Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello
I'm new here and me and hubby have been ttc for 13 months I'm 25 he's 30.
We had our 1st fertility clinicappointment yesterday at Dr Tayobs clinic in St Albans but saw a lady.
The doctor asked us all the general questions and looked at our previous results.
She looked at my hormone tests and said they did them wrong and I had to have them done whilst on my period which luckily I was yesterday so she did them again.
I also have to go back 7 days before my next period for more blood tests (even though I'm pretty certain I am ovulating as per my bbt charts & fertility friend)
Then she looked at Hubbys swimmer results which is what I'm concerned about.
She said that the number of swimmers is fine but the motility is a low. She mentioned two percentages needing to add up to 50% and said they didn't. She then said that the motility can change and that his results did not in anyway mean we wouldn't be able to conceive with his swimmers but she was going to send him to re-do the test at Hammersmith hospital in London which has a very good fertility clinic.
Can anyone reassure me that 1) low motility doesn't mean we'll never get pregnant and 2) If the 2nd test still comes back as low motility can they give hubby something to take to get them back to normal?
Our next appointment is not until 18th September but she said wait a few weeks until we think they'd have our test results back and call for cancelations.
I don't think I can wait until september!!

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Hi there

sorry I cant be an awful lot of help but I can confirm that swimmer results can differ between appointments.  My dps first swimmer results were similar to yours I think and they put him on anti-biotics for a month (mind you we then found out that they had in fact messed up the original test).  The first lot that were done properly (as the second lot were messed up too... ??? ) were still not great but by the time we went for treatment (dp ate healthily/drank little alcohol or caffiene etc) they had improved. Someone will probably come on with more info but check out the male factors in infertility section of the board for more info.  There are also vitamins etc people will be able to advise you on.

If there is an issue with the swimmers it is also often the case that they will suggest ICSI so they can choose the best ones to inject the eggs.  There are plenty of stories on here of success with male factor infertility issues.  I had icsi because of my issues but also the fact that we have a history of some problems with male factor

As for hammersmith, I rate them having had my last tx there and I am sure they will do a thorough job of your tests....!

Wishing you the very best of luck for your journey.  Dont feel downhearted yet!

I am sure someone will be along soon with some specific links to relevant pages.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts