Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Just wondering what people think about this. I've been told by my clinic to start eating extra protein and lots of it because apparently they say they've found that ladies on their IVF programme who eat extra protein generally have better quality eggs and therefore better chances with IVF.

I've been doing this for a couple of months now and reckon anything is worth a try but just wondering if anyone else has been told anything similar, followed this advice with any results etc.

Any views?!

love
Gabi

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Marilyn Glenville says that a high protein diet is vital for good eggs so that bears out what your clinic told you. I have bought some Solgar Whey Powder (easily absorbed pure protein) and have a scoop of that with one pint of milk daily. I did this last cycle and had very good quality eggs, I didn't do it the cycle before and had poor quality eggs so I am a convert.

All the best

Jenny

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi Gabi

I have heard something similar namely that high protein diets are good for polycystic conditions. Worth a try definitely. Which clinic are you with? They sound forward thinking!

Good luck

Helena

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi ladies

Jenny, will definitely try the whey protein thing, but where do you get that from, is there some special type to buy? I've heard of people who work out a lot taking whey protein drinks and I'm just wondering if it's the same type of stuff or something different.

Helena, my DH and I are living in Singapore. We're from the UK but my husband is posted here. Geneally I've found the healthcare here to be excellent, they're very forward thinking in lots of ways.

Good luck to you both!

Gabi

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Gabi

I see you have had 7 IUI with neg results and I was wondering what was said to you the reasons why it had failed, because I have also had 7IUI with neg results and was told it may be unexplained so I would need IVF.

Cheers Lynn

·
Registered
112 Posts
This is brilliant info. I am doing a hi protein/low carb diet to lose weight pre IVF so Im hoping that it may have the added bonus of improving egg quality. If anyone is doing the same I drink Atkins Advantage shakes for breakfast (Boots) which are hi protein. Thanks for info. ;D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi

Lynn - it's so frustrating isn't it not having a proper explanation for why there IUIs aren't working. Initally my doctor said he didn't know why we were not having success, he said partly it's a numbers game and you need to do maybe 3-4 to get lucky but now he's thinking it's my DH's sperm results which are all over the place! I did 5 iuis with clomid - DH had 3 good results (one as high as 20 million normal motile sperm and the doctor says anything higher than 3 million is viable) but he's also had 2 poor results - one as low as only 300k! My Puregon cycles have been a disaster even though I responded well, DH only had about 1.5 million normal motile for each, so we've decided to call it a day and move on. How about you? Have you definitely decided to move on to iVF? when will you start?

Max - Glad the info is useful! Seems to be that the consensus is that the more protein the better so I'm going to start taking as much as I can.

Gabi

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi, I have mild pco and was worried about ohss on my cycle and was told by my clinic that this also keeps it at bay esp eggs! I had my first cycle at guys in september and followed a very high protien diet supplemented with solgar whey to go protien powder (delicious in shakes and one of the purest forms on the market). I am now very happily 23 wks pregnant with our little girl, with 9 top grade 8-11 cell embryos available for fet. I posted quite a lenghty post back in october about this as I am adamant that the protien powder/diet not only helped me achieve our dream, but that it made my cycle more bearable. I had over 21 eggs collected and no untoward symptoms. Our embryos were also of a high quality, so much so that the clinical director commented that this was quite unusual. We had 21 eggs collected half ivf half icsi. We had male factor and they only allowed half of them for ivf because we had a lot. None of the ivf were fertilised by the sperm, all 11 ICSI fertilised to grade one 8-14 cells by morning 3.

So my advise to any of you would be give it a go at the very min you would get loads of energy. I'm more than happy to answer any questions on the subject as I did loads of research beforehand, Lara.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Sounds really interesting - I think it is a bit late for my current cycle as I am down regging at the moment but might be worth starting anyway.

Have you any links or suggestions - how high is high protein. At the mo I am just having a normal diet but am taking foresight supplements.

Thx

Clare

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Gabi

Yeah we were told it would take up to 3-4 cycles of IUI. My DH had a vasectomy reversal which didn't work, so after a while we decided to use donor for the IUI. We did four natural cycles and three with Menopur stimulation. The last two needed to doubled because I didn't respond to the first cycle of stimulation.
I was back on Monday for my day three scan to start our 8th IUI and was told we could ago ahead with this and if it fails we would need to re-think what do next which is IVF, anyway I have cyst on my left ovary so treatment was stopped for this cycle.
I was very upset because in past three years with DH treatment, our IUI's and the drugs have cost us over £5'000 so didn't think we would be able to have a chance at IVF. But we have decided not to have the next IUI and go onto IVF hoping to start summer time, need to save for some money and my dad as offered to help out this morning.

Take Care

Love Lynn ^daisy^

·
Registered
16 Posts
I aimed to take a minimum of 60g but ideally 80g of protien. (i.e. 100g of tuna provides about 25g protien). I was a vegetarian for 10 years but started eating fish as it was way too hard for me otherwise. One scoop of the solgar whey to go protien powder has 16g of protien. ! hard boiled egg gives about 11g. I didn't restrict my carb intake, as long as I got the protien.

