Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Peter
I have a few linked questions that I would be really grateful of your thoughts as our review with clinic not for a couple of weeks and am trying to re-find fighting spirit!

We have been told icsi only option for us as DP has very high antibodies that stick all his sperm together causing 0% progression plus high abnormalities. He has had no injury, no vasectomy, no infections in past 15 years that aware of, and he is not a professional cyclist, but he has developed hayfever and seasonal asthma late in life. The asthma was diagnosed last summer. Apart from this he is fit and well (we both are). Any ideas on why he has antibodies? Is it connected with his allergic tendencies? When 'washed' during our 1st cycle, we were told motility was then 50%, but we still had icsi. Could we have had ivf instead?

We had 6 x 1-2 grade embryos (3 day transfer), but the 2 transferred in May did not result in +preg. From my reading around ff site it does seem that egg quality has a big role to play (a whole different question), but so too has the sperm? Should we ask our clinic to test DP for any other problems, apart from their lack of movement before washing? Or is this unnecessary?

We will have FET hopefully later this summer so being positive and hopeful that another full cycle will not be needed, but trying to be realistic and getting my head around all of the clinical side of things. I also realise that this was our 1st attempt and it may take a few goes - but I suppose I'm looking for reasons, which may not be known.

Many thanks in anticipation Peter
Canada's gain is UK's loss (but not ff's!)
Jake

·
Registered
856 Posts
Jake said:
Please see my comments in your text:

Peter
I have a few linked questions that I would be really grateful of your thoughts as our review with clinic not for a couple of weeks and am trying to re-find fighting spirit!

We have been told icsi only option for us as DP has very high antibodies that stick all his sperm together causing 0% progression plus high abnormalities.

Sounds reasonable

He has had no injury, no vasectomy, no infections in past 15 years that aware of, and he is not a professional cyclist, but he has developed hayfever and seasonal asthma late in life. The asthma was diagnosed last summer. Apart from this he is fit and well (we both are). Any ideas on why he has antibodies?

Sperm are foreign cells and the immune sysyem often reacts against. We do not know how this happens in otherwise normal males.

Is it connected with his allergic tendencies?

No

When 'washed' during our 1st cycle, we were told motility was then 50%, but we still had icsi. Could we have had ivf instead?

Quite possible. It really depends on the extent of abnormal sperm. If this is high you risk failed fertilisation in IVF. Make your clinic justify the use of ICSI.

We had 6 x 1-2 grade embryos (3 day transfer), but the 2 transferred in May did not result in +preg. From my reading around ff site it does seem that egg quality has a big role to play (a whole different question), but so too has the sperm?

Eggs and sperm have equal roles in the overall result.

Should we ask our clinic to test DP for any other problems, apart from their lack of movement before washing? Or is this unnecessary?

Nothing springs to mind in the UK although in Canada we offer DNA fragmentation studies on sperm and aneuploidy screening on embryos. This information helps enormously.

We will have FET hopefully later this summer so being positive and hopeful that another full cycle will not be needed, but trying to be realistic and getting my head around all of the clinical side of things. I also realise that this was our 1st attempt and it may take a few goes - but I suppose I'm looking for reasons, which may not be known.

Good luck!

Peter

Many thanks in anticipation Peter
Canada's gain is UK's loss (but not ff's!)
Jake

1 - 2 of 2 Posts