Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm quite excited cause this is the first time I have ever started a new topic. In fact I'm not sure if I'm doing it right.

Well, I am officially an inbetweenie. I have just completed my first cycle of ICSI which unfortunately was negative last weekend. I have spoken to my clinic today regarding a follow up visit and they have told me that the earliest the consultant can see me is the end of September as I have asked about egg sharing again. I thought that this was ridiculous for a follow up visit so I asked if there is any way they could get me in earlier and they are calling me tomorrow. After reading other postings most people tend to have their follow up straight after. If I knew what my next step was and when I might be able to start I would feel a lot better as I would have something to focus on.

So in the meantime I am going to spend as much time on here as possible focusing on everone elses treatment to make the time go a lot faster.

How are all the other inbetweenies?

Love Louise xxx

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi louise,

I am also an "inbetweenie" mind you I have'nt posted for a while.... I have been having some IVF free time. We are'nt cycling again untill next may so I will be an inbetweenie for a while. Much as I would like to go again soon we need some time together away from the stress of it all ::)
I hope you get your follow up soon and dont have to wait too long ;)

love Ann xxx

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello there Louise & Ann,

Ive posted on the 2ww board, but I see wev'e all made it accross here now too. :)

Well, after last weekend's failed attempt at ICSI, :'( im waiting for a counselling appointment on Monday. Have either of you been to counselling at all? Im wondering what to expect, whether they will ask questions, or just wait for us to blub! :'(

Sorry you are still waiting to have your review meeting Louise, it helps to go to it asap to discuss the way forward. We were lucky to get in so fast. (went on Monday). I dont know how they did it so quick - DH was the one that took the call with the negative result, and he asked them what we should do next and arranged it before we both got too upset to speak.

Am hopefully starting again later this month day 21 - 27 July, but will need a little op, hyterscopy or something, similar to a lap, during the first week of down reg. This is to make sure all is ok, as they think I have heart shaped uterus, and I want to make sure this isnt preventing implantation.
:-\

Ann, sounds like you are waiting for quite a while. We were waiting for 2 years until this cycle, as the funding wasnt available. Unfortunately now, we have to self fund as you only get one go where we live.

Well, keep posting, and we will help each other through this.

Love

Kay :)

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hi, I'm quite a dab hand at being an inbetweenie now, as this is my 3rd attempt. I'm hoping to hear from the hospital with a date for tubal surgery any day now, as i get hydro in both tubes. They want me to have my tubes removed before going onto attempt #4. It's really good to have a bb just for us, as i never quite know where to post.
Karen

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi all,

I've just moved here from the inbetweenie part on the ivf board. My first ivf was unsuccessful in March and I've been having loads of problems with the hospital as to when we can try again. So I'm still waiting.

I hope you hear from the hospital soon Karen and that you don't have to wait too long for the surgery.

Sorry to hear about your negative result Kay. Let us know how you find the counselling. I didn't have it, but sometimes wonder whether I should have done. I hope it helps.

Ann - well done on making the decision to wait. It's a tough one I know, but I have actually found life less stressful during this enforced waiting period and think that maybe it is a good idea to have some time off occasionally. I hope you are able to make the most of your time together. Have you made any nice plans?

Louise - sorry to hear about your result. My follow up appointment wasn't until about 8 weeks after my 1st ivf failed. It can be very frustrating to wait I know, when you just want to get on with things. I hope you get some good news from the hospital and they move it forward for you.

I'm waiting to hear from my hospital, but am hoping that we'll be going again around September time.

Take care everyone,

Love Laura :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi inbetweenies,

I'm one of these too. I had an adandoned 2nd attempt in march/april this year. followed by a hysterscope to remove polyps and fibroids. We are planning on cttempting icsi again in sept/oct. We are at St Mary's Manchester and lucky enough to have nhs funding. I am 31 and DH is 34 and we are male factor, good quality sperm but not much of it. We have been ttc for 7 years and waited 3 years on the nhs waiting list.

good luck to all

karen m

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi everyone, and thanks for your replies.

Karen, please can I ask you about your hysterscope? as my doc is making an appointment for me to have one of these to have a look inside to see if I have a heart shaped uterus with a septum or not. After my last failed ICSI cycle I want to find out if this had anything to do with the embryos not implanting or not.

