Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Peter,

You may have seen a previous message of mine re "suitable for injection/poor result". Today things have got worse. I phoned the clinic for progress update on quality/division. They tell me that they have not divided are still one cell and unlikely to progress beyond that. They told me to phone again tomorrow but we probably wont get as far as ET.

Can you tell me why eggs that fertilise will then stop dividing. Is this likley to be egg quality, sperm quality or a combination of both or are there any other factors you can think of.

Many thanks,
Allison.

·
Registered
856 Posts
AllisonT said:
Peter,

You may have seen a previous message of mine re "suitable for injection/poor result". Today things have got worse. I phoned the clinic for progress update on quality/division. They tell me that they have not divided are still one cell and unlikely to progress beyond that. They told me to phone again tomorrow but we probably wont get as far as ET.

Can you tell me why eggs that fertilise will then stop dividing. Is this likley to be egg quality, sperm quality or a combination of both or are there any other factors you can think of.

Many thanks,
Allison.
I am very confused as to what has happened in your case. The best thing to do is to talk to the embryologist involved. Failed fertilisation with ICSI is extremely rare.

Good luck!

Peter

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Peter,

Thanks for your reply yesterday. We went to see the Doctor and Embryologist yesterday and they told me the fiailure is all down to poor eggs. They told me the eggs were grainy and had sticky cytoplasm and therefore they expected a poor rate of fertilisation. However they did say the lack of division was unexpected but put that down to poor eggs as well.

On Friday after EC they told me I had 7 eggs, 2 immature 1 'odd' and 4 "good". Maybe I am being overly suspicious but is blaming bad eggs now because of failure very convenient?

I still cant get over the fact I had 100% fertilisation with IVF in December last year (albeit only 3 eggs) and 100% failure with ICSI this time round. The clinic tell me I cant judge it like that as sample is too small to be realistic.

What level of fertilisation should I expect with grainy and sticky eggs? Does embryology skill come into the equation? Why do they tell you they are good then fail and tell you they were useless - dont they realise how much additional hurt they cause by careless words. We are after all a fairly neurotic bunch us infertile women!

If I were to get hold of the embryology notes for both attempts would your postal consultation be of assistance to me. Perhaps you could IM me with costs etc

Many thanks for your help.

Allison.
x

·
Registered
856 Posts
AllisonT said:
Peter,

Thanks for your reply yesterday. We went to see the Doctor and Embryologist yesterday and they told me the fiailure is all down to poor eggs. They told me the eggs were grainy and had sticky cytoplasm and therefore they expected a poor rate of fertilisation. However they did say the lack of division was unexpected but put that down to poor eggs as well.

This unfortunately sounds like a poor cycle

On Friday after EC they told me I had 7 eggs, 2 immature 1 'odd' and 4 "good". Maybe I am being overly suspicious but is blaming bad eggs now because of failure very convenient?

Possibly but if you trust your clinic I would accept these findings. Idf you do not trust them then move to another clinic.

I still cant get over the fact I had 100% fertilisation with IVF in December last year (albeit only 3 eggs) and 100% failure with ICSI this time round. The clinic tell me I cant judge it like that as sample is too small to be realistic.

Statistically it is too small but statistics can prove anything! It is very suspicious to me that one cycle is OK and the other is not.

What level of fertilisation should I expect with grainy and sticky eggs?

It varies but it should ceratinly not be a total fail

Does embryology skill come into the equation?

Yes, this is important with everything

Why do they tell you they are good then fail and tell you they were useless - dont they realise how much additional hurt they cause by careless words. We are after all a fairly neurotic bunch us infertile women!

Your case seems to have been badly managed from that point of view. I am always very honest with patients if I think that there is a potential problem. If the problem goes away that's great but if it does come to something then at least the patients knew that there was a problem.

If I were to get hold of the embryology notes for both attempts would your postal consultation be of assistance to me.

Possibly

Perhaps you could IM me with costs etc

It's £50 per consultation, 10% of which I will donate to Gt Ormond St Hospital. Please send everything you can get hold of to:

2 Bassett Close
Cambridge
CB4 2UQ

It will then be forwarded to me in Canada

Good luck!

Peter

Many thanks for your help.

Allison.
x

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Peter for your reply.

I will try and get hold of the embryology notes for both cycles and will forward them to you at the Cambridge address along with my cheque.

Many thanks for your help to date.

Allison
x

·
Registered
856 Posts
AllisonT said:
Thanks Peter for your reply.

I will try and get hold of the embryology notes for both cycles and will forward them to you at the Cambridge address along with my cheque.

Many thanks for your help to date.

Allison
x
OK, I look forward to hearing from you

Regards,

Peter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts