Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Been trying 6 years, tried all sorts (I have PCOS), had ICSI last August, produced 25 eggs, (kept 12 as I did egg sharing to cost the cost) I then had OHSS, so 5 embryos were frozen, had a rest and then decided to have them put back in Feb, sadly only 1 embryo out of those 5 survived and that one was not great, therefore failed!!  We have now been told that DH may have a sperm prob, we knew there was low mobility, but docs say dna in sperm may be killing embryos!!  It seems like everytime I go to clinic I leave with more bad news!! 

Starting to feel like it's never gonna happen!! :( :mad: :'(

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
HI Clarie

Sorry to hear about your embies.

I have had a similar experience, lost 10 frozen embies first time then 8 frozen blasts. After spending a ridiculous amount of money of genetic screening we are still non the wiser for why our little embies perish.
Not heard anything about the spermys though.

Hugs and welcome to FF

Love Lou xxxx

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Hi,

I am new too and this is the first time I have done anything like this so please excuse me if i get it wrong.

My situation is quite similar to yours although I have not had a treatment cycle yet ( due to start in May this year)

My DP's sperm results have always been variable with high morphology so we looked into something called DNA fragmentation which sounds like what you are talking about. In preparation for our cycle my DP has been taking loads and loads of anti oxidants in attempt to repair any damage to DNA- there is a chance that this can help......

Tikki

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Lou & Hi Tikki

Our situations sound v. similar!!  I am almost 32 also!!  Docs told us last week about fragmentation test, and if results were poor to consider doner sperm!!  My DH was really upset, never occured to him that his sperm may be the problem, he is not sure if he could use donor sperm!!  I just hope the results come back ok.

I am not sure how accurate this test is??  Still before we go ahead and spend another large amount of money, we better find out if our chances are any good!!

By the way when you have your treatment, make sure you drink lots of water, it helps prevent OHSS, (wish I had been told this by my nurse!!).

Claire

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Hi Claire,

We had a private DNA fragmentation test done last year and the results came back at slightly over the high limit. That is when we were advised to try lots of anti oxidants to repair the damage etc and retest in a further 3 months time. We have continued with the anti oxidants but decided against retesting as we were not convinced about the reliability of the results.

We spoke to our IVF consultant who pointed out that from a scientific point of view DNA fragmentation test do not have much research behind them to say that they are accurate, so the results are open to interpretation. When I actually thought about this I did agree with her as I have a medical background and do know how to interpret research (am qualified nurse & midwife)

We felt that we would give ICSI a go and if did have problem (ie  at fertilisation stage) then we may consider retesting. We thought that if we retested him prior to starting the treatment and it came back again high we would have gone ahead and tried ICSI anyway but would have had a really negative attitude towards it.

And also my best friend is currently pregnant after about 18 months of trying and about a month before she found out she was pregnant her husband had 2 sperm tests which both came back with 100% abnormality on the morphology and one of them managed to get through and get her pregnant.....

Not sure if I have managed to get my point across but hope this makes sense, I do tend to waffle,

Love Tikki. xx

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
Just to throw a spanner in the works.......... as I said depsite loosing embryos twice in the thaw at The Lister, sperm DNA has never been mentioned to us. they were concerned however that the genetics of my eggs could have been up the spout which is why we had the genetic screening. Apart from 2 embryos it was fine, however the 2 that were no good were the best looking embryos under the microsope(little buggars :()

DH sperm is always good quality and never of a low count so not sure that this is always the problem.

Love Lou xxxx

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi Claire

Hello and welcome

Sorry to hear of your situation it seems you and DH have had an unhappy time of it lately,i hope it gets much better soon ^reiki^

Like you i too suffered with OHSS after EC with the same amount of eggs but unfortunately i was to ill to have them put back in as i had stay in hospital,so we froze 9 embies for July transfer and this was my 1st ICSI too!

Wishing you both  ^goodluck^ with tx
bye for now lisa n X

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.