What i would like to know is, was the op done under full anasthetic, how long did it take, how long did it take for you to recover? and my last, but most important question: My doc is planning to do this op after the first week of day 21 down reg - he says that I will have a bleed during this week, and he wants to do it when the blood flow has stopped, and hence the womb lining at its thinnest.

Needless to say, I am worried that him poking about in there, and removing any septum at the time if he has to, will prevent the cycle working If I havent recovered in time.

Is this a little op, or something that will require proper recovery time?

The reason why I know little about the bleed is because my last icsi was done using a 'short protocol' which required no down regs at all - just straight onto stimms on day 3 of your af, so this is all new to me.

Any reply would be much appreciated, good luck for your sept cycle, have you got funding for more than one cycle on nhs?

Love

kay

XXXXXXXX

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all

Well i've finally moved over to the inbetweenie board.

Tested negative yesterday - and af put in her ugly appearance.

Don't even know when follow up appointment is - have to hospital again today.

I think that I might go to counselling this time - although not sure what to expect and if it's ok to go. Any body got any ideas on that one?

Not to sure that i'm in the right place mind - i'm not sure when we are going for treatment again. It's sooo expensive and we've got to save hard now.

Well guys look forward to speaking to you all again soon

It's so good to come off the 2ww and have somewhere else to go. I don't know what i'd do if I had no one to share this with.

Speak soon

Take care all
Em
XXX

·
Registered
112 Posts
Dear Em,

Sorry to hear about your result. I haven't tried counselling, but I know that some people find it very effective. I will consider it when I eventually get round to my next treatment.

It's a really tough time for you at the moment and it will be hard to make any decisions. It's good to have this in between place to post isn't it? (I would say that you're in the right place - I don't know when my next treatment is yet either). Sometimes these waiting periods can be worse as you don't feel that you're actually doing anything positive. It will be good to be able to share our frustration!

I hope you feel better soon, but you know where to come if you need to get it all off your chest.

Take care,

Love Laura

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi I attended counselling at care in nottingham. I have to say I was sceptical at first, but it was probably the best thing I could have done to make me feel able to get in there and do it again. She was really understanding and let me blub when I needed to but also gave me enough space to work things out myself.
I sought of feel it should be compulsory( only joking) ;Dbut if it was we wouldn't feel weak and useless when we decide to go.
A friend said to me when I was at my worse be ::)gentle with yourself

·
Premium Member
6,624 Posts
Denise,

Welcome to FF - I think this place will help top up the good work the Counselling has started for you ;D.

All the girls on here are fab, so supportive and so understand what each of us is going through.

I sought Counselling after my 2nd failed attempt at ICSI - I'd hit an all time low and the pain I was feeling emotionally was just so unreal. I'd said to my friend a couple of days after my -ve result that if I'm feeling like this in a week from now - I'd seriously consider seeing a Counsellor - something I didn't think I'd ever hear myself saying - being the cynic I am!
My friend told me the same as yours - to be gentle on myself!

A week later, I was feeling a bit brighter - but still inside, I was being torn apart so I bit the bullet on the Friday, phoned the Clinic for an appt. and hey presto they had a slot available the very next morning - which was just as well as otherwise I may have changed my mind - this left me no time to do so!

Well I got in there - and talk about not shut up from the moment I sat down - the poor Counsellor barely got a word in! and even commented at the end - well I can see I wont have difficulty getting you to talk. I went for a couple of sessions - more because I was desperate - thought if this is what i'm like just after 2 goes, what would a 3rd failure do to me - so I was kind of building myself a safety net.

During the 2ww of my 3rd Cycle - I found this site and have lived here ever since and after I got another -ve, the support I received was terrific - everyone really understood. I waited and waited for the same pain to arrive, if not worse pain - but it never did and now, thanks to the great friends I've made here, I'm on my stims, for my 4th (and +ve) cycle and am feeling really good about it - though if I'm honest totally scared at the same time.

Sorry if I've waffled on (in fact I have) - as you can see, I'm not good in giving quick stories :-[

Anyway, I wish you all the very best for you next cycle and I'm sure you will make many friends on here, especially those that will become Cycle buddies.

Take care hun,

love,

Sue MJ :-* :-*

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi everyone again,

At the moment I seem to be posting all over the place. I posted yesterday in the 2ww section but have got to stop it. I am now an inbetweenie. I don't know whether anyone read my post in 2ww but things are looking better for me now. After the nurse told me I wouldn't be able to get a follow up until the end of September, I was told yesterday that I can definitely egg share again, and I can start again whenever I'm ready, and I don't need a follow up (unless I really want one). They said I can start again this month if I want to, but I think thats a bit too soon. I'm going to have a month off and providing af is on time I will be starting again the end of August. They are happy for me to carry on the same as last time as the nurse said even though I only got 10 eggs they were all good quality, so fingers crossed they will be all good next time. In the meantime I have booked a 4 day break to Amsterdam, which I am really looking forward to, as it is just what me and my dh need. I am going to make the most of my IVF free time.

Ann - Enjoy you're IVF free time and make the most of each other. It's so easy to forget each other and just get obsessed with the treatment when you are in the middle of a cycle.

Kay - I have had councelling, but only before I started treatment. What sort of councelling are you having? The councelling I had honestly did not make any difference to me, as it was more of a little chat. I find this site more beneficial that councelling. I know some clinics councelling can be really useful though, I think it depends where you're going. Good luck, I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you on your next cycle.

Karen U - Any idea when your date for surgery might be? Will you be starting your ICSI cycle straight after or do you have to have a little break first? Keep chatting on here and the time will fly by. That's my motto anyway.

Laura - Have you spoken to your hospital yet? They sometimes have to be hassled a little. I know mine has to be. It looks like we might be cycling around the same time if you are the beginning of Sept.

Karen Murray - Good luck on your next cycle. Spend as much time on here as possible and the time will fly by honest.

Em - I have posted to you on the 2ww section. I told you I was all over the place.

Take care all and speak to you soon,

Love Louise :)
xxx

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
Hi

Sorry to nose in over here but wanted to say HELLO!

Also LouiseW - really glad that you can still egg share as I know that was really playing on your mind! So it sounds like you've already got the answers that you wanted and can go again when you feel ready to.

Good luck to you all during the waiting time.

Love sue
x

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi all,

I've still not heard from the hospital and will start to phone them again soon. I agree you do need to hassle them, but my hopsital are particularly frustrating. (Ivfs were suspended for a while due to an HFEA inspection). It's taking them forever to get sorted out again. Latest was a letter asking for date of last period - but next one is due next week and still no news! :mad:

Louise I'm really glad that you've been given the go ahead to try again. I agree with you that a short break is a good idea. It will go quite quickly I'm sure. By the way you'll love Amsterdam. Dh and I went earlier this year and had a really good time. There's lots of interesting things to see! ;)

It's been interesting to read the views on counselling. I will definitely give it a go now when I feel the need. At the moment I'm pretty much OK - but it can hit you at funny times I find.

Hope everyone is well, take care,

Love Laura

G

·
Hi everyone......I'll get to grips with which bit everyone is on soon...so bear with me.
I'm waiting to start my second cycle of IVF/ICSI. My first IVF cycle ended in -tive in May. My review was in June and we were told that the eggs were fine, the sperm was fine, but they just didn't want to mix ! The hospital have recommended ICSI for the next try, which I don't know too much about - but I'm sure I'll get some good info on FF.
We are hoping to start in September - the hospital we're at makes you wait for 3 clear months between cycles, however I have been having some mid-month bleeding since cycle #1 so I'm getting worried that things may not be back to normal in time.
Had a smear / test at GPs last week so eagerly awaiting those results.
We've been ttc for 3 years - unexplained infertility - and I am so hoping that next time is +tive because my emotions are all over the place.......

Haven't been on FF really since cycle 1, however the in-between treatment section was too good to resist.

Look forward to getting to know everyone
Linda x

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi everyone

Just want to apologise to you all for my really negative attitude yesterday - I was not very good was I? So Sorry for that guys.

I feel much better today though - had some time on my own and mulled things over and things are a lot clearer now.

Still waiting to be given my follow up appointment - cannot make any decisions until we have got that - looks like it will be end of August possibly going on September now though.

I tried to get counselling - but again there is a huge wait apparently so have decided that will just counsell my self along with the help from ff and you guys.

(Actually I found a really theraputic way of counseling today - SHOPPING - yep I went and spent loads of money today all on myself and I will not allow myself to feel bad for it - actually felt good to spend and think of something else for a change).

Well speak to you all soon.

Good luck for the 17th suemj

Lots of love
em
xxxxxx

·
Registered
112 Posts
HI everyone!

Posting twice in one day, I must be keen!

Em - please don't apologise for your negative post. Your feelings at this time are completely normal - nothing to be ashamed of or need to apologise for. Well done on the retail therapy. I find it works well for me too. Either that or a long lunch with a friend accompanied by several glasses of wine! (Healthy diet and Marilyn Glenville stuff conveniently forgotten for an hour or two!)

Linda - I just had to respond straight away as I went to my GP on Monday for exactly the same reason. I've been having troublesome midcycle bleeding with bloating and some pelvic pain. He also did a smear and has referred me to a gynaecologist. Although I would imagine that my next ivf will come before that appointment. It'll be interesting to see how you get on. Did you have problems like this before the ivf? I did on and off and I think it's probably hormonal, but as I have a history of endo, I'm a bit worried about it. As for the emotional side of it - remember that you and your body went through an awful lot with the treatment. It takes a while to get back on track.

Love Laura

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello Fellow Inbetweenies!

After posting like mad during my cycle - it's taken me a couple of weeks after my negative results to get back into it - I may not have been posting but I have been thinking of you all :)

Some of you I know from the fantastic chat room ;D and the others I'm sure I'll get to know soon!

I had a negative on our first IVF three weeks ago. We had a follow up at the hospital last week who said they really couldn't give a reason to why it hadn't worked - just bad luck. Although I only had 7 eggs, they all fertilised and 6 were top grade. My womb lining was also nice and thick. So just down to luck. or not :'(

We have four frosties so we have decided to have a go with those in oct/nov. I just feel I need a bit of time to recover from that rollercoaster. I had an ovarian cyst removed 3 years ago and had endo lasered but the hosp say it's unexplained and it could happen.

By the way - I put the fact down that they all fertilised due to both me and dh taking marilyn glenvilles fertlity plus which turns your pee bright orange!!

If that doesn't work - we'll probably have another go at IVF next Spring (need to save up!!).

As my run of good luck continues !! I was involved in a car accident last night (women behind me decided that talking on her mobile was more important than looking where she was going) and ended up in an ambulance in a neck brace and spent most of the night in casualty!! Fortunately nothing was broken - just bad whiplash - but I do feel like it's my turn for a bit of good luck now!!! We all need some good luck please!!!

It's great to feel like we have our own place to post now - and hopefully get to know each other ;D

Best of luck to everyone.

Lots of love
jojo xx

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi Jojo,

welcome to the inbetweenies. My first ivf results were very similar to yours. We had no explanantion for the failure either, other than we were part of the staistical two thirds for whom it didn't work at that particular time. Unfortunately we didn't have any frozen though. I've been taking the vitamins this time round, so I'm hoping that they might help with ivf 2. The pee thing was a bit shocking at first though I agree. My Dh maintains that it is worse for him as he gets embarassed when using urinals in public places!!

Sorry to hear about your accident, I hope you feel better soon. It's really about time that mobile phones were banned in cars. Very dangerous.

Your time will come and I agree your luck has to improve. In the meantime, try to enjoy the next couple of months drug free and less hormonally challenged!

Love Laura

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hello ladies,

Well after Friday's -ve result it's nice to find somewhere to go next with some familiar names (although obviously I am sorry that it is the inbetweenie thread rather than the one we would all rather be onl ???)

I've spent the weekend chilling out and drinking wine - like Laura, giving Marilyn Glenville a wee holiday. I don't have Next Steps planned yet as I wasn't physically able to speak to the nurse who phoned on Friday! Poor woman must have thought she was talking to herself!!!! Must phone this week to sort out a follow-up appointment.

Jojo - hope you are feeling okay today.

Incedentally, I can't get into the chatroom ::). Have tried via the home page menu - is there another way in?

Take care,

Flo

1 - 20 of 177 Posts