Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys (and girls).  Have just joined after reading alot of your postings.  We are planning to start our first cycle in 2005 and want to avoid icsi if we can.  Has anyone got any tips for improving semen volume/sperm count?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Gosh where to start!!! Reading through the back catalogue of postings on here would be a good bet as there are lots of links and information on things that people have tried.  This is what we did:

Marylin Glenville vitamins (male and female versions) with 1000mg flax oil and 1000mg vitamin C.
DP took 180mg pycongenocol
Cut down alcohol consumption
Increased exercise
Organic diet especially fresh fruit and veg (bagged salads a no no for males unless organic due to chemicals pumped into bags to keep them from browning - interupts male hormones!)

We did this for four months prior to our ICSI cycle starting and we are sure that was a significant factor in our success first time around.  We have no hard facts apart from the comment from the embryologist that DPs sample was very good at EC!!  7 out of the 8 eggs fertilised and were all good quality, 2 went back and the rest are waiting for us the in freezer!

The key thing is to support each other, stay positive and maintain a sense of humour - you need it to survive the rollercoaster!

Wishing you lots of luck
LindaJane

I also tried reflexology - some people swear by acupuncture and chinese remedies but my DP was not keen!

Dont dismiss ICSI out of hand - our clinic has a better success rate with ICSI than IVF, but of course it does cost so much more.  We were lucky to have our first attempt on the NHS.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi Froggie,
Me and DH have just completed first round of icsi, although not successfull, we have 7 grade 1 embryos left in the freezer. (the embryologists said that our batch of embryos were the best they had seen all year, so its just unfortuate that it didn't work this time for us),It's the quality of the sperm that matters for icsi, not the quantity!. My Dh took multivitamins, and wore boxershorts instead of pants, and his job involves alot of sitting down, so he had to stand up for more of the day. He had 3 sperm tests and by the day of EC there had been some improvement in both quantity and quality. So every little bit your DH can do will improve the chances of it being successful, and also its his contributing factor to the IVF as well its a joint project!!!

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
My DH had an original count of less than 1 million. Today after 3 years of cold showers 'there' twice a day, boxershorts, many many vitamins and a strict diet avoiding all oestrogenous foods we were told he had hit 40 million!!
Thats the good news, the bad news is that the morphology was still awful. 40% were swimmers but more than 95% of the total sample were 'abnormal'.
Any tips to improve morphology? ???
Lizi

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
froggie - do you have any SA results yet?

Added to the boxer & vitamins etc... is to reduce stress  ^reiki^

Why not ICSI, is it cost or worry?

Andy

·
Registered
161 Posts
My partner also falls into this categry, how you can you find out which foods are oestrogenous foods ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts