Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last 2 weeks we've been doing a new routine for Molly of a night. We bath her, then it's quiet time whilst we get her dried, changed and give her a bottle. We do this in our bedroom as the nursery is a box room so not big enough. To begin with I was up and down the stairs around 10 times, then within 5/6 days she was going off first time! It was a great feeling and I stuck to the routine rigidly, not allowing her outside of her room until morning.

She still wakes for a feed but is a little and often eater so not easy to break this habit ::) but was going back off and sleeping for another 2/3 hours.

Anyway for the last 3 night she's gone off fine at 7:30pm/8pm, then woken around 10/10:30pm. She will cry then go back off once I cuddle her, sleep for 5 mins in her cot then wake again. On Weds night she woke 6 times in 90 mins :eek:

I don't want the routine to go belly up again as she was doing so well, what could be the problem?

I know it's probably going to be teething ::) :mad: ^bigbad^ ;D but what do you think I should do girls, at my wits end and shattered enough as it is ^eyes^

x

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I'm going to guess teething - one way to see is give her a dose of calpol before bed and see if it helps get her off soundly - quite often when they get off soundly it takes a lot more to wake them so unless the pain is REALLY troubling her you may find her a lot more settled?!

I presume you've checked the temperature, nappy all that stuff?!

Sorry no wonderous magic for you...

Bev xx

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried the medicine already Bev, makes no difference :( Nappies are fine, haven't checked temperature but she's never hot??

x

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi

R is the same age and her routine also started to waiver.
We moved recently and I was concerned that the move would unsettle her and so instead of just putting her down and leaving her to grumble for a bit I was sitting with her and stroking her hair til she fell asleep, after a couple of nights of this things really started to get out of hand, she would fall asleep but then whenever there was the slightest noise she would wake up and started crying, getting her to bed/sleep was then taking the whole evening, I decided that I needed to go back to letting herself self settle, it took a few nights and now she is even better than normal.

I realised that all the time I was going in there and stroking her hair etc she was seeing that as a reward for her crying, as soon as I stopped she settled so much quicker, I would go in every 10 mins or so just to check her but I wouldnt make a fuss of her.

Maybe because she knows she is gonna get a cuddle from her mummy when she wakes up and cries she is waking up more and more???

Or maybe I could be completely wrong.  ;D

Hope things get better, let us know how you get on.

Becks
xxxx

·
Registered
990 Posts
Teething it definately is.....Maisy is doing exactly the same and has been for a number of weeks....i have tried everything and Medised is the only things that seems to work but don't like to give it to her too often.  I was up the other night for 1hr 20mins trying to comfort her...and then up at 4.30am cos she was wide awake.  But last night she woke about 1.30am and managed to get herself back off to sleep.

I think we have to bear with it when they are teething and comfort them when needed.  It's a shame we can't have the pain instead of them.

Ju

p.s don't give up on the routine, stick with it and I am sure that you will get through it.  The waking up at this stage is just like when they are newborn....all we can do is catch 5 mins sleep during the day when they sleep ! Sod the housework !

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had another terrible night with Molly  ^eyes^ she stirred after about an hour of going down (9pm-ish) but then slept till 1:40am. I didn't want to feed her that early so spent an hour going in and out of her room trying to get her to go back off. She was doing the usual, crying, then I'd pick her up and she'd go off, then put her into the cot and cry again. I fed her thinking that would help at 2am but made no difference. I gave her more medicine and some bonjela but again no change.

I'd had enough after an hour & burst into tears  :'( Bought her into bed with us and she slept more or less until 7:30am. So she's getting better once in our bed but that's not what I want  I'm too tired to persevere with it and not fair on DH who has to get up for work :( so on top of feeling a failure I feel guilty for not being able to get my own chld to sleep ^eyes^

Becks/Ju - you're both right sounds like it could be a combination of those things. We go on holiday this Saturday for a week but when we get back I'm definitely going to give controlled crying a go. She definitely knows I come in as soon as she starts crying. The thing is she won't stop with me just stroking her hair, etc she needs a cuddle. I guess that's the tough part though, getting her to stop relying on that from me.

Thanks girls ^hugme^

x

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
I usually leave M for a few minutes and more often than not she does settle herself.  If she doesn't i will give her a bottle of water (she doesn't have a dummy).  Obviously your LO is a lot younger.

Keep doing what you are doing - she will get there again hun! 

Big hugs - it's exhausting sometimes, isn't it!!

xx

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have tried leaving her SW but she just gets more and more upset :(

I had started to wean her off the middle of the night bottle by reducing the amount of formula I put in, then she started sleeping badly and dare try to mess with that too ^eyes^

It's very exhasuting, here I was thinking my baby would be sleeping through at 8 weeks ::) yeah right!

x

·
Registered
990 Posts
I give in now and go in with her dummy, Maisy sleeps during the day with her dummy but doesn't have it at any other time.  So when she somes round to dropping her daytime naps she will only be having the dummy at night times and I am hoping that as she gets older and all her teeth are thru she will give up the dummy by sleeping thru........I hope I am not wishing for too much !!!!!

Have you tried her with the dummy or is that something that you do not want to start ?

Hope you have a better night tonight....it will get better.....off to bath Maisy now !

Ju

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
^hugme^ dont have any advice but stick with the routine. Lstarted waking up at 3am every morning 2 weeks ago  ??? but i didnt do anything differently and now he's back to normal.

Nikki xx

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ju - Molly has a dummy but luckily she can take it or leave it during the day and night. We had an even more awful night with her y'day, she wouldn't go off at all and then became very upset :'( she was really crying. Tried leaving her for over 5 mins but she got herself into a state, eventually went off at 10pm with DH in our bed. I moved her into the nursery at 11pm, she slept till 1:30am then bought her in with us. She stirred a few times but slept till 7am. I didn't even have to feed her :eek: obviously I don't want this to become an every day occurance but it's better than it has been. We all get sleep this way ;D

Dakota - glad L is back to normal, I hope the same is true for Molly ^hugme^

xx

·
Registered
424 Posts
Aw, you poor knackered thing.

I remember 8-9 months was absolutely the worst age for sleeping. There is so much going on - maybe teeth (though the fact calpol & Bonjela make no difference makes me think not), practising crawling and pulling up in the cot (then forgetting how to sit down and falling asleep standing up and banging head!), separation anxiety - its a nightmare.

All the babies I knew around the same age were all bad at that time - regardless of whether they were normally good sleepers or not. 

I would say don't worry too much about whether you're doing what you're 'supposed' to. Just try to be consistent. If you want to pick her up and cuddle her, go for it, just put her back down before she falls asleep, then repeat 65 times and sob silent tears of exasperation and deep deep fatigue! It will eventually work.

I'm not a believer in controlled crying but for some people it really helps when it is just a case of an older baby taking the p"£s, I would wait until she is through the worst of this phase though and really secure before trying it. It sounds like she just needs some reassurance that Mummy goes away, but she always comes back. Whatever you were doing before was working, so I would stick with it.

Love Sue x

·
Registered
967 Posts
You may find the baby whisperer approach works better for you than controlled crying. I had this with O when she was younger but I refused to take her into my bed- she wouldnt fit as I find it hard with boyf sleeping across middle!

I know its hard but try and carry on with the routine, I found it worked in the end. However I did find that I was a bit obsessive about it looking back but she sleeps 7-7 now. I guess you have to find a balance that you can cope with and keeps you sane! I love my sleep (would like 10hours a night if I had time!) and appreciate how hard this is ^hugme^

1 - 13 of 13 Posts