Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya

I am about to start my 3rd lot of treatment (fet this time) after 2 icsi cycles.  I am a civil servant and the first cycle i took all appointments as holiday and then from ec onwards i had a drs certificate. 
2nd round i spoke to my boss and explained the situation as she was new and not around for the 1st cycle and she advised that i did not need to take these appointments as holiday and she authorised them as sick and i just had to complete a self certificate.
I am now starting my 3rd and the previous boss has now left and because it is my 3rd cycle in 12 months i spoke to my line manager about having the time off again and she discussed this with HR and they have said i should have taken all time off as holiday apart from times covered my drs certificates as i have 'chosen' to have treatment and i was told it is the same rules as cosmetic surgery etc.   They are going to overlook the last treatment that i took off as sick but this time i have been told i must take holiday.  Basically i am wanting to know your views on this and check this is correct.

Also...... sorry there is more!  My line manager is female and i have told her the reasons for time off etc but by the time i start treatment there will be a new head manager who is male and i am not comfortable with telling all to him - i have requested my line manager just say i have hospital appointments etc. My line manager said she didnt know if she could do that and he may need to know.  I queried this....why does he need to know?

Sorry to go on - any advice would be appreciated.

Clare
x

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
Hiya

Clare - unfortunately there is no UK legislation surrounding time off for fertility tx, so in a way as sad as it is it is up to individual companies how they deal with time off.  Some are more sympathetic than others.  Just double check that as a civil servant there isn't a policy relating to this?  Sorry not to give you "nice" advice.

As for telling your head boss why you need time off and the reasons you've been honest with your manager and I guess HR know from your post therefore you may find that he will have been "briefed" as to your situation.  You've requested for him not to know and I can't see any reason why he has to be told.

However, I'm not in public sector, you may find that Karen or Nicky are able to help you further!

Good luck
Love Sue
xxxxx

·
Registered
484 Posts
Hi Clare

I hope you don't mind me poking my nose in but i work in public sector and was told the same as you.  I have to use my annual leave for all my treatment.  With regard to your manager knowing as far as i am aware you are not obliged to tell you manager why u r off sick.  If you tell the manager you have alreayd spoken to that you do not wish the new guy to know about yout treatment then she is unable to tell him.  If she does then i think she is in breech of data protection!  I am sure the others will be able to help you more!

Sharon x

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much for your swift reply sue/sheboo.  

It makes me cross that they say we have chosen to have treatment - we didnt choose to be in this situation but we are helping ourselves to get out of it!   ^tantrum^  

I have liased with HR through my line manager so maybe i should have a meeting with them direct and get the full picture to find out the policy.

Sheboo, thanks for the confirmation of the situation in public sector.  It is frustrating when you have to use your leave for hospital appointments - surely it is supposed to be for relaxation!  Couldnt be further from the truth!
I also thought that if i requested my manager not to know exact reasons then no-one would be entitled to disclose exactly why i was absent.  Other that requesting, i dont know what i can do about it.  I am concerned that if he knew he would let it slip to other people in the section as he is not a people person and probably would not think about how it would affect me.

Thanks again

Clare
x

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Clare

I work in the public sector but the rules there are no different in this respect than any other company (all in private sector) that I have worked for.

We allow hospital appointments (for whatever reason) as authorised absence, as in the main unlike a GP or dental surgery you cannot choose when you go.  However any absence post appointment would need to be either self certificated or medically certificated.

Its as Sue says I'm afraid.

Good luck
Karen x

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Karen - sorry to sound dim but from your post does it mean that if i have a hospital appointment that is 2 hours drive away and i leave at 8am and get back at 12.30 i could go to work for the afternoon and take the morning off as sick or would it just be the 1/2 hour appointment and not counting travelling that i could self certify?  Hope that makes sense.  :)

Clare
x

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.