Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 981 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all  ^wave^
I am new here, just thought I should say hello.  We are on the waiting list for ICSI at the Royal, first appointment is next week.  For a while there, we had our hopes up that we might start treatment soon after that but I have been reading some posts and it doesnt look like that will happen!  ^idiot^ Depressing but at least we are on the list.  We have been trying for 18 months now and we got initial tests done at Hairmyres and ICSI is the only option for us.
Anyone got any idea if the 14-16 month time we were quoted is realistic?
thanks - hope to speak to you all soon

Boo x

·
Registered
450 Posts
I've got my first appointment at the Royal on the 28th.  I think the Lanarkshire waiting time is 14 months as you say, so treatment is a few months after the first appointment.  I got so fed up I went to the Nuffield for one tx, which although a BFN, we learned lots about my response etc.

There is a Scottish thread on here that you could pop in to.

Good luck

Yvonne

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Yvonne. It is all a bit confusing but I am looking forward to finally getting started.
btw - what does "tx" mean?!

Thanks

Boo x

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hi Boo

Welcome to the wonderfull world of FF ;), tx means treatment.

I am attending Glasgow Royal, we went on the NHS waiting list from May 04 but decided to go private in the meantime at the Royal(which took nearly a year anyway!) Although we got BFN (Big Fat Negative) I feel at least they now have notes going forward.  My NHS appointment came up in Aug 05 so that would be 15 months so it should be about right.  Your first appointment will probably just be an intro and then you will get what they call a Screening appointment, where they test bloods etc, this is usually a couple of months before it all starts.

Its an awful waiting game but at least your ball is rolling now and your on the right road ^rainbow^.  Come and join our "Scottish Clinics" thread, this website has been my saviour over the last few months.  ^idiot^

Hope this helps and don't be afraid to ask anything, I know what it was like just starting out, so many questions and nobody to ask - we've all been there!

Good luck and hopefully speak to you soon.

Tracy

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tracy and Yvonne
Thanks for your words of support - it is all a bit daunting but at least we are on the road, as you say.  I am hoping the time will go by quickly - cant wait to get started although I'm sure I have no idea what to expect - ie how the treatment will make me feel etc. ^Exercise!2^
Cant wait though! I will try and pop in soon to the Scottish clinic thread to say hello and read all about everyone's stories and news.
Thanks again - no doubt we will be speaking soon!
take care
Boo x ^monkey^

·
Registered
450 Posts
Fingers crossed for you boo boo  - I'm just over the water from you in Motherwell.

Yvonne

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yvonne - how odd to think we are just a few miles away from each other  ;D
And your appointment is only 14 days after ours!  Ours is next Wednesday, 14th.
How are you feeling about it?

Boo x  ^pompom^

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello Boo,

just finished treatment at Royal Infirmary and was very lucky to get a BFP first time with twins.  The staff and Dr Yates are magnificent and don't worry about the time scales, you will find that you will be on the waiting list from your date of refferal from your GP rather than your first appointment date, so therfore by the time you go for your first appointment you will be near the top of the list. I have listed below the timescales we went through approx ( i'm sure i've got it right as it was all around the time we got married last year).

1st appt approx  Aug

Then i had to go for a Laperoscopy at my own hospital in the Oct.

2nd appt Nov

3rd appt Feb  (Screening)

Started treatment in May

I know it sounds like a long wait but I honestly think now that it's helps on your first attempt,  as it helps you preapre mentally and emotionally for this.

We took up the offer of fertility counselling in the period in between, this is carried out at the Royal Infirmary also and although you may not think that you need it, it definetely helps the whole process along and helped me with the understanding of the technicalities of things like "screening, baseline scans etc."

Just hang on in there and don't hesitate to ask any questions at all.

Good luck and lots of baby dust x x  :)

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Michelle
Congratulations on your great news! You must be thrilled to bits!
It is good to hear so many encouraging stories - it is quite daunting hearing about all the different types of treatment too, long protocol, short protocol etc - am trying to pick up as much info as I can.
We got referred in March this year after 6 months of investigations so I am guessing that our treatment will hopefully start early next summer.  To be honest I cant wait - we have wanted this for so long and put off trying for a baby till we felt financially and emotionally ready but I think you are right, this time will hopefully help us mentally prepare for the treatment and help us become aware of all the medical stuff too.
Everyone seems so nice and supportive - it is really nice to know there are other people going through the same emotions and that you are not alone in all of this.
Cant wait to get started!!  Congratulations again!  ^congrats^

Boo x

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hi Michelle - you got your BFP the same day I got my BFN - coincidence eh? Congratulations, you must be on cloud 9! Grateful for the timeline - I've had my laparoscopy so hopefully our waiting time might be reduced slightly. I've also had my screening, but I will have to do this again I guess as its a different hospital. I first went to my doctor in January 2003, was referred to Monklands in 2004 (who can't do ICSI), and I still haven't had any treatment yet on the NHS. (Both my doc and Monklands had to be chased to send on referral letters - they both 'forgot' - that took up 6 months)

Boo Boo - I was hoping not to get to the Royal Infirmary, we were having treatment at the Nuffield. The Royal have much better success rates, but on the down side you obviously wait longer - both for treatment and in the waiting rooms! ;D

I didn't expect our first cycle to work - success rates are 30% - so I wasn't too disappointed. I did post tx counselling - it was Ok. I think it was better that I didn't build myself up for it to work - otherwise I would have been gutted. The difficult part for me is that I know several people who've had ICSI or IVF - and it all worked first time for them with no difficulties (I'm a poor responder with a thin womb lining - reducing my chances 5 fold). They are at a loss at what to say to me, and they can't really empathise. I'm glad they got a BFP first time, as I wouldn't wish a BFN on my worst enemy. Its important to stay positive, but be balanced about it. (Which is hard when you go to the clinic and they are constantly saying looking good, nice follies, nice embryo etc.) I would rather they countered this a bit with 'fingers crossed' or whatever.

Anyway enough doom and gloom stuff ;D , just chill out over the next few months, and we can compare stories as we go along!

Yvonne

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi all
Oh Michelle - that wait for you appointment must have been SO frustrating, I can only imagine how angry I would have been that their incompetency held you back for so long.
I am not at your stage of getting treatment yet so I dont know what it is like, but I agree, they shouldnt be building your hopes up only for them to crash down even worse when you dont get a BFP.  I guess the good side is that they have found out more about how you respond and what they can improve on for your next treatment, meaning the chances of success will be much better.
When are you going to get your next round of ICSI or are you going to have a few months off before the next treatment?
Can I just say too that this site is great - it is easy to feel so isolated when you are going through this but to know that there are other people who have been through all this before makes you feel less alone, to know that other people are with you on this is a great support.  And we havent even started treatment yet!  God knows what I will be like when the time comes!  ^shake^
Anyway - enough of my senseless babbling for now  ^monkey^
Speak soon

Boo x

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Me again
Sorry - that was supposed to be for Yvonne!
I obviously have got my head up my  ^shake^...
btw Yvonne - I take it the appt on the 28th is your first NHS appointment so you will be starting treatment probably around the same time as I am?

Boo x

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hi Boo,

I'm on my 2nd private cycle at the moment, and its not going well - same probs as last time - not enough follies (even though my drugs are almost at the maximum and I'm on cetrotide) and a thin womb lining. I will be at the Royal for my first NHS appointment in the middle of my 2ww (optimist eh?) . That's assuming I get that far as I can't see this cycle working either if my problems don't resolve.

So yes, we will probably be starting around the same time....I bet they're not looking forward to having me on their patient list, lowering their stats! I reckon we'll start tx in the New Year. What do you think?

Yvonne

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Yvonne
What have the doctors said about your response this time?  You will have to fill me in on what Cetrotide is!!
Can they do anything about your womb lining - sorry for sounding thick, I thought they would supplement you with progesterone to help thicken it up?  Or are they already doing that?
I thought treatment would start much later (we got referred in March '05 and were told it would be a 14-16 month wait so I was thinking we probably wouldnt start tx till about May '06).  I suppose I am trying not to get my hopes up - this from the girl who got so excited that our appt was in Sept and I foolishly thought we might be able to start treatment there and then! Duh.
It just sounds like ages away to be honest - it cant come quickly enough.
Boo x

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi all
Well we had our first appt today with Dr Lyall - she is lovely.  She just took a medical history and explained that when we reached the top of the list we would be contacted to come in and get blood tests done etc.
She said the waiting list is 13-14 months and we would probably reach the top of the list in April or May.  Both feeling quite positive now - she was very reassuring.
The Royal was like a maze though, we went to the ACS Suite instead of the ACS Unit! 
Off on holiday for a week now so will post again when we get back, hope everyone is doing ok.
Good luck with your 2ww Yvonne - hope the news is good...

Boo x

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hi Folks!

Not posted for months, had a problem with my broadband!!!  Really missed the site!

Yvonne - so sorry about your BFN :'( You must have been going crazy. 

I'm still waiting on my screening appointment coming through, I thought I would have received the card by now, we were hoping for an appointment around October, thinking we would start tx in the New Year, but nothing yet!! V V Frustrating!!

Nice to hear from all the new members - I'm in Hamilton by the way!!! Small world!!!

Take care, E X  :)

·
Registered
552 Posts
PS - Just called the Royal to find out current position on the list - The waiting time's up from 13 to 14 months, so it could be November before I hear from them!! :mad:

Sorry to the bearer of bad news girls!! :mad:

Tak care, E X  :(

·
Registered
450 Posts
Erin/Boo,

I went for Celloid Mineral Testing up in Braco whilst I'm waiting, at least I think I'm doing something.  They test a sample of your hair and then tell you what your body is missing.  (roughly £100 then any vits you need on top).  I'm a sceptic but friends of ours who tried for ages to get pregnant tried it and 6 months later they hit lucky.  As we're running out of options me and DH tried it.  Have any of you guys tried this?

Yvonne

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Erin/Yvonne
Hope you are both ok.
I havent tried the mineral testing but I have heard of an organisation called Foresight who also do mineral analysis and other tests to help you get in the best of health for conceiving.  It is good to feel you are doing something though and it may help - I guess it depends what the cause of the infertility is.  Let me know how it goes, would be interesting to see if it does help and I have also heard stories of people who have gone through this and it has worked!
We havent tried anything for ages now - we tried acupuncture for my husband and also chinese teas for both him and I, we spent a lot of money on it but we did at least feel as though we were doing something.  Unfortunately it didnt work and now we are (hopefully) going to start treatment next spring, we are both trying to work on getting as healthy as possible and trying to de-stress ( ha! fat chance!).
Good luck with your appointment Yvonne (this week isnt it?), take care all
speak soon
Boo x

·
Registered
450 Posts
Boo,

My appointment is on Wednesday afternoon....its been a long time coming!  I'll let you know how I get on.

Kind regards
Yvonne

1 - 20 of 981 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.