Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We wish to move frozen sperm we have at a UK clinic to have treatment in Greece. I understand the HFEA will only grant a license if the country it's going to meets the EU Tissue Directive (the clinic we're using doesn't, I don't think any of them in Greece do) so we'd like to take it ourselves. I've talked this through with the clinic in Greece and transporting the sample dry ice in our check in baggage is allowed by airlines and the time frames work.

If we tell the UK clinic our plan will there be any issues? I understand we have the right to collect our sample in person, the transportation on a plane in the hold is legal so I'm hoping as we're not intending to use a courrier company we won't have any problems.

Any information gratefully received.
Many thanks
LadyV

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Hi LadyV

Quite apart from the regulatory issues, it's obviously something to consider very carefully, since you will of course want to make absolutely sure that your samples stay in deep storage and don't suffer any damage during transportation.

Ordinarily transportation is from clinic to clinic, and the HFEA licence rules require clinics only to supply frozen sperm to other regulated centres and generally to ensure safety during transport and at the other end.  I'm not sure whether you can collect your samples in person, and this is something to explore further.

Natalie

1 - 2 of 2 Posts