Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All
I haven't been on this site for a good few weeks now...had some good news in the meantime though...the great team at CRM Walsgrave managed to find some sperm during PESA so DH and I are now waiting for our first shot at ICSI!!!!
I would love to hear from anyone who has a job which means that they have to travel overseas on a fairly regular basis. I'm wondering how I'm going to get through 'making excuses' at work for the various stages of the ICSI process.
If I can't be away from home during ICSI, but it's part of my job to travel, how much do I need to tell my employer??? How much of the ICSI cycle to you need to be at home for???
Although looking forward to starting treatment, I can't quite see how I'm going to manage my life....
Look forward to hearing from anyone
XX

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Hi,

I also have to travel for my job although only in England. I have told my boss as I thought it better to be upfront and that way I get all the time I need off for sick leave and don't have to take holiday.  I get to book my worklaod and decide when i travel so have simply not booked anything during April at all until after when I think ET will be.

The amount of time you take  seems to depend on your clinic, I  called ours and got a rough plan of the days and times I would need to be there and it isn't too heavy but I know that ARGC requires you every day during stimms for blood tests.

HTH,

Love Sal

·
Registered
79 Posts
This is a tricky one: trying to fit ICSI round work is one of the most stressful parts of all of this.  I tend to say that I'm having a course of medical treatment the exact timing of which depends on how my body is reacting to the drugs and that during that time it will be difficult for me to fit in travel.  Even if there is a day when one could go to Europe, say, it is just not worth the stress if there is fog or the plane is cancelled etc..

If they guess that this is infertility treatment, then fine; but I have no intention of making it office gossip.

In the first week, there are sometimes gaps which would make a short trip possible. If you do decide to go anywhere then make sure that you also get a letter from your Dr. saying that you need to carry your meds and needles: you cannot risk them getting lost in luggage or having them confiscated.

Good luck.
Pointy

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dear Sal and Pointy
Thanks for your feedback on ICSI and overseas travel, you both made some really useful points. It has helped me to get things into perspective.
I really don't want to tell anyone at work, but as you say, if someone guesses that I'm taking time off for fertility treatment then that's their issue.
I think I've managed to free up my calendar until at least the end of June (by which time I'll know if our first round of treatment was successful). I won't have any problems telling my boss that I can't travel as I'm in the early stages of pregnancy - I'll just ask her to keep it quiet until the usual stage (is it 12 weeks?). If we are lucky enough to get to that stage I won't risk anything harming our chances of a healthy pregnancy.
If this cycle isn't successful then I may consider changing jobs so that the next round isn't so stressful.
Thanks again for your feedback.
xxx

p.s have either of you managed to get access to the 'work issues' section?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hi there - I am really interested in the comments here.

I too travel with my work. In fact I am now on ICSI #2 & need to go to Paris next week. I am slightly worried about what I do about taking my needles with me etc.
Pointy - great advice getting a doctors note for the needles. Will get straight on to that.

Unhappy-1 - I think you have to request permission to access the work board from Tony.

Good luck girls

B x

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I have travelled with needles numerous times and never been stopped. I tell check in staff (if they ask) that i have them and they just say to tell security, which i never do. They haven't ever seen them in my hand luggage, just goes to show how well they watch the bags going through the machines. I do carry a doctors note just in case.

All staff presume your diabetic and that's why you have needles. I have injected myself on planes too. Don't worry about it. Just tell the staff the miminum of info.

Fiona

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.