to have a cycle cancelled isn't it, so sorry to hear that.  My first one was cancelled (last Jan) because I wasn't responding at all.  Couldn't believe it.  It's really confusing for you, having been told 2 different things.  A bit like me with my previous cons leaving my tube alone, and then this one saying best to go ahead and get rid of hydro..  At least with a lap they can see what is happening now so at least you'll know what's the best option for you after that.  I'm waiting to hear when my lap is - was supposed to be in 3 weeks time but it works out that I may have my AF then, so they are re-scheduling.  I'm hoping they can squeeze me in a week earlier, but more likely will have to be put back. 

Very best of luck to you both; do keep in touch and let me know how you''re doing

BH xx

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hi. Poor you! I cant belive they didnt sort problem out first time! How annoying and painful!
I dont understand how different gynaes have different ideas with regards hydros! My doc said they just drain them at egg collection so dont understand why i need lap? Im going to get a second opinion at private hospital in london and get op done there as just dont feel happy wih gynae at moment! Prob .going to cost fortune but think i need someone i can trust if messing about with bits and pieces!

With regards to your period due at time of lap,i had that prob with my 1st lap and the doctor can give you tablets to take 5 days before period to stop it coming so you would be able to go ahead!
Hope this helps as im sure you dont want anymore delays!
Stacy

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi,

As a follow-up, I went for my lap yesterday only to be told when I woke up from the anesthetic that they couldn't do it.  They did the usual examinations first, before proceeding, and said that my bowel is in the way and would have been dangerous.  Usually you can push it out of the way during this procedure, but with me it didn't look like it could be moved (things stuck together).  I was obviously gutted - I didn't think I could feel more useless in the reproductive sense than I already do but it topped it!  Just feel a complete mess now..

She said that I'm to go for a FET medicated next cycle anyway and if fluid is still there, try the following cycle.  I could go on like this forever...  I'm going to have a CT scan soon too, just so they can have a good look at the tube and hydro situation. 

Has anyone else had hydro in the past, but then gone on to have another cycle and it's gone?  I need to something positive to cling on to!!!

Thanks
BH x

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Hi, i think you will be resting up at the moment after your tube removal op, wanted to send my love and hope your not feeling too bad.  :-*
Im not sure exactly when u can go to ivf after your op, i thought 3 months but i could be wrong.
i hope you got some answers of your drs whebn u were at hospital.
Please let us know how it went, im having my tube out soon(ish) and am very interested in what happens.
Hope u r feeling ok hun.
Love Summer x

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi
Not sure if my experience will help, but I had one tube removed in August, and started IVF in December. I would have started the first cycle in November but that  didn't leave my enough time for Egg Collection before Christmas, hence the delay in starting until December.

I'm going privately due to the NHS waiting list, and my clinic were happy  for me to  start  IVF after  a  3 month gap. To be honest,  during the op they not only removed a tube but did a fair amount of  removal of adhesions etc to make my ovaries more accessible for IVF, and I  then found my next couple of AFs much more painful than before - not just the normal cramps and stuff  but actual sharp pains. I put this down to my uterus  getting used to  the changes and tube removal, but I didn't have a "normal" AF until just before I started IVF.

If I had to do it again, I'd leave it at  least 2-3 months after surgery before IVF. There doesn't seem much point in going into this with  the chance that everything isn't healed up and as good as it can be!

Hope this helps

Nicky

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Afternoon ladies

sorry to jump in, I am normally on the endo and/or Woking thread.

There is one thing I would like to ask if anyone can help, although I know there is a special thread for this but maybe someone could give me Woking's opinion or in general. I have been told I have Hydrosolphinx, (just another little fault in me  ^bigbad^    or however you spell it in my right blocked tube and have read this needs to be drained or the tube removed as it can be toxic and reduced IVF chances by 50%, anyone else had experience of this cause Woking have been told in writing but have not contacted me to say get it drained first and I dont want to fork out for consultation fee only to be told what I already know.

thanks ladies, love to all
cheesyb xxx

1 - 20 of 311 Posts