Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
I am remembering a while back that someone was recommending a leaflet or a book (can't remember) which was specifically for the family and friends of adopters - to help them understand all the ins and outs, and make them aware of the various issues surrounding adoption...Does anyone know of such a thing? And was it helpful?

We have just started our home study and I feel like I have already had loads of 'explaining' conversations to people (who are being very supportive I must say) - and what with all the other conversations with SW we have ahead of us (!) I am slightly exhausted already, and don't think I can keep this up for the next however long it's going to be!! (ie ages)... I felt that burden of keeping people 'informed' during tx - and I really really don't want to get into that whole thing again. I know it's just cos people are interested and wishing us the best, but..... :-\ know what I mean??

Best wishes,
Cam xxx

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Hi Camm

there is book aimed at grandparents which is sold via Adoption UK called "Related by Adoption a handbook for grandparents and other relatives" but to be honest my mum didnt like it nor did dh's mum, but i did get the book called Adoption Diary by Maria James and i read it first and passed it on to mum and she enjoyed it, then it came back and dh read it and now our sw is reading it, i also brought Adoption Experience by Ann Morris which i found very useful as it gave case studies etc.

best of luck with your journey

Julia x

·
Registered
751 Posts
Hi,
We also gave that book to family and I think that it was some help. One other idea may be to photocopy some of the basic info that you have probably recieved from your LA which will hlpe them understand the process better and hopefully mean that your conversations will be a bit more meaningful and that you won't be constantly repeating yourself.l
All the best with your journey.
Viva
X

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi viva and julia
thanks for this, i will look out for the book, and will have a chat with sw about it too.
thanks for your good wishes too  :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts