Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I will be starting my first course of icsi in august and feel quite anxious about it.

i am under kings college hospital.

Where did you purchase your drugs from?? ???

The doctor has given me a private prescription and told me to shop around a bit for the best price.

Hubby is due to have his retrevial on the 3rd of July and i have been told to purchase the drugs very soon after but seem to be getting a bit stuck as to where to get them form. ( just the cost nearly made me faint )

look forward to hearing from you all and hearing how you are all getting on.

Regards

Sue

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi Sue

We're first timers too due to start in about 3 weeks time. We managed to get our GP to give us a NHS prescription for the drugs, we nearly passed out at the cost too! Have you tried your GP ?

Other than that I think you can just take the private prescription into a pharmacy and ask for a price - so shop around - you could always try on-line as well.

Tip wise I've been advised to take multi-vitamins and a low dose asprin a day to improve implantation chances. I'll post another message if I pick up any useful tips along the way.

Good luck
Sheila

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Sheila

Thanks for the tips. Already started the folic acid.

Hubby is due to have retrevial 3rd july then i start the injections next monthly.

So far found the hospital the cheapest although i have tried quite a few places.

Best of luck

Sue :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi All

Thanks for the messages of support and help.

I have found the pharmacy at Kings college the cheapest place to get the drugs so will be going there.

hubby has an appointment there on the 3rd of july so will get them at the same time.

I can't believe how much the cost varies from pharmacy to pharmacy. One quoted me £652 and kings was nearly half price :eek:

good luck to everyone

Sue :)

·
Premium Member
6,624 Posts
Sue,

What drugs have you been quoted for - it sounds very cheap to have 1/2 price of £600+.

All the best to your dh for the 3rd July :eek:(and to you for the anxiety whilst he does his bit!)

love

Sue MJ. ;)

p.s there are just too many of use Sue's on this site now! It's getting very confusing.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi all,

I hope I am posting in the right section. I have been looking at this site for some time (like a stalker), and thought it was about time I actually wrote something myself.

I have just started my first ICSI cycle (you'll have to bear with my I'm not used to the lingo yet). I started sniffing 2 and a half weeks ago, and I am due to have my first scan tomorrow to check that the spray is being effective. I am absolutely dreading it, as I'm worried that it's not working. I was told about all of the side effects, so was expecting to feel quite sick by now, but I haven't felt anything. I keep wondering whether I'm doing it right. How can one little sniff really make a difference. I should be excited with it being the first time, but I really can't help feeling quite negative. Can anyone give me any advice? Is it normal to not feel any different. I am also going to be an egg donor (that's providing I do produce eggs). As well as helping someone else, it also makes a huge difference to the cost. I will only be paying £600 in total (the only extras will be if we freeze any embryos).

Also, should I be taking any multi-vitamins or aspirin. The only thing I've been told to take is folic acid.

By the way, should I be posting anywhere else too?

Hope to hear from you soon,

Louise W :)
xxx

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Louise

Hi everyone else.

I am also on my first cycle of ICSI. I started sniffing on 8th May and went for my first scan on 27th May.

I had also heard all the side effects of the sniffing but I can honestly say I didn't have any either. My first scan was fine (I was also terrified of what they would find or wouldn't). Scan was no problem, only took a few minutes.

I was also worried that I was spraying wrong - sometimes I could taste it and other times I couldn't.

I spoke to my doctor about asprin but he wouldn't commit himself either way. I felt that if they wanted me to take it they would have told me. All I have been taking is folic acid and hubby has been taking zinc which is supposed to help sperm.

I started injecting on Friday 31st and that is now a different story. Injections are ok, hubby does them for me I couldn't face it. But I feel washed out, constantly tierd and more irritable (if thats possible!!).

Good luck with your scan - let us know how you get on.

If I can help at all with anything you want to ask - please just ask.

Take care

Juls :-*

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi Julie.D

Thanks for your message. I keep posting to different people under different headings. Am I supposed to be doing this?

When you had your first scan, did you start the injections straightaway. I think I start my injections tomorrow providing my spray has been effective. I have been a bit worried about the spray working as I've been quite bunged up from a cold.

Where do you do your injections? Is there any particular part of your body that they recommend? How long have you been told you need to do them for, and do you need to carry on taking your spray? When have you got your next scan? God I'm asking soooo many questions? Sorry!

I didn't realise that the injections make you tired and irritable. I don't think I better tell dh that I could be getting more irritable, as I think he's likely to move out! I've never been so irritable and had such mood swings in all my life, and I haven't started the injections yet. One minute I'm chilled (not very often), the next I'm like a psycho woman, and the next minute I'm in floods of tears over the most pathetic things. :'( Are you like this?

take care,

love Louise :)
xxx

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Louise how did you get on today?

When are you starting injections?

I had my scan on Monday 27th May and they told me to start injections on the Friday of that week 31st.

I had a bad cold as well when I was sniffing but it didn't affect it working.

I was told to either do injections in top of leg or in stomach. I was frightened the stuff wouldn't get through my flabby stomach so I felt it was safer to do it in my leg!!!!! (what do I mean I - its dear hubby who is doing injections). We were given an auto injector which is just like a pen - you just press the button and in the needle pops - you don't even have to see the needle) - it really isn't difficult or sore. ::)

I started injecting last Friday and go tomorrow for response scan so I will find out tomorrow when I stop injecting. Hopefully it will have worked - fingers crossed!!

Yes you also carry on taking your spray as well. I spray at 8am and 8 pm and inject round about 6 pm (I work shifts so it has been a bit of a hassle fitting everything in). But I don't care i'll try anything.

You may be different with side effects - hopefully you don't get any.

Take care and just ask anything you want to.

This is the only way to get through this with the help of each other.

Keep in touch

Juls xx :-*

PS thanks for personal message (how do you do that - so I can reply to you personally)?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi Julie,

I don't know how I did the personal message. I just pressed on reply. Is that right?

My scan was fine today. I was worried about nothing. They told me the spray is working and I started my injections today. They did the first one while I watched and I've got to do it tomorrow (or my dh). I'm not looking forward to doing it myself as it's a lot more involved than I thought. I'm sure I'll get used it though. I've also got an auto injector which seems really confusing? Did you soon get used to the injections? I've got my scan 1 week tomorrow to check that the injections are working.

Anyway good luck for tomorrow, let me know how it goes.

take care,

Love Louise
xxx :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Louise

Glad the scan went well.

I was really worried when we left the hospital with all the injections and stuff and thought oh my god - will we do this properly but after the first one it was fine.

Just relax, give yourself plenty of time and you will be fine - the first one is the worst - by the second you will be an expert ;D

Auto injector does look a bit confusing - but i'm sure you'll have mastered it by the time you read this.

Keep in touch - i'll hopefully post on monday after EC - take care and look after yourself!!!

Love Juls xx :-*

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey. This is my first message on these boards. I have been a keen reader of late. I am going to Bourn Hall in Cambridge for my first round of ICSI. I start sniffing on 8th June and it looks as though ET could be the day before a friend's wedding.  :-\My DH is best man. Does anyone have any experience on this.  How may I feel that day after and will it be realistic to think I will be able to go?  ^idiot^Am feeling a bit anxious about the whole thing really, but also really excited that at last we are doing something positive. Everything crossed!! ^spin^

Mel

1 - 13 of 13 Posts