Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am Cygnus. I am 44 years old and have had a severe chronic illness since I was 23. This has prevented me from having a family. My condition has finally improved enough for us to consider trying. Life is complicated even more as I carry an X-linked genetic disorder, and have a past history of severe endometriosis (no surgery, thankfully). So, I have been referred for IVF at the Hammmersmith Hospital, because the consultant who looks after my medical condition is based there.
Can anyone give me any info about what HH is like for IVF? To my horror, my consultant said he had spoken to Mr Magara, who has suggested I will need to use an egg donor before he has even seen me!!! I was sent this little gem in an email!! Not the best way to convey this sort of info. So, I already have a bad feeling about this before we have even started. All advice and info gratefully received, I am a complete beginner in the whole fertility business.

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Hi Cygnus
Well you've made it to treatment and found your way to Fertility friends.  That's two positive steps forward!
I'm sorry you've had such a hard time getting there.  I'm not at the Hammersmith so I can't help with your question, but just wanted to wish you luck.  There's bound to be an answer on FF somewhere to any questions you have, and everyone will look after you.

Since you're being treated at HH I guess you're in London somewhere?  If you look under the meeting places section on this site you'll find the London girls thread - you're welcome to join us, I think a couple of the girls are at the Hammersmith. 

It does sound like you've had a pretty strange introduction to the hospital so far - if you're not happy you should ask to be referred elsewhere.  The last thing you need when doing IVF is to feel uncomfortable about your consultant.

Best of luck,
Claire xx

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Hi Cygnus,

Sorry I cant really help you with info about the Hammersmith - I did have my lap and dye there and found them ok, but have been elsewhere for IVF/ICSI.  Like Claire says, if you are based in (or near) London check out the London Girls thread on the Meeting Places board - some of the girls there are at the Hammersmith, but there are people who can recommend alternative hospitals if you are unhappy with your consultant and want to change.  I must say, getting an email telling you that you will need to use donor eggs is insensitive to say the least. 

Hope to see you over on the London Girls thread - we also meet up once a month in central London if you fancy a realxed but fun evening out with us.  We meet at a wine bar - I've been to the last 2 meets and I highly recommend it.  Maybe see you at the next one?

All the best,
Olwen xx

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Hi Cygnus,

Welcome to FF!

We have a Goldies thread on the IVF board, please take a look in there.  You will get tons of support and advice.

Laine x

1 - 5 of 5 Posts