Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

I have been told i need one of these as part of my investigations into multiple MC. I am looking to start fertility treatment at argc once these investigations are over. My insurance company will not cover the Wellington Hospital or any central London hospital, but the list does cover Beckenham, Croydon etc

I do realise that this means I am going to have to see another consultant and pay for that, but figure this is cheaper than either paying 100% for the procedure at argc or 40% of the treatment at the Wellington.

Has anyone else been in the same situation that could recommend another consultant so that I can get this done?

Thanks!

scp

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Hi

i have a history of recurrent mc and had my hysteroscopy paid by my insurance company as part of those investigations, rather than being seen to be fertility related.  I'm insured with Bupa and they did cover me - I had mine done at St Mary's Paddington, under Mr Raj Rai - although i was seeing him as part of my mc issue.  You could try his private office (PA = Mary, 020 7886 1050) if your insurance company would cover him?  Failing that, is it worth calling your insurance company and asking them who they would pay for and getting the details and calling them directly? 

Sorry not to be more help, but good luck!

Loobs x

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
I bitterly regret not having my hysterocopy at ARGC , I'd just had it on the NHS but they missed my Asherman's syn and so I had a wasted cycle at ARGC thinking everything was ok when in fact it was full of adhesions, so I had a repeated one with Mr T at ARGC for about £1300 ish (can't remember exactly) and then Mr T said I needed surgery elsewhere (so I went to the Hammersmith - 92 Harley St under Mr Trew and there hysteroscopies are £2K).  Mr T also uses the hysteroscopy to inform for ET, as they don't do them under ultrasound at ARGC. If you can afford it I would get it done there by Mr T as it is cheaper than other private places and then he will have seen for himself.

I don't have private helath insurance so don't know about those things

Good Luck

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hi SCP

I am monitoring at present, and Dr D at ARGC told me that I will have to have a hysto done.  I said I have BUPA cover and he said they are pretty standard so I can just have mine done locally.  I am going to The Nuffield in Brentwood and my doctor is Dr Coker - he is fantastic and did my fallopian tube removal back in 2007 so I go to him for everything.

Hope this helps slightly - and very best of luck with everything.

Jane x

·
Registered
377 Posts
HI SCP,

I had mine done at the Pembury hospital in Kent on the NHS, but it appears they have missed something vital and as a result it has held up my treatment with the ARGC for months and I am now having to have another one at the ARGC anyway!

I think it you are straightforward then going elsewhere should be ok, but if you have issues I would go with the ARGC - just my opinion after what happend to me!

Good luck...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone!

I have just spoken to the Wellington. If going for treatment that has an itemised invoice (ie one that an insurance company is likely to accept...) they require a £3500 deposit on the day. My insurance company will only pay for 60% of this so that means £1400 for me to pay. The alternative is to go as a private patient and check with the insurance company will accept a single line invoice. The charge at the Wellington would then be £1325 plus cost of doctors fee and anaesthetist (approx £480 but need to confirm)... this would mean out of pocket expense of £722. Direct at ARGC costs £1160 but insurance company wont cover this at all.

Unfortuneately, my delightful insurance does not cover me for central London hospitals (where I live....) so I will face the same problems at St Mary's Hospital with costs(but thanks for the details Loobs!)... I wont be going NHS (three MC not consecutive so no cover there!!) so I am going to follow up on Crookers advice  :) with Mr Coker... is that Mr Adeyemi A Coker? He seems to be listed under the Brentwood Hospital (which is covered by my insurance... yeah!!) so now am just really hoping I can get an appointment  and the op scheduled in in time for my treatment.... a single appointment (normally around £200) will be cheaper than any of the other options....

Thank you all!!

scp x

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hi SCP

Goodness - insurance companies are a nightmare aren' they!  :mad:

It is Dr Adeyemi A Coker, yes.  He practises out of the Nuffield in Brentwood.  He is great, and a really nice man.  Very reserved, quietly spoken about 7ft tall! Hopefully you can get an appointment with him quickly, I don't even have to wait long to see him.  I guess he will want to see a letter from Dr T so he knows what he's doing?

Hope all goes well - please let me know how you get on.

Good luck.  :)

Jane

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Jane,

Yes, he would like a letter... I have spoken to ARGC about this but waiting on a call back... my appt is tomorrow so hope it comes in time....

Thanks again..

eekk!!

scpx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts