Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had one of these done?

A letter has arrived for me to ring the clinic as soon as next af arrives, so that I can book a procedure.
I've looked it up the internet and it doesn't look very nice.  The doctor at the beginning of the week said that she would like me to have an internal xray of my tubes done - but this looks a bit yukky.

Is it worth me taking Jason along to hold my hand - or will I just be a brave girl and get myself stocked up on painkillers ?!

Any advise from anyone who has had one of these done would be much appreciated.
Ta lasses
Sheila

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
No idea whatsoever, have you googled it?

It looks like quite a thing to spell, let alone try and say!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hi

I had one of these done - and there are nicer ways to spend your time.  I foolishly forgot to take any painkillers so it was uncomfortable - And I would say uncomfortable rather than painful. 

I would definately take someone with you because i don't think you are able to drive afterwards - I had a few AF type cramps during the rest of the day but, after that I was fine.

The way I saw it was one of those things you need to do to get to the next step - was very pleased when it was done and, it shows quite a bit about your tubes and it will mean that your consultant will know the next way to go.  I also read that as the dye clears you out abit that there is a higher % of a BFP for a few months afterwards - it didn't work for me but, apparently it does for some.

Good luck and take care

xx

·
Registered
840 Posts
Hi Shelia hun

I've had 2 of these, they're normally shortened to HSG?  I had one done before my op and one after.  

To me they were just like a smear, with a load of dye squirted up you  ^tmi^  I didn't really find it painful just uncomfortable really?  I have heard advise that you take painkillers half an hour before hand. DH came with me the first time but think I braved it on my own the 2nd.

You've been through a myo hun, this is like a walk in the park compared  ;D

Any other questions about it let me know.  ^hugme^

P.S one of the girls on my birth club thread swears that her DS was the result of her tubes having a clear out  ;)

·
Registered
673 Posts
Now then Sheila

Who is the first person on these boards to tell us not to look at the internet when we're not sure about something?!!!  ;)

I had one of these done as part of my fertility tests and can honestly say it was no more uncomfortable than a smear/ internal scan.  It just looks a bit more scary because you go on a special bed where they are able to see your tubes on a screen - so it feels like it's going to be scary but it isn't!

It lasts around a total of about 5 minutes. Sorry for TMI but to put your mind at rest - it's like the good old smear with legs akimbo.  They then squirt the dye into your tubes and you can actually see it on the screen.  That is where you get the slight discomfort.  It feels like period pain for about a minute or so and then it's over.  Compared to the type of periods we're used to with fibroids it's nothing like in either intensity or duration.  You may find you have some period type pains for the rest of the day and a bit of spotting but shouldn't be any worse than that.

I remember I was nervous about it and had also read a few scare stories on the net.... I actually think the idea of it is what's off putting rather than anything!  I'd been advised to take nurofen about half an hour before but didn't bother and didn't need to take them afterwards either.  I went with dh and didn't drive afterwards - I think it would be nice to have Jason there for comfort rather than to hold your hand - hospitals are always a bit grim aren't they?     

I too have heard that it helps some people get a BFP as it clears the tubes so you never know  ;)

Minni x

·
Registered
817 Posts
Take painkillers, they turn it from painful (and therefore a vicious circle of being tense etc develops) to perfectly fine.

It was 30mins for me, don't know why, tubes clear but angle of cervix tricky.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hi Sheila

Echo the above - glorified smear really (speculum in and the dye squirted up ya) - take 2 paracetamols and 1 high-dose ibuprofen before hand and it's fine You can see the dye being squirted out on the screen (they showed me on mine) and afterwards I got some dye seepage (nice) so was glad I had put on an Always Ultra. Was glad that my hubby was on hand to drive me back too and I had the day off work which was nice.
Don't be scared of this test, it is really not a scary one, and that is coming from a real scaredy cat person (ie me!)

Not posted for ages been feeling very little with a small l and trying to get on with things.. got a letter today saying that once we return some paperwork will be on the waiting list for IUI - been told it is 6months..  but am trying to take your attitude and look on all these things as steps in the right direction!

love sunshine

xx

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks girls - and yes Minni -  ^bigbad^ - silly me not taking my own advice but you all know me by now, I like to know what I am letting myself in for - straight away! :eek:

As soon as Jason rang me to say that the procedure was needed I stupidly googled the thing and it didn't look too bad  :-\ but then I went onto the CfL website and just began sweating about it  :-[  ..... the panic was compounded further by the information leaflet which accompanied my letter that I read after I got home.

It said that I had to bring someone with me, and that I would probably have a heavy bleed afterwards.
I knew you girls would know best - thanks for all your feedback girls - as always it is very much appreciated.

Lets hope and  ^pray^ that this wil enhance my chances of a  ^BFP^
But ys, all these litle things are a step in the right direction.
Best of luck to all you ladies in your dreams of a family....
Sheila - very very grateful for your advice and help.  ^hugme^ to you all.

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm wondering why I actually need to have this process done - doesn't IVF/ICSI bypass the tubes anyway?

What with dh's complete azoospermia there is very little hope of us ever getting another natural BFP surely!
Sheila x

·
Registered
817 Posts
hmm, good question - if you are def having IVF or ICSI then ask why on earth you need HSG? state of tubes is irrelevant surely, adn while it is ok, it is not my best day out. avoid if you can, do if helpful would be my attitude. xxxx

·
Registered
803 Posts
Hi,

I've had one of these and it varies from person to person about weather it hurts or not.  It hurt a little for me but, I didnt take any pain killers.  They are probably checking for hydrosalpinx which is fluid in your tubes.  The fluid is bad for the embryos.
Good luck with it.  If you need any help or advice it might be worth popping over to the hydro chicks thread as lots of the girls on there have been through this.

Jannie xxx

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Hey Sheila,

The HSG will also show up anything in the uterus cavity, i never had one, but if i had it would have shown th efibroid, kind of wish i had it!!

Lisa xxx

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hiya sweet sheila-

An HSG is a good thing to do prior to IVF.  As the previous posters have said, it will show things that aren't supposed to be in utero, like polyps & fibroids.  It will also show if you have a hydrosalpinx (which I had).  Hydros suck, they are filled with fluid that can be harmful/toxic to embryos & you would probably want to get that dealt with before the IVF cycle. 

Hopefully all will be fine for you.

So happy to see that things are moving forward for you.  ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^

xoxo
Jersey

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Jersey -
I was wondering if it was necessary - but from my internal scan the other week I have had it confirmed that I have a very small polyp - but no fibroid(s) - Yippee.

As I said to the dr I'll have anything done to get myself in the best shape possible in readiness for tx.

I can't get over the size of Piper - she's getting sooo big xxx
Many thanks to you all for your invaluable advice.
All the best to one and all
Sheila x

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Hey
I've been told I need to have one of these!!!! What was it like???

Also did they / did you have to administer various drugs 'per rectum'????? At the moment it sounds very scary ^eyes^

lots of love

Snowbelle

1 - 16 of 16 Posts