Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to see my consultant today at the diabetes care clinic.  I don't have diabetes...I guess they don't have PCOS-care clinics.

I was officially diagnosed as a young-hypertensive case, and this is (so she says) directly linked to PCOS.  I have been prescribed beta-blockers and we had a very quick chat about the effects this might have on a pregnancy.

The consultant told me to exercise more, so I told her that I am constantly exhausted, and I can barely function in work.  So, she has put me down for iron deficiency tests.  We had a little chat about whether it was a good idea to carry on ttc, bearing in mind that I have hypertension, am constantly tired, and overweight.

If I stop ttc she will prescribe tablets that will help me lose weight, which will obviously impact on the blood pressure, boost my fertility and hopefully stop me feeling tired, although this will depend on whether it's linked to an iron deficiency.  I guess her advice remains that I should stop ttc.

I'm feeling really miserable now - we really felt that this is the right time for a  baby but the PCOS symptoms are really impacting now on this decision.  What I mean is, I knew that it would be difficult to conceive, given that I hardly ever ovulate, but hypertension would be dangerous in pregnancy and I need to get that sorted.  Reluctantly, we are going to stop ttc for the forseeable future. 

I've been near tears all day, but I guess it's the only option at the moment.  I spoke to her about clomid, which my GP was going to prescribe, and she told me that whilst that would help with the symptoms of PCOS and help me ovulate, it would NOT address the root cause and cure it.  So there, that's my miserable day in full.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Arabella,

sorry to hear your'e having such a rough time - I have PCOS & hypertension too - having read your post, I was just wondering whether you were on metformin? If so, has this helped at all?

I've been taking metformin for the last 3 years, and have lost a lot of weight, and with it a lot of PCOS symptoms, but no luck in the TTC department, and still have hypertension.

Just thought I'd ask, because like you, I was constantly tired, couldn't shift any weight, had no energy, mood swings, bad pmt, etc. Metformin got rid of most of this for me.

Good luck,

Susan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts