Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

My wife and I have decided to knock infertility treatment on the head. We're feeling relieved about that, and excited about pursuing our chosen path of adoption. After years of stress and disappoinment, now we've decided to move on we feel freer than we have done for such a long time.

Only trouble is, where we live we just discovered that we have to wait until December just to attend their information evening, before we can even get properly started on the approval process. All the sooner meetings are booked up, they tell us. To be honest this has come as a bit of a blow, and we're slightly getting the all-too-familiar 'in limbo' feeling again.

We would really like to know if there are any hedges we can jump to try to start for our goal right away instead of wait.

If anybody knows anything that might help us, we'd really love to hear it!

Good luck everyone
Damien

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi Damien and DW,
Welcome to the adoption board.  ^wave^

Although your local LA is busy until december you can approach a different local or voluntary agency within 50 miles of your home - could this be an option? On the BAAF website, they have a list of all adoption agencies around the country so you can see who to get in contact with.

We had to wait 5 months to get on a prep course and have been told it could be up to 6 months to be allocated a social worker - so it is all over the country! 

Good luck

love
T
xxx

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Hi

I have edited your posts just for your own privacy as these are public boards.

T is right that you can apply toi any LA/VA within 50miles of your home, we personally went with one 40miles away due to the fact that children need to be placed within a safe distance of birth family and if we had gone with our local LA we would have had to wait for a match via the national reg or another LA in our region so for us it was quicker.

It took us 9months from 1st email to approval and 25weeks from approval to matching and now we have 2 little ones!

I think adoption is now very very busy as for us we got through the process very quickly

Hope this helps

xxx

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Hi

Just a thought but have you asked if your names could be put down to attend the course if for one reason or another some one was to pull out and a position came available?  Might be worth a try??

Andrea

·
Registered
53 Posts
Our info evening was 5 weeks after our 1st phone call with our LA, but they did them in 2 towns and we asked for our name to go down for both, and that we would be happy to go at short notice if a space came up. xx Good Luck. xx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts