Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!

A bitshocked and confused this morning...went for my 12day scan this morning[7th month clomid] and had 1follicule 15mm and on the other side lots of small ones.I then noticed that she had written mulitcystic on my notes??? When i asked her, she said they looked polycystic, and that i must have had multicysts before but they just didnt show up on the scan....[i have seen the screen on previous occasions and there was definatly not as many before ]I have ,so far , not been diagnosed with PCOS and do not have any obvious symptoms..does anyone think the clomid could cause this????[and could i have it without any symptoms]

Also When i say the cons 2 weeks ago he said i was to go for scans every 2days to see what is going on ,but today the nurse said i did not need any more scans and that i have to go on sun evening for injection of pregnyl[ HCG]-That is a shock as cons did not mention that i would need to get that..is it because the follicle at 15mm is too small??? The Nurse then said most fertile time would be next tues/wed..which i thought was quite late???

All and all i am not too bothered with the sudden change in treatment-at least its is a move on from before its just unexpected this morning..it confirms my beliefs that my cons is not a very good communicator!!

Has anyone any experience of this they can share with one shocked and confused gal!

Vickilouxxx

·
Premium Member
4,144 Posts
hi there Vickilou

sorry you're in a tizz

I'm not sure about the PCOS bit of your query but as far as the hcg injection goes I can tell you what it's meant for me.

I'm now on my second month of clomid - and I have scans around day 11/12 to see size of follicles. At my particular clinic they look for anything of around 17mm (but it's different for each individual clinic) and then once the follicle is that size they give me an hcg injection to bring on ovulation (even though I ovulate naturally - they say this will just 'guarantee' things as my problem may be that I just don't ov every month)

Anyhow - after the injection I'm told that around 36 hours later I'll ovulate - so it's down to the jiggy jiggy between that day and for around 2 days after the day of ov (as they say eggs can survive for up to two days after being released) So I guess that's what the nurse means by tues/wed being your most fertile time (the day you'll ov)

Also - with your follicle being 15mm today - there's info elsewhere on this site but they grow between 1-2mm a day so by Sunday it will be nice and juicy big to burst. But one thing I didn't know until I got into this whole clomid thing was even though you will ovulate (the hcg guarantees this) there is no guarantee there will be an egg inside the follicle. I was quite gutted when I found this out - but it helps put everything into perspective.

Hope that helps

S
xx

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi there

You can have polycystic ovaries (PCO) without having PCOS. Ovaries can have lots of cysts, called functional cysts, which are quite common. It could be that the clomid is causing this but I wouldn't like to say since I'm not a Dr !

As for the follie at 15mm...they like them to be a minimum of 18mm to be mature enough to rupture & release an egg. Follies grow about 1-2mm a day so by Sunday yours should be mature...not sure why you'd need a trigger jab (hcg) if your follie is mature but perhaps it's just to ensure that it actually ruptures & ovulation is triggered.
After the trigger shot you should ovulate within about 36 hours. An egg can only live for up to 24 hours so you need to get jiggy until about Wednesday/Thursday...

However, that is just what information I've gleened about hcg shots as I don't have them so perhaps someone else will be able to help more.

The reason you probably don't need any more scans is that they can see you have a dominant follicle & that ovulation is close.

Good luck & take care ^reiki^
Natasha

·
Premium Member
4,144 Posts
Hi Vickilou

both times I've had my hcg jab i've had mature follicles (two that were big enuf first time round, and one the second time) but my clinic likes to give an hcg jab to guarantee ovulation.

hope that helps

S
xx

·
Premium Member
10,520 Posts
oh heck, how confusing  ^idiot^
I can't help answer your concerns but hopefully the other girls have.
take care xx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.