Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Girls,

I have been trying to think positive all week... I had my first scan on Monday (6wks 1 day) and although Dr said everything looks as it should do we didnt see a heartbeat and i have got another appointment booked for Tuesday, the time is absolutely dragging and i am getting more worried by the day. He said it was a bit to early ( had ET on the 8/4 ) and we should be able to see heartbeat on Tuesday ( 7wks 2 days ). I dont know what i will do if there is no heartbeat on Tuesday... I read somewhere on the internet that 78% of heartbeats are seen between 5 1/2 and 6 weeks !

Help

bell xx

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
Bell

Firstly its VERY common not to see a heartbeat that early. Many places won't even scan you until you are closer to 7 weeks because they know how disapointing it can be.

I know how loopy it can be waiting (more so than the 2ww) but try not to dwell on the negative - think about all the positive vibes you want your child to grow up with!

Sending you a huge ^hugme^

Deb

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
Hi Bell

Its such a worrying time  ^hugme^  Its quite uncommon for heartbeats to be seen at 6 weeks and certainly not before.

Charlies Mum is right some clinics won't scan before 7 weeks as the chances of seeing anything is quite low.

^goodluck^

x x x x x

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Hi Bell,

The other girls are spot on - my clinic won't scan before 7 weeks for the very reason that it can cause more panic than good. I got myself into a right state before my first scan, so can totally empathise with you, but try and hang onto the fact that the Dr said everything was as it should be.

Good luck  ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ and please let us know how you get on.

Have you joined the ladies on the "Waiting for first scan" thread in the "Bun in the oven" section? You will find loads of people with exactly the same feelings and concerns there and they were a great support to be while I waited.

Karen x

·
Registered
590 Posts
Hi Bell,

Try not to worry hon It's really common not to see HB so early. We had our 6 week scan and no heartbeat was seen and then had to wait 2 weeks until the 8 week scan, when a beautiful heart was fluttering away  ^Heart^ I am sure all will be fine xxx

·
Registered
92 Posts
My early pregnancy unit couldn't even find the baby at 7 weeks let alone the heart beat. I think the scan is only as relaiable as the scanner. I don't think they realise what worry they can cause us our little beans. Good luck and try not to worry. It will be ok I'm sure.

Victorioussunrise

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Hi Girls

Bel, I am in exactly the same position at you, I had a scan today as was worried about some other bits and bobs, so they asked me to pop in and see the docx  Today, they saw one sac, yolk and fetal pol but no heartbeat!    I am back next Friday to be re scanned  ^reiki^

Also, on the FF calculator I am 7 weeks pg today and my clinic who must go from ET not EC I am 6 weeks 4 days?  Was everybody measured by EC or ET?

I thought the 2ww was the worst bit, little did I know  ;D

Bel sending you lots and lots of  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ for your rescan  :-*

Louj x  :)

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Bel and Louj sending you lots of  ^reiki^

As the others have said it is perfectly normal - as in not uncommon- not to see a h/b before 7w and it can be even later.  My previous clinic didnt scan until 7.5w!

I have read a lot of ladies on here not seeing hb until over 7w due to late implantation etc.

hang in there xxx

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Thank you EBW  :-*

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
Louj

I thought that clinics calculated your EDD from EC ???  Maybe wrong though

Have you tried using the calculator on here and doing it from both EC and ET ??? 

x x x

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Hi Scooby

It is from EC on here which makes me seven weeks and one day, today!  My clinic seem to do from ET, so that was 6 weeks 4 days yesterday!  This makes sense as  had a 3 day transfer.  Just going to try and focus on the 6 weeks 4 days pg yesterday as less likely to see a heart beat  ;D 

Thanks for postingx

Louj x  :-*

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
Hi Louj

I would go with 6 weeks and 4 days  ;)  They will do a dating scan later on and then you will know exactly how far gone you are.

^goodluck^ for your next scan  ^reiki^  ^reiki^  ^reiki^

x x x x x

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Scooby!

Thank you, I have a midwife visit today, will be interesting to see what she thinksx

·
Premium Member
5,678 Posts
Lou I agree totally with the others, 6 weeks is early to see much! I ahd mine at 7+5 & saw everything fine - my Cons wouldn't scan earlier than 7 weeks as it just causes more anxiety & worry.

Fingers crossed & lots of ^reiki^ hon

Gill
x

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Aww thank you pw, just that a lot of ladies do seem to see it at 6 + 4 and 7 if I am 7, not sure  ^idiot^

Louj  :-*  :)

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
Louj

You can see the heartbeat earlier we saw ours at exactly 6 weeks but we were told that there was a chance that we wouldn't see anything at all.

I think scanning at 7 weeks is quite normal and therefore you don't have the added stress.

Hope the visit goes OK today.

x x x x

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Hi Scooby

How true  :)  Although, do feel alot better about things nowx

1 - 17 of 17 Posts