Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry - me AGAIN!

I saw the consultant today and was gutted when he casually told me they will induce me at 40 weeks because of my age (I'm 40.) I said I really didn't want to be induced that early and wanted to at least wait to see if I went into spontaneous labour, and he said it was up to me, but that the baby could die inside the uterus if I went past 40 weeks as the placenta won't be that strong "in a woman of your age."

I wasn't prepared for this at all, and was really looking forward to at least starting off for a natural birth (even if I ended up screaming for an epidural later on!) I feel like it's all been taken out of my hands and I'm dreading the birth now.

I tried to ask him more about it but he wasn't interested, just kept writing in my notes and wouldn't even look at me. To be honest, I'm not sure his English was that good, or maybe he just didn't want to listen to me.

Are you able to tell me anymore about the risks I may face going over 40 weeks? Is this common practice? I'm thinking of asking to see a different consultant at 20 weeks for a second opinion, but that's 6 weeks ago and I want to be a bit more prepared next time.

Thanks,
Jo x

·
Premium Member
6,142 Posts
Hi,

There is a very slightly increased risk of still birth when you go overdue if you are over 40, but it is very slight. However this does seem increasingly to becoming common practice.
You have a right to see a different consultant and discuss it with them, the one you saw doesn't sound to have had a lot of people skills! You don't HAVE to be induced if you don't want to be, it is your decision. I would advise you to discuss it in full with the other dr, get all the information and you can then make your choice based on that,

Emilycaitlin xx

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Emily, I will do that.    The Dr did say "it's your choice" but it doesn't feel like much of a choice when you've just been told the baby may die!      So I'll get myself as informed as possible before I speak to the next Dr.    Thanks again,  jo x

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.