Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My RE prescribed bactrim for a UTI.  I was alarmed when I got the pharmacy information sheet that said it should not be taken in the first trimester due to interference with folic acid.  I read about 7 large epidemiological studies on pubmed and medline that indicated it increased the risk of heart, kidney, spina bifida and cleft palate FOURFOLD when taken in the first trimester.  A few very very small studies (50 - 200 women) said is did not increase the risk.

When I questioned my RE at length she insisted it was safe and that I had to take it or risk kidney infection or miscarriage.  I continued taking it but think it might have been a mistake.

I later called my former ob/gyn, who responded--they gave you WHAT?  AND THEY KNEW YOU WERE PREGNANT?  She said she almost never prescribes it in the first trimester due to known association with birth defects.

Help--where can I get definitive information?  Please don't tell me to talk to my doctor who prescribed the med, because she's already lied to me (probably to cover her butt) and I don't trust her AT ALL.

Is Bactrim DS often prescribed for UTI's in the first trimester in the U.K.?  If not, why not and where can I get more information?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Help!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Broken Wing
Without meaning to appear rude, the nurses on here are not experts on the whole medical field and indeed may not be able to answer questions where drugs are known by different generic names to those in the US.
The person you need to speak to regarding this is your family doctor or your obsterician, who are expert in the field of medicine & surgery in the US.
Hope you get the answers you need

1 - 3 of 3 Posts