Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a negative from my third ICSI attempt (and on FET also).  Doctor advised that your chances increase up to the fourth attempt, is this true. 

My first ICSI was in Jan 04 and we have had the 3rd one in Aug 04 with six frosties for transfer.  Anyone know the recommended time frame between treatments?  I feel I need a rest from the emotional draining it is taking  :'(

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Hi Fifers,

So sorry to hear about the failed attempts. I know a little of how much that hurts.

We are in a similar position with 2 failed ICSI's and one failed FET.

I would also like to know about the success rates after multi failures. Once I found some info on the HFEA website about this but just tried to find it again and couldn't.

Your doctors comment is a little puzzling. Maybe he meant that at approx. 25% success rates 4 would be 100%?

Personally I am a little sceptical about this. From looking at the 2ww lists for over a year it is obviously that some women succeed at the first attempt whilst many others needs 4 or more. Some never succeed.

If you look at this link for an earlier poll you can get an idea. What we are missing maybe is a poll for attempts before we give up or similar?

http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4914.0/viewResults.html

Will post more if I find more info. Hope that this helps.

Big (((HUGS))) to you from,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Flopsy for your reply.  As usual, just desperate for answers/explanations at this stage.  We went to see our doc today and he said the success rate increases cumulatively with each attempt.    Infertility problem with us is a vasectomy and I am 40 so the clock is ticking.  We seem to pass each painful step successfully and fail at implantation for which there is no scientific reasons for this.

Our Doc is SO nice and positive that I am hopeful again.  We are lucky that we can afford to keep trying for another while.  We will have FET in November due to forthcoming holidays so I am looking forward to a little break from it all emotionally and then hopefully, we will be  :)!

Thanks for your message, it helps so much to 'talk' to someone who has been there!

What are your plans now?

Good luck and thanks!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hi Flopsy and Fifers

Isn't it confusing hanging onto numbers and measurements as we do?  I was interested to read the thread as it's something I'm struggling to get my head around.  We'd been told that the chances of pregnancy / live with the first three attempts are the same ( around 25%).  However our main Doc advised us on cumulative pregnancy rates 1 go = 25% 2 attempts 45% and 3 attempts 60%.  Another Dr said that it's hard to know chances when there are so many factors involved.  I'm 37 have PCOS, have never ovulated, endometreosis and DH 7 years post vasectomy too.  We've had two ICSI and are awaiting the third attempt.  I'd be very interested to hear if you come across anything.

Our clinic advises to wait at least 3 months between cycles, apparently ovaries are swelled upto the size of grapefruits and you need to readjust emotionally.  We've left it over a year this time, DH never been right since PESA and I found EC agony (I'm usually a drama Queen but he's generally made of much stronger stuff!)

Lolly XXX

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Flopsy & Lolly

It would seem Lolly & I were given the same information about cumulative success so that is interesting.  I am pleased to hear about the 3 month gap between treatments you were recommended, I have not taken than long and really feel I need a break just now.  I am going to try to concentrate more on 'acceptance' for a while. We will give it our best shot for as long as we can but I need to start thinking about the likelihood that it won't work more seriously.  My DH has two childern already so that makes it a bit harder for me. However, I am lucky I have him and as Lolly says, will have to make the most of what I have got!

Thanks for being there, it helps SO much to have somewhere to 'sound off'.

I am in work drinking green tea which I am told will help!  I will have to develop a taste for it I think.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Dear F & F

Fifers, my DH had 2 children in a prev relationship too, I struggled for a while thinking it was extra hard on me for that reason.  Turning the tables the other way... DH says that just makes him feel more guilty and he'd do anything to make me have them. 

Green tea... sounds dreadful, there's me trying to convince myself the vitamins in the red wine will help.  Am soo desperatly trying to stop drinking before next cycle, just seem to be drinking more than before!  Any tips on developing taste for green tea of an evening would be appreciated.  Just how does green tea work? Off with DH to Prague for a few days this afternoon, might have to start it when we get back.  Nee mind for the bext few days will have to concentrate on NBBS, yep apparently you can do it just for fun!

Agree with Fifers that I find comfort in knowing that we've been given the same advice, I do like consistency, very reassuring.

I'd recommend anyone to rest, I was sooo tired from it all, my PCOS symptoms were terrible too, dunno if the IVF aggravated things.  Feeling brill now so gonna enjoy my days, try get healthy for next cycle and look forward to a new baby one way or another next year (if it don't work we're having a baby dog!).

Not sure what FET involves, does it take as much physical toll as ICSI?

Keep in there girlies xxxxx

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi

we had a consultation after out third -ve and the consultant explained success rates like this:

there's a 25% chance in any cycle,
so out of 100 people - 25% get pregnant in the first cycle (that is 25 people)
in the second cycle there's only 75 people left, because 25 are already pregnant. 25% of these 75 get pregnant, which is 19 people.
in the third cycle there's only now 56 people left, and 25% get pregnant (14 people)
and it goes on like that for each cycle.

we asked why it was that the rates dropped off from the first cycle and he said it was because the really fertile people had already got pregnant.

on the one had his statistics are a bit depressing, (for us who didn't get pregnant on IVF quickly) but on the other hand, it means by cycle number three 58% of people have successfully got pregnant, and you're still in with a chance every cycle.

xx

Rosy

·
Registered
391 Posts
Thanks for that Rosy

Good luck with your decision

lolly XX

1 - 8 of 8 Posts