Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

No problems here really, just after some top tips from Mums of toddlers to re jig my little girl's routine, and maybe ideas of what is coming up as she grows.

Beth is 17.5 months, very wakeful (i.e stays awake a long time between sleeps, dropped to one nap at just 9 months) but a very good sleeper and likes a lot of sleep in total (usually 13 hrs or more at night and 2 or more in the day until recently).

Her routine until recently was:

Anywhere between 8 and 9 am wake up (I know- how lucky am ? - I worked hard at it mind!)
Breakfast within an hr of waking up (no milk)
12.30/1ish lunch
1.30-3.30/4 nap
cup of milk and maybe sultanas upon waking
5.45/6 dinner
7.00 bath, milk, stories (total milk per day about 450 mls, not incl cheese, yoghurt etc)
7.30/7.45 bed

Lately she has been taking ages to fall asleep at night. ie. sometimes over an hour. She is not at all unhappy, just not tired and also sensitive to noise in the kitchen (near her room - can't put her anywhere else, australian house - stupid designs!), she eventually goes off on her own.

In the morning she often has to be woken, and after her nap. I think it is more an issue of too short a time between finishing the nap and going to bed rather than needing less total sleep, though a drop in her sleep requirements is probably part of it. I have tried putting her down for her nap earlier but I find either she either takes a long time to fall asleep or wakes up after only 1.5 hrs.

I suspect what I have to face is the end of my 2 hr day time 'break' (read housework time!) and going to a shorter and earlier nap. It is just a shame cos it is hard to get us both up, dressed, breakfasted and out of the house in time to do anything much before having to get back for lunch as it is. We don't go anywhere in the afternoon except for a 10 min walk, not sure how to fit it all in!

Also, she has just started family daycare 2 mornings a week 9-1 and loving it. I get her straight out of her cot, dressed and into the car seat and then she has breakfast and lunch at the carers, and home for nap time. If I have to start putting her down for her nap early or waking her up earlier in the morning, that is going to muck up that little routine. I am possibly starting back to work a few hours a week in a couple of months so will be looking at seeing if she will nap at the carers and extend her time there from say 9-3.30 on one or both of the days.

The other thing I am aware of is that her dinner is quite late and I wonder sometimes if she needs more time to digest, but its never bothered her before, so I doubt it. We eat then when DH gets home so that we can all eat together. She always has half an hour to play before bathtime and usually does a poo then. Also, I am loathe to bring bedtime any earlier cos she only sees Daddy between 6 and 7.30 pm on weekdays (he leaves the house at 7.20am).

So, just wondering whether people think its best to stick with the 13 hrs at night she seems to love and rush around every morning to get back in time for nap between 12.30 and 3. Or trying waking her after 12 hrs at night, and a 2-3 hr nap in the day. Or any other combination??

Any feedback welcomed.

Thanks

Sue

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Personally I would leave the nights as they are, especially if you don't want to put her to bed any earlier, but maybe not let her nap for so long in the afternoon. My dd is nearly 19 months and has a 1.5-2 hour nap but it's in the morning so I do leave her to wake up when she is ready - if she napped in the afternoon I would probably limit her.

Her dinner maybe later than some but then it's relative to her bedtime - mine have dinner around 5pm but go to bed at 7pm, so if she's ok with it I would leave that how it is.

The other thing is that if you wake her in the morning before she's had enough sleep you may find she's just crabby and irritable until she goes back to bed which is no fun for anyone.

Not sure that's any help, sorry!

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
Hi Sue

I agree with Chux re not messing with the night sleep.

Ethan naps 12-2ish  and goes to bed at 7.15pm but lately he is taking absolutely ages to go off to sleep. Last night we could hear him on the monitor chatting and messing around for 1.5 hours!! And he has no toys in his cot!! He is also taking up to 40 mins to go off for his nap even when showing signs of tiredness. I haven't tweaked his routine as it suits us well. We go out in the morning and are back for a light snack and then nap. He has a late lunch when he wakes and then we go out between 3-5pm and home for dinner at 5.30pm then milk at 6.30pm and then bath etc before bed.

I have recently tried giving him lunch first then putting him down for a later nap but found he took just as long to settle and then woke up in a foul mood about 4pm having missed the afternoon.

Re the daycare. Ethan has lunch then a later nap at nursery 2 days a week and manages fine having one 'nursery' routine and one 'home' routine.

Good luck

Nicky x

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Chux and Nicky for the replies,

I will leave the night time sleeping alone, as you say she will probably just be grumpy if I wake her up before she's ready.

Its good to know that two separate routines for home and nursery can work.

I think what I will do is go for a more snacky/finger food lunch that she can eat in the pram/trolley etc when out and about so that she can go straight to bed when we get in, which will bring the nap forward by about half an hour. It does mean there will be more pressure for her to eat her veggies at tea time, but its not every day and hey ho - she eats what she eats.

I will also make sure the nap is finished by 3pm at the latest, regardless of whether she was late going down or not. I think its more important for her to have good night time sleep.

Maybe when she is older and only having a short nap I might consider cutting back the night time sleep just so I can have a break in the day for a little longer rather than her dropping it altogether at a younger age.

Thanks

Sue xx

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
we're similar to Chux here, nighttime sleep is 7-7 and nap is 11am-1pm (sometimes less at only 1.5 hours) so our 2 are really good and tired by the time bedtime comes.

I definitely wouldn't mess with night sleep, you dont want to cause a problem, but yeah, maybe naps are too late/long for bedtime?

when you say ages to fall asleep h9ow long do you mean?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Mrsj,

The trouble with DD is if you put her down for a nap before she is good and ready, she just won't sleep or will be up in 20-40 mins and that is it for the rest of the day! The earliest she will go to sleep after waking is 4 hrs, and since she usually wakes up at 08.30, then I can't put her down for a nap at 12.30 cos she'll wake up hungry for lunch, can't do lunch any earlier cos she doesn't finish breakfast until 09.45. So the earliest I can put her down for a nap is 1pm.

What I am going to do is have a trial run next week or week after of a 1-2.30pm nap time and see if this results in falling asleep straight away at bedtime. I can't face doing yet as DH is away this week and feel like I need the break in the day time of the 2-3 hrs when I am on my own.

Then I will go with whichever routine gets her the most total sleep (rather than most total time in cot!).

Ages to fall asleep is over an hour - the longest has been about 1.5 hrs.

Will let you know how I get on

Ta

Sue

1 - 6 of 6 Posts