Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just wondering if anyone is waiting to be accepted on the egg share program. Or has been before, it's been 5 weeks since I had all my tests and counselling and I still haven't heard anything back. I called last week and they said it takes 4 weeks for results to come back, even though I called when it had been 4 weeks.

I know they've moved premises and must be up the wall but I'm going nuts.

Plus I'd just like a buddy or 2 who is going through similar things.

Thanks

Beth xxx

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi Beth

Yes we're in the exact same situation. We've been told to wait four weeks for test results before we know we have the green light. It's four weeks this coming Tuesday so will be calling the for an update... Sounds like there's a backlog then which I guess is unsurprising with the change of premises but difficult all the same! Best of luck with it and I hope you hear soon! Xxx

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hang in there the waiting is so unbearably frustrating. Still haven't heard, it'll be six weeks on Wednesday. They said last Wednesday all my results were in and Alison had just passed to the nurses so I would hear really soon. I think their soon is completely different to mine as soon in my language would be in the next couple of days. It's been 4!

I think I may call again tomorrow but I'm not holding my breath. Hope you hear soon.

Beth x

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi Beth,

Well I called this morning and they said the move hadn't delayed getting any lab results through, with the exception of AMH. We got our AMH some time ago so according to them we should get ours this week which would be on track. Is AMH one of the ones you're waiting for? Hope it comes in soon for you! The waiting is really hard. Have you done your pen picture? I've not done it yet, partly because it's hard and partly because I don't want to get invested in a positive outcome if they say I can't go ahead...But then I don't want to delay anything if we get the green light as I know some people have taken weeks over the wording of the thing!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I so hope you get them this week.

I am gutted and from what you've said I feel like they are lying to me. I called again today to be told that the nurse wasn't in last week and she is still to look at my results so it'll still be another wait. It'll be 6 weeks on Wednesday. I had my AMH done well back in March when my husband had pre-op bloods done. All my forms are in, pen puncture and good will. It did take me a month to write the pen picture - I mean what the hell do you write without either a. Sounding like a prat or b. sounding dull as dish water? I found writing the goodwill quite a lovely experience - strange though it sounds - I just pictured talking to a happy, loved child and imagined the love I'd want them to have experienced from their family. It made me feel intrigued/excited to one day perhaps meet them - if it worked. Trying to explain that felt strange, I don't think anyone would quite understand having to write that letter. A nice kind of bizarre.

I'm waffling.

I must admit I'm feeling scared that I haven't passed if they are taking so long with mine. The 'usual time' for results to come back keeps going up each time I call. I sound like I've called a lot but I don't think I have. Called on the 4th week, then a week after n today was the earliest I've called. Think I'll make the husband do it next time I feel like I keep getting fobbed off and I'm starting to get a bit upset. Man I hate this infertility lark it sucks.

Sorry to nosy, but what treatment are you having? We need ICSI due to make factor - hence DH's op. Did I read in your signature that you're in a CP? (I am sorry if I got that wrong, once you've started replying you can't see people's signatures anymore) I am a bit ignorant of what treatment you'd need, a friend in work, her partner had their baby but I was ignorant of all treatments then so did really ask.

I'm a nosy cow, I won't be offended if you don't answer that.

Anyway I've definitely been blabbing, hope you get your results soon honey.

Beth xx

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi ladies

Hope you don't mind me joining, I am only at very early stages with mfs and was searching for any reviews as initially we were wanting to go with lister london (still may) but logistically Manchester is much easier with oh job and 3 year old at home.

I have only just scanned all my paperwork back today and she said she would pas to the doctors for consideration, can I ask how long it took you all from this point to making an appointment for bloods Etc or will first appointment be consultation?

Have they told any of you how long from results to matching as I have read conflicting stories.

Thanks
X

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey lulabelle.

Our initial consultation was not actually with MFS but with one of their consultant urologists at his private consulting rooms. That was on January 22nd 2013. We first went to MFS in march for DH's post op and I took the opportunity to have my AMH test - to see if I would qualify to proceed with egg sharing. Don't quote me on this but I think it took 2 weeks for the results to come back. DH had his op in April we then had to wait 5 weeks for an available appointment for our egg share appointment (ultrasound, counselling, talk with Dr Leibermann and bloods taken).

As to time scales I am working on 3 months from bloods to being matched. They said it takes 4 weeks for results to come back (bit of a fib as it'll be 6 weeks tomorrow since I had my bloods) then the embryologist who matches donors to recipients said they haven't had anyone waiting longer than 2 months to be matched. If I'm waiting long than 2 months from now I'm going to be more than miffed.

Waiting aside - as in this game everything involves waiting, it can't be helped, even though it is upsetting - the staff have been excellent. It's a very friendly, welcoming place and I have felt at ease and confident in everything I've experienced so far. Everything is clear, out in the open (prices especially) there is no bull poo. Dr Lieberman (even though he did say the results would be back before 4 weeks - maybe he was having an off day) is brilliant, explained everything really clearly, gave me straight forward answers and backed up his opinions even when I asked about embryo glue. So yeah, I have every confidence in the clinic - I just want to know if I've been accepted!!!!!!!!!! Grr.

Ha ha. Good luck with whatever clinic you choose, I hope it's been helpful and sorry if I rambled.

Beth xx

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thank you for your reply.

I am totally prepared (I think) for the waiting as from reading any one who done egg share programme posts its the waiting the hardest, I guess once you know your accepted you can relax I am just really keen to start the process because if its a no we can deal with it but the uncertainty you can't do anything about.

Have they said if all your bloods are ok you are accepted and can start? Also do you know what results need to be to be accepted, I've had day 3 and day21 bloods done by go so could see if they are acceptable levels.

Have they gace you any idea when you may find out?

Do you mind me asking have you ever had any fertility treatment before? This our first look into it so finding it quite complex and daunting but excited at the same time x

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's our first fertility treatment together although DH and his ex did IUI with donor sperm previously. So it's completely new to me but sometimes I feel like an expert as you can easily google your life away. If you've just started looking into it; the HFEA website have a download booklet about all the fertility treatments available, what they entail and the drugs you may be given. It's really informative.

The doctor will need to know your 3 n 21 bloods but those notes can be referred from your GP - I just got a print out from my GP and brought it with me. There are a lot of bloods that they test for egg sharing and most of those are to check its legal and safe to store you're biological matter, but fertility specific they test your AMH level. This is a hormone produced by the follicles in your ovaries - they can term it as 'your ovarian reserve'. The higher it is the more 'fertile' you are likely to be. They'll probably do FSH too but I think they took about 8 samples if not more.

I am just waiting to know if I have actually been accepted and my bloods are what they need to be. It's 6 weeks tomorrow and I'm getting worried that I've not passed. But the sooner I know the sooner we can start saving to pay for full cost treatment as we don't qualify for NHS as DH has already had a son.

Hope that's helpful

·
Registered
135 Posts
i know thats how i feel all i seem to do is read everything about it, sometimes its good other times i think i over do it.  thanks for the advice I will look into the HFEA website.

I am going to the GP tomorrow to check what my results were, at the time they were taken they just said the levels were fine so i didnt think to ask for print out etc but i will check the results tomorrow, do you know what it needs to be to be accepted by MFS i know with lister AMH needs to be over 6 but thats all i know I am not sure with the other tests. what i dont want to do is go down this route if i dont even have levels that would be accepted.

i dont have any hereditary problems nor goes our son so i am hoping i would be ok on that basis.

i am sure you will hear any day now, have you chased them? (or is that a silly question?) look on the positive side if you had not been accepted they have nothing to gain by not telling you, so I am sure its positive news. any idea when you get passed how long until matching? I know lister in London is very quick as they have lots of recipients waiting but I am not sure about MFS.

sorry for all the questions I know its all quite new to you but you are a few steps in front of me.

xx

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know how high AMH has to be, nobody ever told me, I googled my result and what it meant and they said it was high so I'd be accepted with that.

When we spoke to the embryologist who is part of the matching team at MFS she said it takes a few weeks but the longest wait they have had has been 2 months to match someone so I'm going off a 2 month time period. I think it must just be different for each case. I don't think there is a waiting list for those needing donor eggs so maybe lister is quicker if it has a shortage of donors?! I don't know. Maybe you could call each clinic and ask, I'm sue they'll provide you with more detailed info than I can give.

I've been calling the clinic weekly since the 4 weeks they said the results would be back. I don't know if they're just processing everything all at once as my form, goodwill message and pen picture were all returned before the 4 weeks. Well that's what I'm telling myself to keep positive anyway. I'm making my husband call tomorrow (week 6) see if they'll tell him.

Hope you find out what you need to and make your decision. I'm sure you'll be fine for the program if there has been nothing wrong with you so far.

Beth x

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi all,

Just wanted to contribute to this and say my wife and I have been with MFS from the start, although we got a lot of tests done with the GP and only a handful of bloods, the AMH and ultrasound at the clinic. Both were painless and quick from what I remember. We're now waiting for the remaining tests we had done four weeks ago to come through and then we have everything for egg share. My wife has called today and all but one have come back clear (it was four weeks yesterday so that's not bad considering they have re-located and that's understandably a setback). The one remaining one can often get delayed apparently but I couldn't get out of my wife exactly what it was (something to do with hormones, thanks dear!) but we should get it this week. So hope that's encouraging to those who are waiting for results.

As for waiting to be matched, are you aware that at the beginning of this year the age limit at MFS was reduced from 35 to 32? I was devastated by the news and had to plead my case because I'm 33. The only reason they let me continue was because we'd already had our consultation and some tests done so we were seen as 'in the system already'. They reduced the limit because they had too many donors and that had a knock on effect on wait times. I assume this will improve from now on. I was warned (and please don't take this as gospel as I believe she was covering the clinic) to be prepared to wait up to six months to be matched. This was the words of the consultant but I haven't heard of any cases taking that long. Two months seems about the longest I have actually heard of, although she did add that the matching team might not want me to be at the bottom of the pile because of my age, so we'll see.

We have chosen to wait because we absolutely love the clinic. They are lovely and supportive to us as a same sex couple and me as a pretty bad needle phobic. Welcoming atmospheres do count when it's pretty emotional stuff that's happening. For us personally even 6 months feels ok because we want to re-locate from Chester to Manchester at the end of this year so we're going to ride it out, although I know not everyone is in a place where waiting is an option. Very interested to hear peoples' actual experiences of wait times!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey ladies.

Thanks for your thoughts arnica I agree they are lovely at the clinic. Yesterday I got DH to call as I just couldn't face it. But all the nurses and egg share team were meeting about the cases when he called.

At the end of the day we got a call back and...

Yay - we were accepted! They are missing one of my bloods because of the move so they have to do that again but they said it can be done at my next appointment (whenever that will be). But I have been moved to the matching stage! Such a relief I was really starting to panic. They said Claire the embryologist will be in touch by the end of next week. However I am taking that with a big pinch of salt and think maybe I'll hear in the next month.

Another step made - whoop! Oh my goodness I could almost get excited. I am realistic that our first cycle is not likely to work but I just want to have the chance to try. It'd be amazing as we never thought we could even try let alone have a baby so I am so very thankful and happy right now, a little step closer.

Anicca, I hope you hear soon. I knew about the age limit change but I'm glad they're sticking with the process they have started with you, another point in MFS' favour.

Beth xx

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi Beth,

Oh that's interesting that they had a meeting to review all the egg share cases, good to know we're not being forgotten! Best of luck with your cycle. I'm so impatient now lol!
x

·
Registered
135 Posts
beth - fantastic news so pleased for you.

well I have still not heard, I am trying to be patient but its so hard as I just want to start the ball rolling, all we are waiting for is for the consultant to look over our applicantion forms and decide if we can continue, I have emailed again today to chase but not heard back as yet (2.30pm) although hayley did say yesterday she would come back to me. Its encoraging to hear that you all have high opinion of the actual staff and clinic (we have not got as far as that yet) I am hoping the lack of communication is just because they have changed premises and maybe have a lot of donors to deal with.

Do you remember how long it took for them to get back to book an appointment once you filled in the initial application form? also the next step will they do all bloods, scan & councilling or are the a few appointments first?

So does this mean it all starts for you? excuse my ignorance but I am totally new to this so i am not sure what the next step would be.

Hi anicca thank you for sharing your experience its very encoraging you are also a step ahead of me but hopefully I will be joining MFS soon I am sure you can see we have only just sent our paperwork back which they received on monday and I am waiting for consultant to look through to see if we are eligible to move to the next phase, this is our first IVF so all new to us - how about you?

good luck ladies xx

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi Lullabelle,

Just one thought for you, have you thought about getting some tests via your GP? As long as MFS have printout evidence you've had what you need they will accept that. We saved quite a lot of money that way.

The clinic have been quite flexible with us. We live in Chester and my wife is a nurse so getting the two of us together in Manchester can be tricky. They've been really understanding and they booked it so we could have counselling, the consultation and the bloods all one day for example. I do think any lack of communication is due to the move and it should improve soon.

We did the tests in two stages because initially we were going to try IUI. We had additional tests when we decided to egg share. I'm not sure if it maybe takes a bit longer if you get tested for everything all in one go. It is indeed first time for us and first attempt to conceive at all. It's strange sometimes as I know a lot of people on here are further along in their journeys but for us, without sperm, we're completely at the starting line.

Best of luck to everyone xx

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi anika, we had bloods done a while ago by gp and since we changed gp they do not have the paper copies but our nhs fertility consultant may have so I have an appointment with him next Monday so he may give a print out but when I asked mfs if they would accept they said as its egg share they have to do all their own tests any way so I am not sure it would speed it up but I al going to ask so Incan check my levels to see if they would be acceptable for egg share.

I hope the relocation is the reason for lack of response as I don't want to keep chasing the issue I have is we have an appointment with lister in London next week as I didn't realise there was a clinic inane heater offering this and lister have been the complete opposite they couldn't contact enough they responded straight away and I think they accept more patients and more lienient with who they accept but as we live in Yorkshire Manchester is a lot closer as you have to go for scans and visit the hospital quite a lot which is not ideal with a 3 year old.

How exciting for you being your first I wish you all the luck and hopefully we won't be long on getting started xx

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lulabelle,

I waited a while for them to get back to me about egg share, I think it was about 3 weeks from handing in the questionnaire and I chased them a little but they couldn't proceed further with us until they knew we had sperm. This is (sounds bizarre) at trying to conceive as from the beginning we thought it wasn't ever possible as DH was told during his previous relationship that he had absolutely no sperm in his ejaculate.

So I feel its a miracle that we are even at this stage. As to what happens now... More waiting. It's all about patience. We've been put forward for matching, from what I understand this means we are matched physically to a recipient. The recipient then has an appointment at the clinic and shown 2 profiles - mine and another donors. They can read the goodwill messages and portraits of both and make their decision based on them. They choose a donor and then treatment can start. That's what I understand of it anyway. I could be wrong.

I hope they get back to you soon xx

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi all,

Oh that's interesting about the tests for egg share having to be done all through MFS. Yeah Lulabelle that's what I understand of choice of donor too, you get two to chose from and they take it from there. Best of luck now you have got this far!

So I phoned today and got conflicting information again. The woman my wife spoke to a couple of days ago told her we only had one test outstanding but this lady said there was more than one. Argh who knows! We have an appointment booked on 28th June, next week, with the NHS to see if we can get the scan people get done before IUI on the NHS (hopeless and can't remember the name of it!). Anyway if we get approved for egg share the appointment and test would be completely redundant and time off work is so tricky at the moment I don't want to go unless I need to. If we just knew what was going on! At the moment I'm delegating and assuming I won't be in work and we'll be going to the NHS appointment but who knows :( The waiting is getting a bit frustrating today.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hang in there honey. It's horribly frustrating but you will get your answers. It maybe worth emailing Alison Kay. She emails back pretty handy (within a couple of days max) and then you've got everything down in writing and not a remembered phone call conversation. It's so difficult when your partner gets told one thing and you another - seemingly, but its just you forget exactly what somebody has said. Having things in writing you can see your answers clearly and keep looking back at them. DH kept getting really frustrated that I wasn't totally clear about what I'd been told on the phone. Maybe it's just me though lol.

Anyway, if you're feeling frustrated have a good old rant on here if you need to, I find it always helps.

Ps. Just read my last post back - I meant to say it is our first try too, somehow I missed that out.  ^idiot^

Take care

Beth x

1 - 20 of 66 Posts