Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband has a low count (500,000). The gyneacologist that I saw concluded that we would need ICSI, but the urologist that my husband later saw said that we would be good candidates for IVF due to good motility (75%). So we are now rather confused.

Does anyone know how low is low (if you get my drift), i.e. when do you need ICSI rather than IVF? I realise that everyone is different, but it might help to have a general idea before deciding what clinic. Due to financial reasons egg-sharing is my only option and in some clinics icsi is included in the price and others the price is cheaper, but icsi extra.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Hi Rissa,

What a really hard question to answer. It is so difficult for us when the "experts" cannot agree.  The urologist sounds like the better expert on this although it will depend on their IVF experience of course. 

Do you know why you need IVF or ICSI in the first place? Are they saying it is MF based on the low count?

Some clinics offer to do a "split" and do a 50-50 IVF/ICSI. The reason why is if IVF does not work (i.e no fertilisation) you do not waste a cycle if the backup ICSI works. The problem with this is that if you egg-share you may not get enough to make it worthwhile.

I gather from other ladies that their DH's samples vary a great deal from month to month so it may be a question of waiting until the day and then making your decision.

Hope that this ramble helps and that someone at your clinic will be able to advise further based on the data.  Hopefully other ladies with more experience here will be able to help.

With warmest regards,

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its Male Factor (Primary Testicular Failure due to mumps as a teenager). Everything is fine with me.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Rissa - is your DH eating organic, reducing stress and alcohol.  500.000 to me sounds alot esp. as I'm Azoospermia, but M&M is also a big factor.
I also understand the cost issue our 1st tx cost us 4k GBP...  :-[
The problem is even with ICSI, it does not gurantee embryos will develop, the only thing we can do it listen to the experts and hope...  ^reiki^  ^reiki^

Anyway good luck!!

Regards
Andy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts