Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had 2 ICSI cycles but today were told that from my DH's last sample we are now classed as un-explained!
Any-one else had this?
What worries me is we are about to start our third go at Liverpool Womens and they say there are no more tests to do and yet I have read that sometimes it can be high thrombin levels which affects blood clotting and hence implantation. This would exlplain that despite good embryos we have had no luck.
Not sure if Liverpool prescribe anti-coagulants like Clexane and I took aspirin last time so that alone is not enough.
Of course it could be another reason why it fails...but I hate this 'un-expained' .
Please any advice or replies from paeople in similar situations or success stories from 'un-explained'

Susy

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Dear Susy
I am in a similar situation to you.  My DH has had borderline SA results in the past (though no one consistent problem) but is now classed as normal which means that we are unexplained.  We had two good embryos (a grade one and grade two) in our first cycle but ended up with -ve.  I asked at our review appointment about possible clotting problems but the advice I got was that unless I had a history of miscarriages or  there were lots of examples of strokes in my immediate family (neither of these apply to me) it was unlikely to be an issue for me and they would not refer me for a thrombin test. (They do not do these tests themselves - they refer to a different department in the hospital who will only test if the family history indicates possible problems).  I also asked about possible immune problems but my clinic feels that the treatments are unproven and therefore don't use them.

I know what you mean about being "unexplained" as it is so frustrating. I was having the same discussion with DH only today (on way back from baseline scan) as I am sure that our problem is with implantation  - either due to thrombin or immune problems - given that everything up to that point seems OK.  I think the main problem is that so little is currently known about implantation problems.

I have decided to stick with my current clinic for this second cycle as they have good results overall and also because the logistics of going elsewhere would be a real problem due to where we live.  However, I am thinking seriously of trying a clinic that deals with thrombin problems and immune issues if our second cycle fails. There are some interesting threads about these issues elsewhere on this site.

Have you asked your clinic about having a thrombin test?  It would be certainly be worth asking them for their views, and what treatment they would offer if they did the test and found a problem. 

I don't think I have been much help, but just wanted to let you know that I am in the same boat as you!

Good luck.

Ellie. 

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ellie,
I will try and get my GP to test thrombin as I do not want to delay our next cycle, see Consultant 29th Sept and hope to start  Oct.
The Consultant yesterday did have another theory that our eggs do not send out signals to attract the sperm and women that get pregnant at the drop of the hat have loads of this chemical...but just a theory.
Good luck for your 2nd cycle.
Susy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.