Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what to do!! :'(
I went to the Hammersmith for my IVF coordinating clinic last week and i will be starting my treatment in 2 weeks time (my period is due then).
I have hypothyroidism which is being controlled wiht 50mcg of thyroixine but i also have very strong positve thyroid antibodies and i do believe that my problem is implantation :-[ . I mentioned this to the Dr who we saw and he doesn't seem to think thats a problem and that i was reading too many horror stories. I also emailed Dr Beer a couple of days ago mentioning my problem and he definitely thinks i've got NK cells :'( :'( :'( so now i don't know what to do.
Whats the point of having IVF if its not going to take. Plus i'm an NHS patient so i can't even insist on having any other tests done (can i?)
Flopsy if you happen to read this - you mentioned in one of your earlier post that the Drs in the hammersmith don't believe in immnune issues?
I just feel like i'm wasting nhs money. And i can't even bear to think of the heartache my husband and i are gonna be put through.
Flopsy are you from Islington / North London area? Do you have any idea how many nhs gos we get?
:-[ :'( ???
ayla

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Dear Ayla,

I discussed Immune issues with a consultant at Hammersmith Hospital and also with a Prof. at St Mary's.

Both were scathing about immune issues being involved in miscarriage and implantation problems.

I did not ask because I am not some impressionable woman swayed by internet stories. I asked because I have immune system abnormalities not related to fertility issues and was concerned that these may cause problems. They were dismissive and did not have a clue.

If you follow this link it will confirm their attitudes. It quotes Prof. Regan and Hammersmith Hospital work in direct contact with her.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3103182.stm

Here is a snip from that link :

"It is a major concern to clinicians in the UK that patients are turning up to appointments armed with information downloaded from the web and wanting these invalidated immunological tests. "

In Westminster (where I live) we get 2 goes at IVF currently and I am on my second.

Ayla, I honestly do not know the answer to this question and I lack the knowledge of current research to make an informed decision. I also simply cannot afford the tests being long-term disabled.

As an NHS patient I know of no NHS lab that would carry out the tests apart from the obvious ones like APL. This NK stuff is on the leading edge of fertility treatment and I don't know if it will help.

You will find however a great deal of anecdotal evidence from women who have used these tests/treatments and can report success. One of the women on this group has continued at Hammersmith but used Dr Beer's regime (and not told them) and is now pg.

I think that I may know a little of how you feel. Wasting IVF money and the awful heartache of failure.

Here is a link to a yahoo group for women with immune issues and you will find London women in this group.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/immunologysupport/

Hope that this helps.

With warmest regards to you,

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Flopsy thank you so much for finding the time to reply. I've been feeling so down that the fact that you even bothered to reply has made me feel so emotional.
Is the lady who had treatment prescribed by Dr Beer from FF?
Thank you again. I pray and hope you get your wish.

^Cuddle^
ayla

1 - 3 of 3 Posts