Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My dp and I are due to start our 1st ICSI March 05.  I currently weigh 13 stone - my height is 5ft 2inch.  Would i need to shed some pounds b4 starting the treatment.  I have read that your BMI needs to be within the 'normal' ratio to begin treatment.

Emmatt xx  ^feedback^

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't have an answer but I have a related question!
Is it possible that low weight might negatively affect the outcome?
I am not that thin, but because I weigh around 8 stone for 5 ft 4 inches my BMI is below 20, around 18.5 to 19.
Would I have better chances if I had more flab on me? Mind you, I don't feel skinny, but every time I go to the clinic to have my injections the nurses make comments about how little flab I have on my tummy "to choose from".

Just wondering...

cheers

Zuzzy

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi,

Although being overweight is not ideal and studies have shown IVF not to be so successful in women with high BMI's, I think you have to keep it in perspective....

I tried and tried to lose weight and eventually went for it with a BMI still well in excess of 30 - I am now 22 weeks pg with twins. Some clinics would not have treated me but I believe that everyone has the right to try.Being overweight is not necessarily an obstacle, I responded well to normal levels of drugs and there were no problems with egg collection under GA.

Good luck.

Love Nicnack

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
hi girls, my clinic told be my BMI must be 30 or below, think at moment mines is 36, so have three and a half stones to lose, although when enquired about why they have it at 30 as that is still clinically overweight, they said that they prefer it this way as when you are overweight your body doesn't produce as many hormones and if trying to get preganant naturally this can lead to a healthy sperm and egg not being fertilised, so they put it into practice for all of their infertility treatments too, hope this has been of some help,

debsx :)

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
hi,

Our clinic made no particular comment about weight issues, DH is somewhat overweight and I am technically overweight although I can 'get away with it' as I am 5ft10.

However, we have decided to try and lose weight before starting TX, DH as he wants to get fitter in general and me because all my clothes are on the tight side now and I hear that TX makes you put on weight and I really don't want to have to buy a whole new wardrobe just because of TX successful or not!!!

In general though losing weight cant hurt your chances but I'm not sure I would delay TX just so that I could lose weight (we have delayed for other reasons)

HTH, I know its a little waffley

Love Sal

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I am 5ft 6 and when i first started at the infertility clinic (July 04) i was 14 stone. My consultant said that I should try and lose a stone not because it would affect my fertility but because overweight women have more complications during pregnancy.

Hope this helps

PS I managed to lose 17lb I had heard that IVF makes you put on weight too, so I'm trying to lose a bit more before i start ivf/icsi in April.

·
Registered
913 Posts
The old weight chestnut!!

Medical advice is always to be within normal BMI range because thats what everybody is supposed to be in regardless! I suspect that most clinics err on the side of caution for very high BMIs.

A drastic diet in preparation for tx may not be good as you might cut out vital nutrients.  I would suggest a healthy diet option and increase the exercise to help shift any unwanted pounds. 

Zuzzy - my BMI at tx was around 19.5 and we got BFP!  My tummy was trim  ;D - but I put that down to serious abs work and Pilates!

Good luck to you all
LindaJane
:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.