Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

Did you have Chromosone testing before your ICSI?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya

We hope to soon start ICSI and will get offered the Chromosone tests.  We have pretty much decided not to have the tests done.

DH has a low count due to past hernia and cancer.

I'd like to know your experience.
Thanks
Melx

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Hi Mel,

Do you mean the PDG testing on the embryos before implantation? Alternatively do you mean DNA testing on the sperm?

Good luck with your ICSI regardless!

With love from,

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure - its a blood test our clinic offer to check chromosones to see if birth defects are likely and if infertility would pass to any possible son we had.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
We had the blood test done and it came back positive. We have had mulitpul failiers so our next cycle we are going to have PGD.

Chromosone rearrangment happens in about 1 in every 650 people so is very common.

Fiona

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what is PGD?

What is chromosone rearrangement to be honest it all confuses me a bit

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Hi Mel,

There are several chromosomal tests that can be run on the male partner. There is Karotyping that picks up things like Klinefelters, the Y Microdeletion Analysis and the Cystic Fibrosis test. These are some of the tests often run on men with a low or zero sperm count. Sure to be more tests as well. Hopefully other people will be able to tell us what they have had.

We had all of these tests before our first ICSI cycle and all were OK. All our cycles failed sadly.

If we had the resources (time, money, sperm etc) we would probably look at sperm DNA testing.

http://www.scsadiagnostics.com/

PGD is "preimplantation genetic diagnosis" where a cell is removed from the embryo and then screened for some common genetic defects. The embryos without these defects are then transferred.

We did not have PGD as the clinic rules were that a specific number of good grade embryos were needed and we never had enough.

Kindest regards,
Annette

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Mel,

We didn't have chromosome testing and were lucky enough to be successful.

I think its worthwhile if you've had repeated failures or theres something specific in terms of inherited conditions that you could pass on to a child. But if you've no reason to think anything may be wrong I don't think I'd bother.

Very best of luck with your cycle.

^fairydust^

lol

Edna

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys

Edna - congrats did you have ICSI? I don't think we will go ahead with the tests either.

Mel x

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Hi Mel,

Yes, our cycle was an ICSI one...with a good embryologist it can be just as successful.

Take care.

Edna

·
Registered
219 Posts
We have to see a genetic counsellor on 17th October as DH has some chromosome problems which would be passed onto a son, we are going to find out what these are.

we're going to find out as we have already been told there are problems and I wouldnt want to bring a son into the world knowing it was going to be disabled as thats just cruel, we cant turn back now, but if you havent had the tests yet and havent been told there's a problem then I wouldnt have then done just let nature take its course

this is only my opinion of course and we may need to go down the embie selection route, lots of massive decisions have had to be made over the past few months, if you need to talk hunny just IM me anytime.

good luck

lots of love p4p xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
We had Karyotyping, due to our previous miscarriage, and Dh's infertility.  Apparently, some cases of severe male factor infertility are hereditary, but luckily, ours wasnt.

Our tests came back fine, but we got BFN and moved onto donor.

Marie xx

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks p4p and Marie.

We aren't going to have the tests done.  We know the infertility on DH isnt herediatry its most likely due to the strangualted hernia and cancer treatment he had.

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
I wish we could have PGD for holoprosencephaly but unfortunately they are unable to at this time, so for us its fingers crossed for next time.

If you want more information a charity called Antenatal Results and Choices are excellent sources of information. Their website is www.arc-uk.org but the helpline will be able to point you in the right direction for info on PGD/chromosome tests.

Fingers crossed for you!

Debs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.