Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Can anyone help, I'm having treatment at Eugine clinic using donar eggs and need an injection on day 21 of my cycle, my GP won't do it they say they are not insured, has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks,

Lizzie

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
Is it prostrap? or the depot one, do you have the drug in hand - I can see they would refuse to prescribe it for you.. I had prostrap and it was sub cut into my tummy, my friend also did her own into her bum and it was an intramuscular one. 
Where in the UK are you? as you could ring NHS Direct for advice, a pharmacist might be willing to and charge a fee- they do travel vaccines and flu vaccines, maybe a walkin cantre, but you would need an email/protocol from your clinic like a precription saying what the drug is, the dose, who you are, how it is to be given and when.

There are private walk in clinics in London- eg Princess Grace hosptal so they might be willing, or a private clinic- it might be worth ring Dr Gibb at the Birth Company- good luck

This might get moved to peer support or somewhere!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advise, it is a depot one, which is why I can't do it myself, however if your friend did, then maybe as a last resort I could do that. I do have the vaccine and had no problem injecting myself before when having IVF using my own eggs.

Thanks again and good luck

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
I don't understand why you can't , maybe they never showed you if you end up on IM gestone you will have to have this for 12 weeks and give it in your bottom- or get a friend to.  I would book in to see the practice nurse and ask her to instruct you and your DH to give the injection if they will not give it themselves. i did my own as the clinic charged £200 to give it and the drug only cost £75 when I gave it myself (I am a nurse) so it is easier!

Good luck

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hi Lizzie,
I am glad I came across your post. I had exactly the same problem when I also went to Eugin in 2008. It was yet another obstacle to overcome on this journey & stressful too! I work in healthcare (private) & I found out that no one (NHS) in the UK would do it because they are not insured. I don't think a private nurse can do it either for the same reason but you might be able to get round this if you get a letter from your consultant from Eugin, but this didn't work for me. The reason I was given is that I wasn't under a UK consultant (at that time).

As far as doing it yourself, I definitely couldn't have managed it (tho' I am not a nurse). It is more complicated than the normal IVF ones which are designed for self-administering.

I eventually managed to find a friend of a friend who used to be a nurse & she did it 'ilegally' so to speak, as a favour, into the bum (important that you miss the sciatic nerve so I think it is a bit risky doing it yourself even if you are able to, & I think you need to know what you're doing - there are youtube videos which I took a at look at because my sister was going to step into the breach if all else failed). The other thing to say is that I couldn't get it on prescription anywhere in the UK because I was not under a UK consultant then. Therefore, I had to get Eugin to send it to me. Because it was Spanish the injection syringe was different & when it came to it my nurse friend couldn't work out how to release the syringe (it had a strange lock on it & came with poor instructions). Luckily, I had taken some suitable syringes from work as spares just in case & she was able to put the liquid into one of these then inject as normal.

Phew! It really was added stress that you can do without at this stage so I really hope you manage to work something out. The irony is that I am surrounded by nurses at my work & maybe one of them would have done me this favour but I didn't want the whole world knowing so didn't feel I could trust any of them not to talk.

Good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,
Strange my doctor (NHS) did the injection with no problem.  I made the appointment with the nurse, but they came back and said they preferred  a doctor to do it instead.  they were really helpful.
I did not mention about the D/E,  told them it was for ivf. I also did not tell them i had gone abroad,but had treatment in this country - don't know if this made a difference?

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
When I had treatment in Spain I paid for an overseas monitoring package- many clinics do it I can tell you places in London if you need them, and for £500 I got 3 scans and all the drugs transcribed onto UK scripts- thye could do bloods for extra, and use the nurses.
My friend gave her own in her bum, and the single girls all have to give their own jabs including the IM ones so pop onto there and ask as they are contourtionsit, but I wouldn't fancy do my own
Good Luck
L x

1 - 8 of 8 Posts