Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi girls

Found this link for anyone awaiting a hysterosalpinogram ( xray of the uterus).

A very staightforward procedure - Ive had one!!!

http://www.ahealthyme.com/topic/topic13049

Hope it helps

Love Lou xx

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi-
The web link was very useful as I'm debating whether or not to have the hysterosalpinogram...my gynae said it would be useless if I decided to go ahead with IVF anyway?  I initially wanted IUI, but was told I was probably too old (soon to be 42)...?  I won't be able to have the xray until September, which could delay my starting treatment (have been ttc for 5 1/2 years), but if IVF didn't work it might help...

Any thoughts anyone?

xPatrice

·
Registered
13 Posts
That's a really helpful link, thanks Lou.
I went for a HSG last week, and they had given me hardly any information before hand, so I thought it was really basic and straight forward, kind of like a pelvic exam.  But when I got there they were talking about what pain control I was going to use and had I brought any pads etc etc and I was horrified.  Why could't they tell me that before the appt?!

Anyway it turned out they couldn't do the HSG because the doctor couldn't get a good view of my cervix, so I have to go again now and they're going to get a proper gyneacologist to do it, so that website will be really useful!

·
Registered
56 Posts
This is really heartening to hear other people's experiences of the HSG.  I was scheduled for mine on 10 August and was totally dismayed when the Dr said he couldn't complete the x-ray as he couldn't get access to my cervix.  He then followed this on to say that he would have to try again in theatre and they would be in touch with regards to a date, which frightened the life out of me.  I came out of the hospital in tears thinking the worst - that if they couldn't get dye in what hope did I have of getting pregnant.  I am still waiting for the appointment to come through - though we are seeing the consultant on 6 October so we will see.  In the meantime, my husband see our GP about something else and he asked how the x-ray had gone.  My husband explained what was said and how upset I was, but the GP told him to tell me that this happened quite often - it just meant I wasn't relaxed enough so going into theatre would be the best option.  He said that I shouldn't think the worst.  But that's easy said then done.

But please don't be frightened by this - the actual examination wasn't too bad and not too painful.  I was told to take a couple of Nurofen an hour before and to be quite honest it felt a bit like bad period cramps thats all.

Best of luck to those going through or awaiting HSG.

Karen M

·
Registered
13 Posts
I very nearly put in a complaint about the doctor who (nearly) did my HSG.  He didn't get any further than putting the speculum in and he managed to really hurt me (I told him so but he still carried on), and also made me bleed for 3 days!
I was trying to relax and doing all the things I would normally do for a smear - and no-one has ever had any problem seeing my cervix before.  He really seemed as as though he was all fingers and thumbs, and when he finally admitted defeat (after 10 very painful minutes) he was bright red and seemed really embarrassed, which doesn't exactly inspire confidence, does it?

I think he knew after a couple of minutes that he wasn't going to be able to do it properly, but he still carried on - and I was really angry and of course upset because now I have to go through it all again!

KMN - don't let them make you wait too long for another appt.  Mine has come through already (13th Sept), and I got the letter less than a week after the original appt.  It's a straight-forward, routine procedure and they've no excuse for keeping you waiting!  Get on the phone to them if it drags on much longer, and let them know you won't be messed about! (Politely, of course!)  I have my consultant appt this Friday, but I don't think that should affect when they do the HSG.  Good luck with it, let us know how you get on..........

·
Registered
56 Posts
Brighid

Thanks for the advice - going on holiday on 9 September so don't for a minute expect an appointment to come through before then - but I will give them a ring as you suggest (even if its just to put my mind at rest).

Like you I thought I was relaxed and there was no problem when the internal examination was done beforehand and I have never had any problems having smears.  Mind you sounds like my dr was a bit gentler than yours at least I didn't bleed too much. 

Hope your x-ray goes okay.

Karen M

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have a great holiday Karen! ^holiday^

And good luck with your x-ray too.....at least we know what to expect this time!

Take care    ^afro^

xxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hi.
I'm new here and I am going for this scan and was so pleased to get some information. :)
My appointment system is a little wierd as I have to ring on the first day of my period and they guarantee to fit you in in 3 cycles as they want to make sure you are not pregnant first. All you other girls seem to get an appointment in advance. Well I guess they have different procedures in different areas.
This website is great as you can feel a bit alone when all around you seem to be getting pregnant!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello there,

I had to ring on the first day of my period too, and not have unprotected sex etc.  I couldn't understand why they have to do it this way, which causes extra delays.  Why can't they just do a pregnancy test as a matter of course when you go for the HSG?

Anyway, good luck to you when you get your appt through - please don't let my horror stories put you off, I hear it's quite straight forward and relatively pain-free for most people!

Take care
xxxxx

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a hysterosalpinogram last November, I was very nervous and it didn't help when the doctor who was to do the procedure was busy and sent in a woman doctor who said she hadn't done it before. I was led there for 30 minutes whilst she pushed and prodded and said she couldn't do it and went off.
Luckily  the original doctor was around and came in and said if I could stand the pain he would have a go by then I had had enough and said yes, he done it in about 1 minute and it wasn't painful. My results came back my tubes were all clear so I was quite happy but annoyed that if he had done it in the first place I wouldn't of been there long  ^daisy^
J :p

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello everyone

I had my second attempt at the HSG this morning, and it went much better than the first time.  They did keep me hanging around for ages, but don't they always?!
They got a gyneacologist in to do the 'fiddly' bits and he was really good and friendly, put me at my ease.
All in all it was more or less pain free, and quite a positive experience.  Just shows how one bad experience can really put you off.

Anyway, the object of the exercise was to check if my tubes are clear, and the result? 
THEY'RE CLEAR!!!!!!!!!! ^banana^ ^banana^ ^banana^
I felt like having a party there and then on the X-Ray table!!
SUCH a relief.......
Thought I'd let you all know.

Love
xxxxx

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi Brighid,

^dancing spot^ ^festival^ ^jumpin^

I'm so pleased to hear that your tubes were clear.  I remember I felt so relieved when I was told mine were clear.

^goodluck^

Gina

1 - 13 of 13 Posts