Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question (or two) for you... :)
I have SPD/PGP,  that is to say I have a LOT of pain in my pelvic and lower back area.
My consultant has just raised the subject of inducing me at 38 weeks to reduce my 'suffering'.
a) what are the risks to the baby of being induced at that time?
b) am I more likely to get complications resulting in a C-section from induction that early? (I was induced before but that time I was past my due date)

Just to say I was induced with my last baby so I know what's involved, I don't find the concept too scary I'd just like to know the risks with an early induction (DD was induced as she was 2 weeks late).

Cheers!
Lizi.xxxxx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,867 Posts
I was induced at 37wks due to pre-eclampsia, in my case I was induced, I had 10+ hours of 2nd stage labour and then had emergency c-section this was due to Alex getting into distress, my condition escalating to stroke risk and then to add insult to injury I had only dilated 3cms (this happened in first couple of hours) and I didn't progress any further... the two health concerns (mine and baby) aside i'm unsure whether the 'early' induction left me unable to dilate because I was effectively wasn't ready...?!

Your body has done this before so i'm sure you'll have no problems with labouring but it may be worth asking your consultant the question?!

On the baby side of things, Alex had a lot of vernix still on him which indicated he was indeed evicted and not ready to come of his own accord, he was 6lbs5.5oz (he was expected to be 8lbs+ at term) so the few weeks did make a reasonable difference to his birth weight - all that said though he scored 10 on both AGPAR tests immediatley and shortly after birth - so he was healthy, he developed jaundice a few days after birth but didn't need treatment.

I'm waffling now, I hope this helps in some way.

Good luck with your impending arrival.

Bev xx
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,424 Posts
Hi Lizi,

I was told babies are classed as full term from 37 weeks so your baby will be fine, and there's no way your consultant would suggest induction if it wasn't in your best interests. My only thought is that if your baby is not ready to put in an appearance and you are not ripe then it could be unsuccessful and result in a section, but OTOH and in your favour, you will already be slightly dilated because of having dd and your body does know what to do.

Good luck whatever you decide,

Chux xx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,577 Posts
Hi

38 weeks is definitely fully cooked so no worries on that front. Anecdotal evidence seems to suggest inductions can be more tiring as there is no build up of labour but that would be the case at 38 or 42 weeks so that shouldn't make a difference. There is more chance with you being ready if you are overdue but 2nd babies seem again anecdotally to put in earlier appearances so that may also not be a factor for you.

I had an induction just before 38 weeks with no 1 - pre-eclampsia mostly - I put it off a week but then the docs put their feet down.  It was fine but it was a pretty long labour. I was 3 cm dilated when I went in and the first shot was at about 6pm. I went into pretty strong contractions almost immediately but the baby wasn't born until 2.30 the next afternoon after 2 hours pushing so pretty tiring. I did avoid all instruments and a c-section. For my second the induction was booked for 38 weeks but he took it upon himself to arrive early under his own steam in under 5 hours from waking up in the middle of the night and then only 15 mins pushing so you never know yours may have his/her own ideas.

Best wishes
Betty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,814 Posts
Hi Lizi,

As the others have said, 38 weeks is classed as term so no developmental issues as far as baby concerned. However, I was induced at 40 wks with Lucas (although hosp said I was only 39 wks). Because he wasn't ready to arrive the induction process took a 2 days and with a little one already at home, I ended up being away from H for several days and I hated it  :-[ Although it is good in terms of you being able to arrange childcare arrangements without flapping and panicking when a normal labour kicks off.

You could end up with a failed induction resulting in a cs, especially if you/baby are not at all ready to labour but when I had L, as I had already had one baby, I was told it was much easier being induced with a 2nd or subsequent baby. Although it took 2 days to get labour to kick off, Lucas was never distressed at any point and when labour did start, he was born an hour later  ;)

Good luck

S xx
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,184 Posts
My friend delivered naturally with no intervention at 38 weeks and another friend had hers at 37 weeks and was home the next day so there is no issue to the baby at that stage as they are classed as term.  As your last induction was obviously successful I would say the chances are good for everything going to plan.  Inductions only usually lead to sections when the body doesn't respond to the drugs and the cervix fails to dilate as far as I understand - and this seems to be irrelevant to gestation... 

Good luck with your decision  :-*  ^reiki^

Fluffs xxx
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
29,892 Posts
Hiya Lizi

As other ladies have said 37 weeks is classed as full term
So baby will be fine

I had Zachary at 38+1 (induction was booked for 37+6)
I was told that they dont like to induce before 38 weeks as the cervix doesnt respond to the prostin gel as well.

Once my waters had been broken all was fine
I had Zachary at 2004 hrs and was sat at home the following afternoon
Zachary although has had probs wasnt anything to do with the induction at all more my lack of milk

Hope this helps
Em
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,424 Posts
Just to add that when I went through induction with J, on the third day I was in agony and had to have gas and air just to be examined so was given the option of going home to recover for a few days and trying again, or opting for a section. As I was already 42+1 (42+4 by original dates) I decided it wasn't worth the risk of going even further over but it may be an option for you as you will still have a few weeks to play with. I shall keep everything crossed that it doesn't come to that though!

Chux xx
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top