Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI!

I am new here. I have read lots of messages and sound like I need to learn a lot about fertility treatment.

On Friday me and my fiancee went to see the doctor and we found out that he have a low sperm count due to having an operation for undescended testicles. They done this operation too late ( 10 year old) , and now he is having problems with his sperm count. The doctor told us that there are occasional sperms  ^sperm^ ( which sound good news to us). He also wants to test my hormone levels to see whether or not I am ovulating.

We are at our early stages of fertility treatment and I would like to know how long it takes overall for IVF treatment.

My email is Xxx
I am 28 and my fiancee is 31.
Thank you. ::)

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Hi Hope2005

Welcome to Fertility Friends ^wave^  You will meet loads of people to help and support you on here

IVF/ICSI takes about 4-6 weeks in total.  ^goodluck^ with your fertility journey ^fairydust^

Love
Bear
x

·
Registered
473 Posts
Hi

Welcome to FF.

The people on here are fantastic - I don't know what I would have done without my FF buddies.

I am just about to start my 2nd cycle of donor egg IVF - and the first cycle was very daunting - and I found the help and support from the friends I have made on here was amazing.  I am sure you will too.

Best Wishes

Carol
xxx

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Hi Hope,

An IVF/ICSI cycle can be a long and frustrating business. Some clinics insist on a lot of testing before-hand and this may consist of physical evaluations such as a hysteroscopy. The various tests (hormonal and other) need to be carried out at various times of the month.

Some clinics do a month of hormonal evaluation, then depending on the protocol used (very basically the short or the long cycle), there can be weeks or a month of downregging and then the stims part of the process which can take a few weeks. Then there is egg collection, embryo transfer and the horrible 2ww to see if it has worked.

At any stage of this long process the cycle can be canceled or tweaked. Some women start the hormonal monitoring and discover that they have too high levels, some develop or discovered cysts or polyps, some put on so much weight the clinic refuses to treat them, some do not respond to the stimms drugs. There is a great deal that can go wrong.

When we started IVF/ICSI we thought that it would be easier but we developed problem after problem and it was a very hard journey.  Luckily when we actually got to the stimming part of the cycle it all went very well. Sadly, all our cycles failed.

My DH was discovered to be azoospermic after cancer treatment when he had a testicle removed. Like your Fiance he had an undescended testicle as a child and the Consultants felt that this was the reason for the lack of sperm from the remaining testicle.

It's wonderful news that they can find an occasional sperm. It only takes one good one to fertilise an egg in ICSI. If there is not enough sperm your Fiance may decide to have an operation on his testicles to see if there are any sperm there. My DH was found to have usable sperm in his remaining testicle.

My advice would be for you to join the Male Factor thread in Fertility Friends where there are lots of people in similar situations.  There are tests that can be carried out and investigations (sometimes abroad) that people are using if the quality of their NHS or UK Urologists is found to be lacking.

Good luck!

Kindest regards,

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Hi Hope and welcome to FF!! :)

Flopsy and the others have given you fab advice which I cant really add to, apart from just urging you to use this site as much as you need to!

I havent yet started my ICSI treatment, due to next month!!
But I can honestly say that having read a lot of the posts on here regarding Male Factor Infertility and the traumas and stresses of treatment I feel a lot more able to cope, any questions are answered by people with first hand experience and there is always some one to give you a cyber hug or a shoulder to cry on when you need it!

Take care and best of luck

yonny x

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much for your advice and support  ::). I need to have hope to achieve what I need , which is a cute baby with the person I love the most.

I will stay positive and I am sure all of you will agree that this is part of a successful treatment , stay positive and calm.

All the best to you all.

Regards
Andrea xx  :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.