Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Can anyone tell me if they've had a private or NHS hysteroscopy or sonic hysterogram? I'm interested in how much it costs & where it can be done?

Thanks for any help
Nicola

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hi Nicola,

My clininc want to do a Hysterscopy to have a look inside see whats going on,  and they were going to combine with Lap.  They have said £1800 in their day care unit or £1400 just for the Hysteroscopy. 

Not sure what the sonic thing is unless it is the HSG but thought that was more of an x ray. 

I know what NHS waiting lists ar ehuge where I am and not routine for fertility treatment so it wasnt an option.

If your doctor or consultant has recommended one they will normally arrange it where they do surgery.

Also it seem alot cheaper if you can get the hysteroscopy done as day care than over night say unless of course you have medical cover.

Good luck

Katie

·
Registered
537 Posts
I am doing my first cycle with the argc (but second ivf cycle) and they recommended a hysterscopy..it actually revealed that I don;t have any scar tissue or reoccuring fibroids which is good with my history...but I do have a longer than normal uterus which is not a concern just that they need to use a longer catheter to reach my womb lining when putting embryos back....

Anyway I had it done last wednesday at the ARGC and it cost £1050 plust £160 anaethetist bill.....

good luck

Croc

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hello,

I don't know where you are based but I had a hysteroscopy on Wednesday just gone.  I had it done at Bourn Hall in Cambridge and it cost £800 all in.  The Dr who carried out the procedure is very experienced and I did not need any anaesthetic - not even a local.  The £800 would have included anaesthetic if I had needed or wanted it.  That said mine was just an exploratory (not an operation) and although my news was not good, it is a very very worthwhile procedure if you are going ahead with IVF as they take lots of photos of your uterus and note any problems and obviously endeavour to deal with the problems prior to commencement of any treatment. 

Best of luck whatever you decide. 

With all good wishes.

Nadinex

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your replies!
I was told 5 years ago by a very unfriendly ob/gyn that unless I had a lap. he wouldn't give me any treatment. (I blame him now for my not pursuing treatment option sooner). As I had no symptoms of pain or irregular cycles I thought it was too invasive. I persuaded them to give me an HSG & everything was okay. I have now found out, by visiting more competent Drs, that I have a poor lining & a hysteroscopy would help to see any problems. Apparently, this or a sonic hysterogram is better than an HSG (I think they can tell if the surface has any bumps etc. that shouldn't be there?) I also have a ureplasma infection that needs to be sorted out. This time I visited a private Dr. not the NHS one I visited 5 years ago who told me I had no infection just by talking to me! If there's one thing I've learnt in 6 yrs of IF, it's get 2 or 3 opinions and, I hate to say it, private is better than NHS for unexplained probs.

Thanks for the info. - I esp. like the £800 option!
One more question - does it hurt?!

Thanks again
Nicola
x

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.