Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!  ;)

My name is Laura and i'm 24 years old. I have been with my husband for 7 years and have been trying for a baby for 3 years. After 6 months of trying we went to my gp. He found my husband has a low sperm count. He told us to come back in a year if we still had no luck. We did as he said and were then referred for tests at our local hospital. They then refered us for treatment which begins next month - icsi. I would love to chat to people in the same situation, or people that have been through this treatment. Your advice and experiences would be really appreciated.

Finding this website is a godsend as i feel i have finally found people who understand what i am going through. Some days i feel really low and depressed, it can feel really lonely even though i have lots of love from friends and family. It is hard seeing friends fall pregnant so quickly and not realising how lucky they are. I just feel a part of me is missing and the thought it may never happen for us scares the hell out of me. I just don't know how i would cope.  :'(

Thank you for listening and understanding how i feel. I wish you all the very best with your treatment and hope we can all be a great support to each other.

Laura xxx :)

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Hello Laura xxxxx welcome to FF I'm quite new, I joined about 6 weeks ago unfortunately I didn't no about FF on my last tx! but will defo be using it on my next tx. There is so much support and advice xxx My DH has also a very low count and motility and our only option is also ICSI!! hopefully now you have found FF you wont feel so alone x whenever I have downs days I always pop onto FF and it helps me!! No doubt someone will be along soon with some links for you to have a look at x I hope your tx goes well and good luck xxxx
Hayleigh xxxx

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Hi Laura,

Welcome to Fertility Friends. This website has been a godsend to me over the last couple of years. Here is ICSI support page http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=31.0 Hopefully you can speak to others that are going through the same things as you.

I know how it feels so unhappy and lonely when everybody arounds you has got children or is pregnant. I had been trying many years in my 1st marriage to get pregnant with no luck. So I do count my blessings that after 5 years with my DH that I have got twin boys after my 2nd attempt as IVF.

Anyway good luck and if you need a chat give me a shout.

Sharon xx

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Welcome to FF Laura

Good luck with your journey  ^hugme^

Em x

·
Premium Member
20,592 Posts
^hello^
& Welcome to FF Laura ^hugme^
sorry for the delay in replying :-[
I hope that your 1st ICSI goes well and that you continue to post and get support from FF as its a truely great site, with many experiences to help you at every stage of the journey.
Get your DH on some extra vitamins if hes not already ;)

I am going to leave you some direct links to boards here on FF - that you may or may not have found, I would like to encourage you to post in these areas to build friendships and support from members who really do have an understanding of your situation, You may find there is an active running thread for ladies having treatment at the same clinic as you check both the ICSI & IVF boards as we don't have separate clinic threads for each

Meanings ~
CLICK HERE

Starting out & Diagnosis ~
CLICK HERE

What Every New Member Needs to Know
CLICK HERE

FERTILITY INFO GUIDES
CLICK HERE

Male factors -
CLICK HERE
While undergoing treatment, you might find it useful to join other ladies having treatment at the same time.
The Cycle Buddies threads are just for that.
You will find a thread, usually with a funny/inspiring name for this year's buddies. Just pop along to the appropriate month and say "Hi" when you are ready to start treatment.

For Cycle buddies -
CLICK HERE

What can improve egg quality and quantity~
CLICK HERE

For the ICSI board -
CLICK HERE

And don't forget to have a bit of fun while you are on FF and check out the general chit chat / jokes / hobbies area
G&B – Community Fun board
CLICK HERE

You can also chat live in our excellent chat room.
We have a newbie night in the chat room every week (Wednesday at 8pm ;)
where you can meet other new members and get Chatrrom support
and help to navigate the site and using all the functions available here. CLICK HERE FOR INFO ON NEWBIE CHAT

Take some time to look at the help tab too ;)

Check out the Locations boards for where you live & a site search for your clinic ;)

Wishing you Friendship ^fairydust^ & ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^
^goodluck^ Dont forget to let us know how you get on!

If you need any help just ask!

~Dizzi~
^willy nilly^

·
Registered
635 Posts
Hi Laura, i just wanted to know how long the process had been for you and say good luck
me and my boyfriend have recently just started the process, paul has cystic fibrosis so we have known we cant concieve naturally since we got together but i had to wait till i was 23 back in january.
we went for a appointment in april with a doctor who said the waiting list was about 12  months in our area, were going back to see him next month following some blood tests and a an appointment with a different doctor to see about paul having some sprem removed which he is having done next month!!

just bascially wondered how long the process had been for you so far and if your having it done on the NHS?

and good look to you and your husband with all the treatment!!

liz x

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Liz,

Me and my DH have been trying for a baby since June '05. We then went to see our GP in Jan '06 after 6 months of trying. This was early but my sister fell pregnant in the November accidentally and it really got to me, no-one new at this stage but as we were trying ovulation kits etc i was stressing they may be a problem. We went more to put our minds at rest!! My GP did a blood test on me for a progesterone 21 day test to check i was ovulating and my DH gave a sample. We went back for our results and i was fine but GP said DH had low count. He advised us to try a few things but to come back in 12 months as they can't refer anyone unless they have been trying for 18months. We did everything he suggested and then went back exactly 12 months later in Jan '07. We got referred to our local hospital for further investigations. There was about a 3 month wait which was really quick as i know it depends on the area. If your willing to travel i think you can request to go to another hospital with lower waiting list?? On our first consultation i had a pelvic examination. At other appointments i ha further blood tests, a scan to check the placement of overaries and a HSG examination to check my tubes were not blocked. We both had another blood test for anti sperm antibodies to check my body wasn't repelling them! They concluded as predicted my DH had a very low count. I was ok. So my husband was then referred to a speclist for checks with him. He only had 2 appointments, questions and examination to find cause to see if reversable etc. We were then referred to the Chaucer hospital in Canterbury for treatment in Dec '07. Our first appointment there was in March as we had to complete registration forms etc. We start ICSI treatment in July. So after that long waffle the answer is ..... About a year from our first app at our local hosp before our first appointment at chaucer in prep for treatment!! Sorry about that!! And yes on NHS - don't know if we could afford it otherwise. Saving at the mo though in case we need to keep trying. But i'm praying from the bottom of my heart we are lucky first time. I know its not as easy as that but a bit of positive thinking can go a long way. Keep with it and you'll get there. Never give up hope. :)

Hope above makes sense, any questions please ask.

Good luck with all your treatment and keep me updated on your progress. Do you know what treatment you may have?

Laura xx

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Hiya Laura!

Welcome to FF!!

Good Luck with your treatment hon, ICSI is very successful I will keep my eyes open for your BFP  ^reiki^

xxxxx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts