Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
  I was signed off from the IVF clinic two weeks ago and told to make appointment with midwife which i had today. On my 6 wk scan the clinic thought they could detect 3 heartbeats and on my 8 wk scan they were unsure.I bought a doppler and can usually find two but not sure if its the same one just moving.

My appointment today was my booking in one but i still haven't had a dating scan and we have no idea how many bundles we are due to expect. The midwife said that the clinic should have given us the answers but she agreed to check me over seeing as i was there. She says my uterus is the same size as a 16+ wk pregnancy but i'm only 11 wks. Does this point towards a multiple or am i dreaming? She tried to find heartbeats with doppler but my belly was grumbling too much but she thinks she found two. It might be weeks before i get the scan so can we get one privately so we can find the truth?

Thanks for reading....just rambling on but it helps

Helen

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Hi Helen,

Firstly congrats on your pg!

You can definitely book a private scan at any time and it sounds like it may help put your mind at rest.  I had a similar thing with my pg in that my gp said my uterus was measuring big for my dates from the first time he saw me.  He kept telling me how he was convinced I was carrying twins but the scan at my clinic had only shown one heartbeat.  I remember being quite anxious about it as I just felt I needed to know so that I was prepared.  We booked a 12 week scan privately where they confrmed a singleton pregnancy which helped although I have to say I spent my whole pg wondering if I was in fact carrying twins as I was so large.  Turns out I was carrying a hell of a lot of fluid though - both in my uterus and in the form of swelling around my whole body due to water retention.

Hmm, that's probably confused you even more!  Just really wanted to say that I know how you feel and that you can certainly book a private scan to put your mind at rest. 

Let us know how you get on and enjoy your pregnancy.

petlamb x

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi Helen

Congrats on the pregnancy. I think you should definately go for a private scan and as you are 11 weeks you can get a nuchal done at the same time if you want one that is as you can have one anytime after 11 weeks 3 days--But if it is twins there is a different process required. Saying this however if you are having a multiple pregnancy you can insist on a scan on the  NHS due to the increased risks. A bit of foot stamping is required but I have found that the case through most of my pregnancy. If they still refuse then go up to the hospital and say you are full of anxiety because of your size and insist again. Let's not forget we ahve all paid for this service for our working life and somepeople jsut work the system better than others.

I measured about 8 weeks ahead from when I was about 8 weeks pregnant and now have a 47 inch waist and surprising have only put on 10lbs the entire pregnancy. Saying this my friend with a singleton also measured large.

Hope this helps. And if you need some dramatic claims to get that public scan pm me.

Love
Megan

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello again,

Thanks for all your advice, any idea's how i go about getting a scan privately? Should i ring the clinic or just hold on and see what miracle our midwife can sort out?
            She seemed really sorry that i had been expecting some answers that she couldn't give me and has put in for a scan for us but its just a case of waiting. I've never been very patient and IVF just made me even worse, more determined to find the facts.

·
Premium Member
5,346 Posts
Hi - You can ring any clinic you like to arrange a scan privately - shop around though coz they can vary in price enormously.

Congratulations and Good Luck :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.