Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I have recently joined this forum and had a Hycosy scan a few weeks ago to look at my uterus and tubes. The test showed that my tubes appear to be fine but I was very distressed to learn that there was a possible polyp in my uterus and also some adhesions. Has anybody else had this? The next step is for me to have a hysteroscopy where a small camera is put ito the womb. I am extremely nervous about this procedure and was wondering if anybody else has had this done.Also is it done with sedation or general anaesthetic? I have never had any surgery before and am worried about having to have a GA.

Susan

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi, I had a Hysteroscopy and Laparoscopy last Jan.  I was as nervous beforehand but it was absolutley fine, i was out cold for the entire thing, i woke up afterwards feeling a bit crampy. when i stood up to walk around it sort of felt like a tightness between my bellybutton and stomach which felt weird but not 'sore' just a bit uncomfortable, i took painkillers and took it easy for a couple of days and was absolutley fine. 

I had 2 plasters covering where they had made incisions, one in my belly button (which they glued up afterwards, you can hardly see the scar) and one just above my bikini line (which was only tiny - looked like a needle mark -and has totally disappeared) If i was told i had to do it again tomorrow i wouldn't be stressed, but at the time I was a wreak!!

Hope it goes well for you.

Lou.

·
Premium Member
10,520 Posts
Hiya

I had a lap and hysteroscopy and dye test 2 weeks ago.  I have endometriosis.  I'd had a hycosy scan whilst awake and it appeared that my tubes were blocked.  Seemingly they were in spasm as the hysteroscopy done to confirm this showed they were actually clear. 

The tests were done under GA so I remember absolutely nothing!  I had to have almost 2 weeks off work, mainly as i was exhausted, everyone is different though.  The pain was fine, they gave me strong pk's.    I have adhesions and endo currently in my pouch of douglas and my bowel and ovaries are stuck down but uterus and tubes clear, I'm now on clomid.

Try not to worry. at least you will get good clear answers.  take care x

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi susan,

I had a hysteroscopy about 7 months ago - I had mine done in the clinic.  You just have an injection in your cervix - which wasn't too bad and then they insert the camera.  That didn't particulary hurt either - just your modesty you lose I'm afraid.

In fact it was quite facinating as you could see everything in colour and the dr was excellent in explaining what everything was.  Please don't worry about it it will be ok

:)

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Hi suzmead

I had a laparoscopy and hysteroscopy a couple of years ago.  To say I was nervous beforehand is the understatement of the century.  I was PETRIFIED!!!!!  I was worried I wouldnt wake up from the anaesthetic, worried I would wake up too early when they were still in the middle of doing it, worried about them seeing my bits, you name it and I worried about it.  I had never had anything done like that before either and I was so so scared.  But you know what, it was fine.  You just feel the needle go in when you have the anaesthetic and then the next thing you know you are coming round and its all over.  I felt a bit sore afterwards and took it easy for a few days, but really it was ok.  I know its easy for us all to say "dont worry, its nothing" - people told me that and I still felt scared.  But take it from me - I am the BIGGEST wimp ever - it really is ok.  You'll be fine.  

What they actually do is, like you say, insert a camera into your womb to have a look around.  Normally that one goes in through the vagina (correct me if I am wrong somebody).  A lot of people have a laparoscopy at the same time which is like keyhole surgery - they make a small incision in your belly button and one near the bikini line and then put a camera in and look at your tubes.  Why not check with your consultant if you are going to be having both at the same time and if not whether you will have a general anaesthetic if its just the hysteroscopy.  I'm sure the doctors are used to having women freaking out before ops, and they are usually pretty understanding and supportive.  Dont forget - for you its the first time, but your doctor must have done this a million times before so I'm sure he knows what he's doing and will take great care of you.

I hope it all goes well for you - let us know how you get on,
Love Olwen xxx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts