Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi- went to Chelsea and West and was told we need to do ICSI... but waiting to see consultant next week....

Also have booked an app at Bridge Center- Id really appreciate feedback on the above two clinics...
I just feel like im running around like a headless chicken at the moment! Dont know which clinic to choose?

For those of you who have needed ICSI do you think its worthwhile to see urologist and andrologist too....

Some of the clinics dont seem to have resident urologist/andrologist....? Im just a bit confused- a newbie!

From the postings I see some of you are with 2 clinics...Should I start off with one - also we dont have unlimited amounts to spend on tests and already its started to add up....

Going to see my gp tomorrow about nhs funding but in the meanwhile need to come to some decision about what clinic to choose or Im going to crazy with worry!

So pleased Ive found this website.... thanks Deborah :-\

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
Hi Deb,
I can't answer for Chelsea & Westminster, but have tried the Bridge. Although I know of a few of their success stories, I wasn't very impressed with them, as I felt they didn't tailor treatment to the individual at all - they put everyone on the same protocol/medication (or did when I was there), this didn't suit me and we failed. They also didn't do many blood tests/scans during the treatment, whereas at ARGC (where we have had 2 treatments), they take blood daily (sometimes twice) and scan very often.
I hope this helps and good luck
Jane
x

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
You're welcome - I'm not sure about urologist etc., but I do know they have the best results in the UK, so assume they cover everything necessary.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hi Deb,

I too am having to go down the route of ICSI (hopefully depending on sperm retrieval firstly).  And have just changed my clinic from one here in Wales to The Bridge Centre.

I have read lots of positive reviews on this clinic and they were very helpful when I rang them and yes they do have a Urologist/Andrologist there who flies over once a month from Paris.  I am meeting with him for the first time on 1st Oct so will let you know how it goes.

The one thing I can tell you on them is that Ermey who is a regular on this board is with them and needless to say is currently on her two week wait, I think from what she has said she has been very happy with her treatment there.

Do you mind me asking why you need ICSI?

Good luck with everything.

Lol

Fin

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Fin
Goodness Im so emotional at the moment- and Im just at the start... I can hardly manage with a smear test - just dont know how Im going to cope with the rest! As for my DH he is just so calm and relaxed!
Chelsea and West told me that we need ICSI because of husbands semen analysis... I dont know all the details yet but when I see consultant next week I will let you know...
I had endo, adhesions on right tube, burst ov. cyst and my blood tests dont show im ovulating. My dh has done 3 samples and all I know is that they havent been 'good'- so hopefully we will get a full explanation next week.
Im 32 and DH 30.
Lots of luck for your app on 1st of Oct - let me know how it goes, Deborah

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Hi Deb

I'm at the Bridge but only for the embryology part (ie. putting the eggs and sperm together and then doing the transfer) , I don't have alot of choice as they have an arrangement with my hospital to do this part.  That's probably why you will see lots of people with two clinics - it's a mix of NHS hospital and a private clinic for the fiddly bit! 
I'm not sure, but if you're getting NHS funding don;t you have to go with whoever your NHS clinic links up with? 
Incidentally I'm only getting my drugs funded due to my age but I've looked at the Bridge price list and I reckon it's more expensive there to go private than I'm paying for my treatment there through the NHS hospital link-up.  I think it's because all the extras like additional scans, tests, counselling etc come free at the NHS.  This would be a consideration for us if we wanted to change to a different private clinic - probably alot of additional unseen costs (not to mention the drugs)

I know what Jane means about same protocols - but I had assumed that was as much to do with my hospital ACU as the Bridge.  Interesting.  On the other hand, I don't think I could handle constant blood testing and scanning....

I did unsuccessful IVF in september and am now downregging for ICSI in october.  I don't know about the urologist issue but I was very happy with them from the point of view of being very pleasant and the embryologist was extremely clear and answered all our questions about the fertilisation (which you'll see from my sig below was a bit crap, so we had lots of questions about why).  Found them very friendly, if a little bit hard for DP to find when he was struggling off the tube with a heavy incubator and my precious eggs!!!

Good luck, if you get going soon join us on September Stars thread.
Clairexx

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Claire,

Thanks for message. im going to see my gp tomorrow about funding. He told we that we can get fertility treatment and referred me to Chelsea and West. hospital. When i got there they told me its self-funded and I need to go back to my gp about funding so I will see what happens...

My gynae (who I see privately) referred me to The Bridge Center - if we go there it will be private treatment

Best of luck for ICSI in oct, Deborah

·
Registered
688 Posts
Hi Deb,

I live in Sussex so the Sussex fertility have been seeing me for my scans etc, but they are guided by the Bridge Centre, and its Bridge who have ultimately made the decisions about my e.c and et. and andrology. 

Not sure about the protocol question, but if its any help I have found the Bridge Centre to be expensive but 100% kind, extremely professional, and very very determined, especially when trying to find sperm from my poor dh's VERY low count.

Speaking from expereience this counts for an enmormous amount as we have had problems with the Sussex side of the treatment , and if I lived nearer I would have the whole treament from Bridge and no-one else. Thie attitude has been faultless as far as my experience goes.

Hope this helps I kow it is all really confusing.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Ermey
Thanks for your message.... and info- it is confusing! But feeling so much calmer and positive. Trying to sort out funding issues at the moment - getting conflicting advice if I can get treatment on nhs or not because of post code issues! Hospital says no- gp says yes... will wait and see...
Trying to catch up on the posts- so many new people!
Hope things are going ok with your transfer- wishing you best of luck and thinking of you, Deborah 

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hi there

I also attend the Bridge Centre - up to now I have just been having investigations - no ovulation so was taking clomid for a month but my husband's sperm count was so low that ICSI is the only option.

So far the Bridge has been excellent - returns all calls and seem to be there when you want them.

I am reviewing clinics at the moment due to the new ICSI development - thinking about UCH - but don't know yet - does anybody have any knowledge of the best clinics/ consultants in London for male factor ICSI?

any hep would be appreciated

kitty
xx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts