Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ladies

My LO is 7 months and has been on solids for some time due to reflux. He now has very thick purees so the next stage is to introduce lumps/finger foods.

Have put some cous cous in his lunch during the past couple of days and although he gagged at first after a couple of mouthfuls he barely seemed to notice.

I'm happy introducing the lumps but am a bit worried about finger foods. Spoke to a HV who suggested soft foods like carrot and bread. I know this is a silly question but how bit should the pieces be? I don't want my LO to choke but at the same time doesn't he need to be able to hold the pieces of food?

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

Onedaysoon xx

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
I started with big chunks that could be held and gnawed on. Try things like rusks, rice cakes or fingers of toast or bread to start with. Also remember that gagging is a natural reaction to start with and as hard as it is, try and give him a moment to see if he'll sort himself out. They normally will and it'll help teach them to chew before they swallow.

Good luck!

Chux xx

·
Registered
759 Posts
We did what Chux said - gave our LO biggish chunks of bread and toast - well, finger-sized, big enough for our LO to hold in her hands comfortably. The thing is with toast and bread it all turns to mush in their mouth anyway - she used to suck the bread sticks/toast at first because she had no teeth!

Another thing we gave our LO was mashed potatoes and soft (boiled) potato pieces, just big enough for her to pick up and softer than carrots etc. It's still one of her favourite foods and it's less likely to stick in the throat in the early stages.

Good luck,

Kasia

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply ladies.

I bit the bullet so to speak and gave my LO some toast the other day. It was hilarious to say the least. He proceeded to bash the high chair with it and every time I tried to direct it his mouth he blew raspberries at me. It was so funny I had to turn away and laugh.

Have given him other bits and pieces but am not sure much has gone in yet. Feeling much better about it all though.

Onedaysoon xx

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
LOL at the raspberries. At this age it's as much about feeling and playing with different textures as eating them but some will go in eventually!

Chux xx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts