Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I'm mid IVF cycle and managed to get myself quite worried by reading about immunology related issues.
Basically I have hypothyroidism and PCOS so there is cause for concern.
My clinic hasn't mentioned immunological issues as a potential problem.  I did the Dr Beer test online and it said they were possible. 

Can anyone tell me how common it is for someone with hypothyroidism to have immunological problems with fertility?
I guess it can't effect everyone with hypothyroidism as I believe it is a genetically inherited problem...
Reassurance sought please!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi there

I'm sorry that I didn't see this posting sooner I'm sure that you have probably worked this concern out of your system by now but in case not, I thought that I should reply.  This is really not something that you should be worrying about at the moment my dear, in the hope of putting your mind at rest I will tell you what I have learned about my condition, which may be similar to your (or not!). 

I was diagnosed with u/active thyroid (autoimmune disorder Hashimotos) as part of pre-ICSI tests last year, my T4 and TSH levels were brought within normal levels and we made our first ICSI attempt.  After my first ICSI attempt was referred to an endocrinologist.  This was in part due to the fact that my consultant had just been to a fertility conference where they discussed autoimmune disorders at length and they had concluded that with my condition better pregnancy rates were reported when thyroid levels were on the high side of normal.  He also felt that I was a good candidate to refer as apparently my consultant had never seen antibodies as high as mine - off the scale apparently and having one autoimmune condition means that I have a higher chance of getting another one e.g. one that would attack embies (BLOOMING MARVELOUS, I was in bits after that meeting, imagining all sorts of evil !! :-[ :-[ !).

To summarise my endocrinologist explained that the levels of my thyroid antibodies were just a number, used to diagnose my disorder and would have no impact on my ability to conceive.  The fact that I have one autoimmune disorder does not mean that I will get another but I do have a slightly higher chance (1/100 instead of 1/1000), to be honest I am happy with those odds... So he basically told me to ignore the autoimmune side and rather focus on getting my thyroid levels on the high side of normal, as that would optimise my chances of conception and carrying a baby to full term.

So to you, focus on positive stuff and not researching into what can go wrong with this cycle...rather on how lovely it will be if all this works!  If you do want any more information, references to websites etc, please just ask.

D :)

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks D
I really appreciate your reply.
I was less worried by now but still concerned so your post really helped.
A friend who has fertility problems and a gynaecologist dad said he told her not to worry as long as her thyroxine levels were correct, so that helps too.
As for you, I think you're (relatively) lucky to have been diagnosed with Thyroid problems as part of your fertility tx and tests - so many people go for years without knowing they are hypothyroid!
Interested that you know it's hashimotos not graves. I was never told by my Endocrinologist which it was.
Anyway, for now I'm trying to be positive. I had two good quality blasts put back two days ago and am just crossing my fingers now!!
best wishes to you and thanks again for your reply

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi elvie

Glad to hear that you're not worrying about this at the moment and that my post helped I have been trying to muster the courage to make a posting so I was relieved to hear that it helped out.  I try to remind myself that I am really lucky to have been diagnosed as hypothyroid (yes you do hear of women that go for years having fertility treatment who are never tested and yes it is alarming how few of us ttc actually are made aware of its importance by our doctors) but I am getting really frustrated by the delay to my next treatment while my levels are stabilised... :-\

Well done on getting 2 embies to blastocyst stage, quite an achievement!!!  Good luck with 2ww, stay positive about this whole process as that seems to be half the battle (and away from those online tests ;) you are just torturing yourself).  Sending you lots of positive thoughts during this testing time, maybe I’ll “bump” into you on the other threads and get an update on how you are getting on.
D

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Hi Shelley

If you check out www.repro-med.net then its on there, its just like an on line questionaire thing. To be honest i would read too much into it, I have thyroid issues and contacted Dr Beer when we were having IVf and he said that I probably had NK Cells. Anyway I decided to see Dr ******* as I have heard alot about him and the test came back negative, although he did suggest things for my thyroid Issue.

Anyway Good Luck!

Natxx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.