Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Dh and I are in the process of IVF treatments. I just had ec yesterday and et is Friday. My dr said that I have pcos. I do respond well to fertility drugs; however, we've gone through 5 failed IUI cycles. I also had a sonohystergram to rule out blocked tubes. This morning I received a phone call about our eggs. Out of 3 eggs that were fertilized naturally, 2 of them fertilized (we also did icsi on the rest). So that means that the issue is NOT a fertilization problem. I'm wondering what else could be wrong with me for the past 5 IUIs to have failed. I'm worried that it's something at the implantation stage.
Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
hi luv, I'm no dr but I also had 4 iui's, some times this treatment just doesn't work. The problems with iui is that you have no idea even whether you eggs have been fertilized, so you spend the 2ww wondering if anything has been going on in there. the success rates for iui are no where near as good as those for ivf and so I think that its not unusual for you to have had 5 unsuccessful attempts, I prefer not to refer to it myself as having 'failed' because this emplies that you may have had some control over the situation and you don't.

I know it's hard but try not to focus to much on the past and think about all those lovely embies that you and your dh have created. I am sure that you will get you dream even if it doesn't work this time, it's one step closer with every try.

see you in the 2ww love hammy xx

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hammy, thank you so much for your response. Yeah, I know that unfortunately they cannot tell anything from IUIs. After our 5th failed one, we had the option of having a laparoscopy to check for endometresis (since she was at a loss as to why it was failing) or to go straight to ivf. We opted for IVF. I was kind of hoping that the fertilization step would shed some light as to why the IUIs didn't work but it didn't (i.e. if none of the natural ones fertilized). Thanks...you're so right about not referring to past attempts as failures since we don't have any control. We're still hoping this method will work for us. We have ET tomorrow and then I"ll see you in the 2ww. How are you doing with the wait? Hope your dream comes true!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts