Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wanted to ask a question for a friend. my best friend has been ttc for 13 mths, she went to the doctors who advised she have some blood test done to see if she was ovulating these came back fine so the doctor has suggested that she has a laparoscopy to check if her tubes are clear, when i had my tubes checked i had a hsg (we went private my friend is using nhs) just wanted to know why she is being told to have a lap which is more invasive than hsg. any thoughts

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Not sure if this is of any help, but I was 'offerred' both, but 'recommended' to have a lap because I suffer from severe pain on the first day of my period.  I know the NICE guidance does say women should be offerred a HSG in the first instance, but maybe your friend has something in her history or something going on now, eg possible endo, which may indicate to the Dr that a lap would be more beneficial.  By having a lap, if they find anything which can be 'fixed' they can do it there and then, whereas if she has an HSG and they find something, they'd have to do the lap anyway, and, in some clinics (if they're NHS) she'd possibly have to go to the end of the waiting list for the lap.  I've chosen to have the lap for these reasons alone.

Hope this helps

Claire

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I would agree, if offered a lap I would do it as there are lots more things they can check for than in a HSG.

Ruth

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I had both but was offered a lap first. The Hsg just confirmed that both tubes were blocked so was a bit pointless really.

Have to say, the lap was far less painful and less complicated then the hsg.

L xx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts