Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Hi All

Sorry I've duplicated this post on the Pharmacist thread I just thought I would ask you expert mums here to perhaps get a quicker answer ......

One of my lo's has had a cold/cough for a few days, and teething pain to top it all off  :'(, he's had a bit of a temp today so I've bought Nurofen for baby 100mg/5ml, and Calpol paracetamol 120mg/5ml.  A friend has told me I can alternate both drugs at 4 hourly intervals but I thought I'd check with a pharmacist first....is it okay to do this?  If not which would be the better drug to give?  Ive also bought Tixilix to help with his cough but again not sure if this can be taken with any of the other drugs. 

So far I've given 2.5ml of Nurofen 1 hr ago but he still feels quite warm -  temp 37oc.  Thanks so much everyone. 

Hep xxxx

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hi,

I think we were told you could alternate them as well by the chemist. Think Paracetamol is supposed to be better for a fever though.

^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ to you and your LO and they get better soon.

Joy xx

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
Hepburn yes you can.

They are two different drugs: Calpol is Paracetamol, Nurofen (children's or adult) is Ibuprofen. So you can, in theory use them both at the same time although some might think that was a little heavy duty. You yourself probably wouldn't take two paracetamol tablets AND two Nurofen at the same time would you? You probably start with one and if you didn't feel better top yourself up with the other - does that make sense?!

If one of my boys were ill for example, I would give a dose of Calpol at 7pm bedtime. If they woke and were just not settling before I went to bed myself I might give some Brufen thinking that I could still use yet another dose of Calpol in the middle of the night if necessary (at least four hours after the first dose).

As for the teething there are many topical preparations - Bonjela, Anbesol (my preferred ointment) and different teething powders - all available over the counter and provided they do not contain paracetamol (which neither of those do) you can use them with the Calpol and Brufen.

Does that help?

B xxx :-*

Oh, hope your LO feels better soon  :)

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
You can alternate them and you don't even have to leave 4 hours between.  Just make sure you stick to the intervals between each dose of each drug - eg 6 hours between nurofen doses and 4 hours between paracetamol.  Whilst I wouldn't tend to give both together, I would often give nurofen a couple of hours after calpol, if it wasn't really doing the trick.

Cough mixture not really recommended any more for children, apparently it does nothing - and you need to be absolutely sure it doesn't contain either paracetamol or ibuprofen before taking with them.

Claire x

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Ah B our posts crossed  ;)

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
PS I swear by Anbesol liquid for teething pains -and both my two were horrendous teethers  :(

·
Registered
574 Posts
When my DD (10months) had a really high temp (38. 8) that wasn't shifting the doc I saw said to get it going you can give both at once, but then spread the doses out (eg ibuprofen every 8 hrs, paracetamol every 6 I think) to get you through each 24hrs. Interestingly he also worked out a higher dose of each based on her weight (and she's on the small side), but I won't give you those as I wouldn't want you to use them for your LO without medical advice. You might want to spread them out during the day so you can use them closer together at night, if that's when he's worse. I was given the impression that its the overall amount in 24hrs thats important  - but I am not medically trained, so double check!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone thats such a big help, he seemed to finally settle not long after I posted but I'm sure he'll be bad tonight so at least I know whats what.  I'll pick up the Anbesol gel, I've been using bongela but not entirely sure how effective it is.  Just to add for anyone else reading, a pharmacist told me not to use Teething Gel and teething powder (Ashton & Parsons in my case) at the same time as it can damage gum nerves  :eek:.....wish me luck for my evening ahead  :-\

Hepburn xxx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.