I searched the web on all the amino acids in the poder and I found an article (didn't bookmark it) saying that one of the key ones is a component in the most successful embryo culture. That was good enough for me!

If you go for a powder do spend a bit more on the Solgar range available from good health shops as alot of the powders used by body builders are full of rubbish, whereas Solgar only use micro filtered whey. Leslie Kenton's the Zone diet (think thats the name) has a good section on it. I think it's a great book fullstop, not to do with infertility though.

Start now if you can I only started just before down reg.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Thanks for that information - I was just about to look for the info on the net and there it was - ie how much protein should I be having, how much in a hard boiled egg and how much in a scoop of solgar whey powder :) I just found out that there is 19g in a pint of milk. See http://www.weightlossforall.com/protein_content_from_good_source.htm

Jenny

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Thx for that info - that is soooo much protein. I don't think I take that in over the course of a week !! I tend to eat more carbs than anything else.

Whole roast chicken for dinner for me then !

Clare

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for all this information - if I was to start increasing my protein intake, when should I start?
I hope to start down regging at the beginning of April - should I increase my protein intake now?

Lili x

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gosh, I know for sure now that I mustn't have been getting enough protein! I bought a huge carton of whey protein drink at the weekend and have started taking it. Two scoops in one pint of milk a day equals 75g of protein according to the label.

My clinic also said good sources are yogurts, red meat, lentils, egg whites (avoid eating the yokes they said because of the cholesterol), baked beans and cashew nuts. So I'll supplement with these and I've started making omelettes with the 3-4 egg whites.

Lili, I think you might as well start as soon as you can. I'll be starting the pill this week and then stims at the beginning of April. I started trying to eat more protein foods about a month ago but have only just started the drinks Jenny and others have mentioned.

Good luck to everybody!

Gabi

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Hello,

intersting thread, I'm vegetarian and always interested in ways to get enough protein. I have read mixed views on tofu and soja protein. I like it but read that it shouldn't be eaten daily.

Jennifer you mention something called L'arginine - what is this?

Best wishes,

Sushi

·
Registered
198 Posts
Do you think it's too late to start now, I started stimming last Thursday?

xx

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Sushi - I'm vegetarian as well. Found this on the net re being veggie and protein -

"There is a popular misconception that meat is the only real source of protein, and thus that a vegetarian diet is inherently unhealthy due to a lack of protein. It is impossible to stress how untrue this is. First of all, the Recommended Daily Allowance of protein is not as high as one might think, and many people - vegetarian or not - eat more protein than their bodies actually need. The approximate RDA of protein is only 47 grams for women and 54 grams for men. Secondly, there are many protein-rich vegetarian and vegan foods. The only problem is that vegetable sources of protein, with the exception of soybeans, are not complete proteins, so you need to eat more than one in order to get the complete protein.

Vegan sources of protein

Cereals and grains - wheat, rye, corn...
Leafy green vegetables, including spinach
Legumes - beans, lentils, peas, peanuts
Nuts - almonds, walnuts, cashews...
Seaweed - kelp, spirulina...
Seeds - sesame, sunflower...
Soy products - tofu, tempeh, soy milk...
Vegetables - Brussel sprouts, potatoes, yuca

Ovo-lacto sources of protein

Eggs
Cheese
Milk
Yogurt
As long as vegetarians (and everyone else, for that matter) eat a wide variety of foods, they will easily manage to eat enough protein - not to mention other nutrients.

If you want to be absolutely certain that you are getting enough protein, you should eat food combinations which form a complete protein, such as:

Legumes + seeds
Legumes + nuts
Legumes + dairy
Grains + legumes
Grains + dairy

Chances are you already eat complete proteins without even trying. Here are some tasty and healthy complete protein combinations:

Beans on toast
Cereal/muesli with milk
Corn and beans
Granola with yogurt
Hummus and pita bread
Nut butter with milk or whole grain bread
Pasta with beans
Pasta with cheese (e.g., lasagne, macaroni and cheese)
Rice and beans, peas, or lentils
Rice with milk (rice pudding)
Split pea soup with whole grain or seeded crackers or bread
Tortillas with refried beans
Veggie burgers on bread
Note that these combinations don't necessarily have to be eaten at the same time; you can eat one several hours after the other and still benefit from the complete protein.

As you can see, there are plenty of vegetarian sources of protein, so the next time some "carnivore" ;-) says your diet is unhealthy, you'll know how to respond.
Bon appétit !"

Gabi - thanks for the info from your clinic.

Lili - yes increase your protein now.

Kim-s - thanks for that list.

Serafena - I think any increase in protein will be of benefit, although it would have been better to have started a month or two ago.

All the best to everyone

Jenny

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks Jenny,

I eat a pretty balanced diet anyway, lots of milk and dairy as well as meat, etc, so I'm probably ok anyway!

Jen

1 - 20 of 84 Posts