Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Merry Christmas

I was actually after a few tips as I starting my injections tomorrow :)
I am very bad with needles and the nurse told me to do it like throwing a dart......emmmmm

Can anyone give me any other tips from one scaredy cat to another  ;)

Thank you

Vanessa

·
Premium Member
10,615 Posts
grab/pinch the skin so that it makes a "hard ball"...the harder the skin the easier to pierce.

oh and dont do directly under your belly button it hurts there  ;)

i did i one side one morning, the other the next, so i didnt get to sore and the drug spread around

good luck  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Vanessa - alternate sides each day (I found tummy better than thigh), also either warm (using wheatie type microwave bag) or freeze area first (try both and go with what you find best), I have to say I was terrified the first time but it was amazingly easy and you will become a master of it in no time. The pinching is also a good tip.

there are quite a few videos of people doing injection son You Tube (show you how to mix drugs etc if you are on one that needs mixing)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
does anyone use alcohol pads for the injections?

·
Premium Member
10,615 Posts
nope i didnt

·
Premium Member
3,551 Posts
I used alcohol pads my first cycle but not been given them since. I'm like you and hate needles and have been lucky that  I had an autoinjector for most of the drugs I've had to do but my gonal f this time won't go in it. I tried the dart approach and couldn't do it. In the end I found it much easier to just press the needle against the skin until it went in. Didn't hurt really and was much less stressful.

good luck

Cath x

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What happens if i accidently jabbed with an air bubble at the top of the syringe, should i be worried  :(

·
Premium Member
3,551 Posts
I think air bubbles are a problem if you're injecting into a vein but not much to worry about if it's into flesh. Some of the pens we had we were told not to get rid of the air bubble as it might waste some drugs and not to worry if a little air went in. If you're still worried, give your clinic a call.

Cath x

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Just found this thread started buserelin injections last night, find they sting a bit and a tad painful, will try warming area, and numbing, I alaso thought about buying some alcohol pads, will see what happens, dreading 2nd feb when start gonal f as well...

·
Registered
429 Posts
hi angela - my 1st gonal f really stang and felt sore after for ages. It did get better though - maybe you get used to the drugs? Also for some reason some days were better than others. The gonal f is soooo easy and doesnt hurt at all xxx

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Thanls samsa, i', sure i'll get used to being a pin cushion...lol

·
Premium Member
3,551 Posts
Hi Angela, sadly it's amazing how quickly you get used to becoming a pin cushion. My first gonalf took 40 mins to do as I was so worried about injecting myself (without an autoinjector) and it took dh threatening to delete my fave programs off sky+ to make me do it  ^idiot^

Good luck.

Cath x

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Cath b, I get hubby to do mine, proba could do it myself, but as we have all the drugs and mood swings to deal with, gives him a job to do.lol
also having a bit of trouble drawing up buserelin, any tips please anybody?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi ya

What sort of problems are you have with the buserelin, is it the air bubbles?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
yes the air bubbles, but reading other posts and info on cycle buddies, I should have a draw up needle, and the jab needle, if that makes sense, only got 1 needle, from hospital at the mo, drugs haven't arrived from homecare yet.x

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi there,

I'm on day 6 of stimms. for the DR injection I was terrified- I had the syringe not the pen which on reflection, I am quite pleased about as it prepared me for the next one.

DH is completely useless and is more afraid of needles then I am. So the first thing I did was shut him out of the room, I was much better on  my own. I found the more I thought about it, the more worked up and panicy I got. I treated it like part of the morning routine and did not stop to think about it.

out of shower
music on- sing to it!
underwear on
sat on edge of bed to draw it up- I talked to myself too.
flicked some of the bubbles up and pushed air out but didn't worry about it
pinched skin and gently pushed needle in.
counted backwards from 10 pushing down so I was finished at 1. I did this quite slowly.
needle in sharpsbin
quick arm celebration
continue to get dressed
I try to do this all quite slowly but fluidly as the more I think about it the worse it is.

Hope this helps, good luck hon x

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
sounds like a plan..annairb..lol

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hi Angela29a  just noticed that you started your burselin same day as me and i take my gonal f also on 2nd feb with ec week feb 14th. Do you know if we will be having our periods before we take the gonal f ? thought we did my not turned up yet!!
Hello to eveyone else on this mad journey
emma

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
ejg..cycle twinnies..spooky...Well I thought I would get one mine was due friday when I started but not arrived yet, this happened on my 1st cycle, af was late, but then that was the only one i got, didn't get any more.where abouts r u??Im in norolf, under james paget hospital and bourne hall cambridge.
Good luck, keep in touch:0)))))

·
Registered
293 Posts
Morning ladies
Angela i am down in dorset under mr dooley at the winterbourne hospital.
Are you waitung for you drugs today i am from homecare, we have to pay for are treatment.
Are you on any more treads or have you any cycle buddies yet.
emma

1 - 20 of 29 Posts